Bulletin board ideas for secondary LA

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by LynnB, Jun 13, 2009.

1. LynnB

LynnB Rookie

Jun 13, 2009

Where can I find ideas for a bulletin board in a high school English classroom? Are there any books or web sites geared toward secondary language arts? I can't seem to find any.

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2009

It's generally not something we spend time on in HS classrooms - most of the classrooms don't even have BBs. You might think of an overarching theme for your year, or feature your main reading selections.

4. LynnB

LynnB Rookie

Jun 13, 2009

A bulletin board is permanently mounted in my classroom, and I have to decorate it because it plays into my evaluations. I have highlighted the novels for the year, but I am tired of doing that. Sometimes I place a quote with a corresponding picture, but the board is very large.

5. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jun 13, 2009

I have one too, and typically use it for posters and samples of work for whatever unit we are currently studying. I also use a small portion of it to post student grades (by ID number). Nothing terrifically exciting really, but it works...

6. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2009

Check out Teachers Discovery. They have some great secondary bulletin board stuff. I love their grammar posters using photos from the 1950s. They also have lots of literature stuff and a whole section devoted to Shakespeare. Here's the link:http://www.teachersdiscovery-english.com/english.asp
    I find their prices to be reasonable, and their customer service is great.

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2009

This just blows my mind!

8. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jun 14, 2009

What about an information center? Post the lunch menus, upcoming due dates, an announcements students may need, class rules, and sports schedules. That's what many of the teachers in my school do.

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 14, 2009

I second checking Teacher's Discovery.

On my big bulletin board I did the following: I made folders for all of the area college with information I printed from the web about tuition, programs, etc. I have folders that contain information for different scholarships. I have folders with career information and job choices. It is very popular and is used often by the students.

10. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Jun 16, 2009

At our school, LA teachers are required to use word walls. Most do this on the bulletin board. They may have a giant drawing (such as a tree), surrounded by words the students are or have learned.

11. LynnB

LynnB Rookie

Jun 16, 2009

The bulletin board is at the back of the room behind the students. My word wall is on the side wall where it can be seen (my word wall changes; but with one of them, the words are on big flies that we SWAT with fly swats, so it needs to be accessible). Thanks for the suggestions--it helps to have fresh ideas!