Bulletin board homework/classwork management system

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bonnjer, Jun 28, 2010.

1. bonnjer

bonnjer Rookie

Jun 28, 2010

A short time ago, I read about someone using their classroom bulletin board to help students keep track of homework/classwork, graded material, missed work while absent, etc, but, for the life of me, I can not find that post again.

Does anyone use their bulletin board in this manner? If so, can you give me a run down of the set up and how you handle it? Thanks!

3. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 28, 2010

I have been in teacher's classrooms where they had a wipe on-wipe off calendar on a bulletin board where they wrote assignments and reminders. When someone was absent it was there responsibility to go to the board and copy the assignments.

4. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Jun 28, 2010

I did the wipe off calendar last year...it's crucial to get a 6 week calendar so you can have the entire grading period up without having to erase anything.

5. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jun 28, 2010

Sounds like a great idea, where do you get the calendar?

6. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

Jun 29, 2010

Well I work with 1st graders, so there is a file folder with a grapes on it, the folder says we missed you a whole "bunch" and that's where I place the missing assignments, homework/homework sheet etc.

7. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jun 29, 2010

I have done something similar when I taught MS where I used the calendar set that I had and instead of using the numbers I used post it notes. I had a student with neat writing write down the assignment and activities for the class and stick it on the calendar. They also wrote the date in the top corner. I moved the notes as the month went on. If the note was no longer posted you couldn't make it up unless you have a really good excuse. Next to my calendar I attached folders for each class period. If there was a handout or something that was needed to make up an assignment I wrote the students name, the date they missed it on the paper and put it in their class period's folder. Students were expected to find the information for themselves and make it up. I saved the post its by sticking them on papers and putting them in a file in my cabinet to refer back to if needed. I had a lot of kids try to take other kids papers out of there for themselves and then I would have to make even more copies of something I had already copied twice.

Here is a pic of what it looked like before I changed the day folders to class period folders.

[​IMG]

8. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Jun 29, 2010

I like the bulletin board idea! I used a 3-ring binder this past year, but kids would forget to look in it...and honestly, I would sometimes forget to put their missed work in it. I wonder if I would have better luck with the BB.

9. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2010

I use [​IMG] and place their work in their assigned box. On the day a student is absent I put a "while you were out" folder into their box. As we pass out new assignments I have a student pass one out to the absent student's box. At the end of the day i put all the papers into the folder and it's good to go.

10. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 29, 2010

I think one thing you need to think about is the number of students and preps you will be dealing with. I have used the binder system with great sucess over the past 15 years. My binder system is a word document table with the date, what we did in class, assignments and due date that I print out, 3 whole punch and place in the binder. At the beginning of each grading period, I print out nine pages, date them and place them in the binder.

In the front pocket, I put any handouts, assignments, and worksheets we did that day with the date at the top. All these papers are stamped with a red stamp that says "absent." My absent students know right away to check the binder for their assignments. It takes me about 5 minutes during my prep to enter the days assignments in each binder.

I have two binders for my US History and World History classes and the binders are clearly labeled and different colors. This is the easiest way I have found from students to be responsible for keeping track of their work when absent.

11. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Jun 29, 2010

Julie -

What a FANTASTIC idea!!! I have been trying and trying to figure out a way to organize assignments and missing work. I will definitely be trying this out in my class this year!

Thanks for the great idea, and the pic!! :D

12. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Jun 29, 2010

I got mine at Mardel. It was supposed to be write on/wipe off anyway, but I went ahead and laminated it to keep it nice looking. I've found that some things that are SUPPOSED to be wipe off are really just "smear around." I wrote on it with overhead markers and cleaned it with water.

Julie, that is sort of a hybrid of two things I did last year. The folders were for me, so I'd know when I had graded work to pass out, but I love the idea of having a folder for the kids to check.

Absent work was the bane of my existence last year. My schedule was so stupid, it made absent work a pain for teachers and students to keep straight.

13. Southern JC

Southern JC Companion

Jun 30, 2010

I have two long white boards. I use the end of one board for the homework board. I use a border to separate this section from the rest of the board and across the top it reads "HOMEWORK". Every Monday morning, before school starts, I write the homework assignments for the week. After bellwork, I discuss the specifics of the homework assignments. The board will read something like this:

Mon. Complete pages 16 & 17. Study for test on Friday.
    Tues. Finish in-class assignment. Study.
    Thurs. Study for test.

At the beginning of the year, I tell the students about the board and its purpose. Even when students are absent, they'll come in later that day and ask if they can copy their homework assignments. Also, it saves paper and printer ink. This allows the students to work ahead if they choose. I use the rest of that board for bellwork and reminders.

As far as make-up assignments, at the beginning of the year I make a schedule and post it on the wall. Every week a student from each class will be assigned the role of the designated assistant or D.A. The D.A. is responsible for recording the assingments we do in class (which book was used, page number, what needs to be turned in, did we take notes, etc.). This is done on a very simple word document and does not require the student to write much at all. Since the homework is left on the board all week, the D.A. does not have to record that information. The D.A. also helps pass out/take up papers (any little help that I may need). Each class has a separte box that this information is kept. It is the student's responsiblity to get the work they missed. This is really helpful to me because sometimes I forget to put missed assignments in the box. Also, it makes the student feel important and useful. If the D.A. is not at school that day, a previously chosen alternate (also listed on the posted schedule) assumes the responsibilites and this will serve as one of their days when they are chose to be the assistant (the person they helped will make-up the day they missed during this time also).

Also, The D.A. has a special seat. Since most high school students hate sitting in desk, I have a bigger desk with an office chair in the corner of the room that only this student can use. It's a big deal to them because they have more room and they spend the whole week there. When I first got the desk, it looked worn and ugly. I painted it a bright yellow and now it really stands out. They love it.:wub: Also, to show my appreciation for the help over the week, on Friday, they recieve a little happy (however, only if they followed directions and did they job assigned). I have a box with homework passes, candy, special pencils and pens, small notebooks (even big kids like little happies :) ). I even have freebies that have been donated by local merchants. After watching the first couple of students take on this job, the others are excitedly waiting their turn to be D.A. for the week.:wub: