Bulletin Board for Math Facts

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by fogs, Jul 13, 2008.

1. fogs

fogs New Member

Jul 13, 2008

Does anyone have any ideas for a BB to monitor students knowledge of their math facts? Thanks

3. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 13, 2008

Do you mean to post that Johnny passed +1 facts, Krissy passed +1 and +2...? If so, I don't do anything like that because I don't want kids to be embarrassed, it is inevitable that you will have a kid or two that just don't do well and they will feel badly about themselves, thus do worse or shut down. Plus, at my school, that gives our gossiping parents fuel. :(

4. fogs

fogs New Member

Jul 13, 2008

Dear Beth, As an experienced and compassionate teacher I would not use the BB as a means to embarrass a student but rather I was thinking of an alternate way to encourage knowledge of the math facts. Thank you.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 13, 2008

Is that what you mean, fogs? If so, then, no, we don't do that either. We can't even have a behavior chart of any kind that everyone can see.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 13, 2008

Okay, now I understand. So, you mean an aid for them to use when they are unsure of facts? I haven't taught second grade, but when I first started teaching multiplication to 3rd grade, I posted a magnetic multiplication table that they could use to check their work. Once they became more proficient, it came down.

7. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Jul 13, 2008

8. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 13, 2008

Fogs,
    In no way did I think that you would intentionally embarass students, nor did I assume you were not compassionate or inexperienced, but I know there are teachers who do put that kind of info up to motivate, when in fact it can do the opposite. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I wasn't clear on what you were looking for.

9. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2008

Maybe fill in some sort of chart or puzzle as the class learns them. As it's completed, the class earns together. Some may have colored only one piece while others five. This may still result in a competition yet maybe more successful for everyone?

10. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Jul 21, 2008

We use gumballs. We make small "gumball" machine and post on a board. As the kids pass their tests we place a small round sticker with the fact (+1, etc.)- these are just pricing stickers. The kids earn a real gumball to take home. They have multiple chances to earn each one. Our 3rd grade teachers do the same thing with ice cream scoops. Each fact is another scoop. The kids who earn all of their scoops get an ice cream party at the end of the year. The ones who do not earn it are the ones who refuse to keep trying when they miss it the first time. (Never more than 2 out of 56 kids) When I taught 3rd every kid made it.

11. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Jul 27, 2008

In addition to number lines and the hundred chart, I also post the =10 facts and the doubles facts, and then teach students strategies to use these facts to remember other facts (doubles plus one, doubles minus one, +9, etc.)

12. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jul 28, 2008

fogs,
    I saw a really good idea that I may implement this year with math facts. It was a lily pad for each fact 1's, 2's, etc. As students pass each one, they put their frog on it. It's kind of like AR where kids are competing against themselves and not anyone else. I'm very careful about hanging up anything that may make someone feel bad. I taught inclusion last year and a large group of my students wouldn't have done well, but with AR, everyone was able to reach their point goal because it's their ZPD (in their range). Some who could just didn't care. After the first marking period of not reading enough and taking quizzes, those who were lazy stepped it up and made it the next time. Also, I don't allow my students to show others their grades.

13. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

We are required to have students set classroom and personal goals. I have a giant laminated graph with lists of sight words. This is posted on the wall beside my desk. I do not write the students names but assign them a fake number. This does not correspond to their class number. I read on another post that a teacher uses "rainbow" words for sight words. When they pass the red cards they add their name in red to the ray. Then they move on to orange cards and when they pass they add their name card to the orange ray and so on. I thought that this was a very cute idea.

I use math peer tutoring with flashcards. My flashcards are color coded. My students are very motivated to move on to the next color of cards. They have to pass the cards with me before they can actually move on. I am adding a tiny almost game board looking paper inside the peer tutoring folders so that they can mark off when they pass a set of cards. When they get to the end they can get some sort of prize. This is very motivating and the students have the same partner almost the entire year.