Bulletin Board Ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MissAmy, Jul 14, 2006.

1. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Jul 14, 2006

Every teacher in our elementary school makes a Back to School bulletin board display in the hallway outside their classrooms. I am a new teacher in the fifth grade and need some ideas. I have looked for back to school bulletin board ideas (Welcome to fifth grade) but everything I have found either follow a certain theme or are too childish for fifth grade. I don't have a classroom theme but I do have several motivational posters with sayings on them such as TEAMWORK -together everyone achieves more. Can you all give me some ideas for beginning of the school year bulletin boards?

3. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jul 14, 2006

Check the thread about sports-themed classroom on this forum. I added some ideas to that last night. My theme this year is TEAM especially sports teams.

My back-to-school bulletin board will be entitled... "Welcome to our Team!!" I will be putting up the acrostic poem for TEAM (the "Together Everyone Achieves More" one) and cutouts of all kinds of sports equipment. ReallyGoodStuff.com has a bunch of materials with the sports theme.

You don't have to have a theme to decorate your BB. You could make up a saying like "Swim on in to a 'Sea' of Success!" Put your students' names on fish cutouts and decorate accordingly. You could also do an acrostic poem for Fifth Grade.... use subjects, expectation, or activities that you are planning.

Fun
    Independent Reading
    Fabulous students
    Time for Friends
    History of our Family

Great teachers
    Researching our families
    Art Education
    Doing what is right
    Exceptional parents & students

4. Momto2

Momto2 Rookie

Jul 14, 2006

Sports Theme

Hi! What about "All-Star" 5th Graders. I am doing a sports theme as well. My BB will be Welcome to Our Team like the last post.Kelly

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 14, 2006

I'm going to do this (thanks to the member here that I stole it from!) - step into fifth grade. On the first day I'll have them trace their footprints. Or maybe at back to school night.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2006

I've done this in the past. On the first day I had the kids trace their footprint and decorate it to represent themselves. When I take the "feet" down they go into the student portfolios. It is always funny at the end of the year to compare how their feet have grown!

7. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 14, 2006

You can definitely use your motivational posters with the welcome back bulletin board. Tie the posters into a more obvious theme as others have suggested and display the names of the students on the roster in some sort of shape related to the theme (great to use the school die cutting machine if you have one) Add an activity the students do on the first day to the board.

8. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 16, 2006

You could use "Welcome to our Team" and have paper t-shirt jerseys for the students to decorate. You could have their last name on the shirt and a number. Then use clothesline and real clothes pins to stretch across your wall to hang them up.

9. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Jul 17, 2006

I like this idea! Thank you.

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 17, 2006

I have a Survivor-like theme this year with my fourth graders... though I am trying to do something completely different with the theme than I've seen done before.

Sports themes, as mentioned, are wonderful, too. :) I'd like to use that theme so much, yet there's been a teacher online who has already!

11. busyteacher

busyteacher Rookie

Jul 17, 2006

Check out the website "Really Good stuff" they have great welcome to our team stuff.

12. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Jul 17, 2006

What kind of things do you have included in your survivor theme?

13. busyteacher

busyteacher Rookie

Jul 17, 2006

Cant make up my mind about a theme for my room. Now considering a luau or tropical theme. Any ideas for phrases for reading and writing bulletin boards?