Bulletin Board help needed..

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teach24iam, Mar 22, 2010.

1. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Mar 22, 2010

Our school does a monthly character education theme to teach the kids about concepts such as: respect, generosity, tolerance, etc... April is Appreciation. Any suggestions on a bulletin board I can make would be greatly appreciated. Apparently most classes (including mine :( Have not been keeping these up to date and they will be checking come the beginning of April...I'm just stuck for an idea...

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2010

Appreciation is a really hard concept for little kids to "get." I just did a really cute b.b. where the kids used liquid watercolors and food coloring (I ran out of some colors of liquid watercolor) to color coffee filters. When they dried we formed them into a rainbow by glueing them on b.b. paper. You could put "Our class appreciates - beauty, nature, ?, rainbows " I know they want you to think of something deeper but they are too young.

4. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Mar 22, 2010

Maybe trace their hands and have them cut them out. They could draw a picture of someone/something they appreciate.

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 22, 2010

How about big letters that simply say:

"Our class appreciates not having to do a monthly character education bulletin board"

Ok, so I wouldn't really do that, though I do dislike the idea of having to make my bulletin board relate to a specific theme... I'd much rather have it feature student's work.

6. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Mar 22, 2010

LOL....I would SOOOO LOVE to do that!!
    I just find it something that is hard to teach to such a young group. In November and December we had compassion and generosity, so we did a toy drive for charity, which was easier to teach.. this one is tough, and usually when I ask them things like this or what they are thankful for I get "my toys.."... lol, which is an appropriate response at this age...how about a giant flower where each child writes something they appreciate about a fellow classmate and title it... Appreciation is blooming in......class...

7. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Mar 22, 2010

You could do a bulletin board with buckets that have the children's names on them - "We are filling our buckets with appreciation". Inside each bucket could be words of appreciation: Thank you for being kind, etc.

This goes along with the bucket filling program that you may have heard about. https://www.bucketfillers101.com/home.html

8. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Mar 22, 2010

all good ideas...keep them coming..thanks!! :)

9. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 22, 2010

A good activity might be a joy jar/appreciation bag/whatever you want to call it. I have one for my students and we put notes to each other about things that we like. It can be anonymous or not. They say "John Doe is my joy for sharing his cookies at lunch.-Jane" Maybe you can collect a bunch and hang them up? Don't ask me for a title though cause I'm not that great at being cute.

10. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Mar 22, 2010

How about something like "2-4-6-8, Who do we appreciate?" and have them write (or dictate to you) names of people. I agree it's a difficult concept, but at least you can get something up there. Good luck.

11. looneyteachr

looneyteachr Companion

Mar 27, 2010

How bout put that cheer in the middle? 2 -4-6-8 who do we appreciate? put pom poms all around the outside! then cut out little sports jerseys with students' names on the back - write one thing you appreciate about each student - they love it! then to take the concept further - bring in large foam coffee cups - give each kid one to decorate - line up somewhere in classroom - make popsicle sticks available - kids can write what they appreciate about classmates on stick and put in kids' cups - i did this - kids love it - and you can write some too if you notice kids don't have anything in the cup - do it anonymously