Bulletin board fabric

Discussion in 'General Education' started by PinkLily, Jun 28, 2010.

1. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Jun 28, 2010

In an attempt to be more eco-friendly, I have decided to put fabric on my bulletin boards next year, instead of paper. I'm just wondering what kind of fabric works the best, lasts the longest and doesn't fade. Please share your experiences.

3. mrsc_teaches

mrsc_teaches Companion

Jun 28, 2010

I use mostly cotton, but anything will work.
    Silky fabrics are going to be more tough to work with and get straight, they may also get pulls and runs more easily

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 28, 2010

I bought cotton flat sheets at Walmart for $1.99 each on sale. They do not fade, and don't ravel at the edges because they are sewn.

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 28, 2010

I love to use felt! The colors are consistent, they don't ravel, you can staple through them many, many times, they never fade, and they look great! Last year, I used black felt with tiger print border (our mascot) for all of my boards. The felt made all of the papers and colors pop like crazy, and everyone loved our boards!

6. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

Jun 28, 2010

I've always used cotton- it's lightweight and holds up well.

I use quilters fabrics- I'll go to the store with a color in mind and get something with a little "texture" for depth.

Try to stay away from fabrics that are too busy (they look cluttered as soon as you put anything up). :)

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2010

I use solid colored fabrics. I staple a few inches at the top middle then pull the fabric so it is very smooth and staple a few inches of the bottom middle. I then do the same for the sides, again making sure it is taut, and then work my away around to finish. I add a border to conceal the edges. I just stripped my bulletin board today...the fabric has been up there two years without a problem and could have remained. I'll use the fabric elsewhere.

I've used shiny, glitter-like fabric before, but it's very "stringy" and doesn't take well to be pulled, so you have to use that carefully.

8. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jun 28, 2010

I use cotton as well, but I like using fun, bright patterns. My kids always commented that my room was bright and colorful. I kept them up all year and they looked great (no fading or falling down). I might change up the colors next year, but I'm not sure.

[​IMG]

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2010

On the advice of people here, I tried a cheapo Walmart sheet this year. It was bright red.

It was wonderful! It went up in a snap, and stayed bright and cheery all year.

(Though I'm pretty sure the Walmart associate thought about calling CPS when she saw me ask my 11 year old son whether I should buy the red or green $5 sheet.)

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 29, 2010

I use cotton, also.

On one large board I used a not too busy batik in blue and it was gorgeous.

Mine have been up several years; I do take them down to wash out the dust every summer.

11. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Jun 29, 2010

I love my fabric bbs. I saw some Eric Carle quilting fabric that I am considering for next year.

12. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

Jun 29, 2010

I love these ideas, think I'm going to use them when I get a classroom again.

13. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Jun 29, 2010

I measured my bb and always go through the remnant bins at Walmart and craft stores. I have fabrics for most holidays, seasons, and a tiger striped fabric that I keep up all year (we are the tigers). I trimmed them to size and have been using them for several years now and they are holding up well. Most are cotton prints.

14. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Jun 29, 2010

I don't have bulletin boards in my room, but I have HUGE chalkboards that line 2 walls. I don't use them because I also have a white board and a Promethean Board, so I covered them with fabric and border and made myself some bulletin boards! I had to use hot glue to get everything to stay up, but they looked so good! I used cotton-y material that I found at a craft store, but I really like the sheet idea, too. If I decide to change it up for next year, I may look into that.

15. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2010

Most of my bulletin boards are old chalkboards. My staple gun will staple into it (it doesn't like it though. My "best" board has a layer of plywood that has been liquid nailed onto it.

16. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2010

I always go with the twin flat sheets. you can usually get fun, sassy ones when the college supplies come out.

17. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2010

I have never thought about suing sheets. I use cotton, felt and burlap. I like the felt and the burlap the best for my boards that I will use lots of pins or staples on.

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 29, 2010

I use regular cotton fabric. I have one bright yellow board, one bright blue board, and one "teacher" patterned one in primary colors.

I put this fabric up in June of 1998. It hasn't faded at all. I expected it to last longer than the paper, but I had no idea I'd get 12 years out of it.

Except for a few thinning spots on the multi-colored fabric from constant stapling, it looks good as new. I've been impressed.

19. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 29, 2010

I bought some cheap, solid-color cotton fabric last year, and it still looks great! It's really thin, but you can't tell when it's up. I just bought it at a fabric store.

20. gizmo2010

gizmo2010 Rookie

Jun 29, 2010

I use fabric cotton too. The best though is burlap. It never fades or shows staple holes.

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 29, 2010

I liked to use stretch cotton knit. Even when I cut it wrong, I could still stretch it out and make it work.

22. Eneli

Eneli Rookie

Jun 29, 2010

I use a black cotton fabric on all my bulletin boards and then I use bright colorful trimmers, letters, banners, posters, cut outs to make them stand out. I don't fade and hold up very well. This year I took the fabric down to wash it and it will be back up in the fall. The best part is that it matched with any theme or subject I put on it.

23. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Jun 29, 2010

My favorite is a soft gray cotton fabric. Preschool art is usually bright and colorful and look beautiful against the gray. I use wide ribbon for my borders.

24. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

Jun 29, 2010

Great idea....did the hot glue hold all year?

I *may* get a SMART Board this year, so I'll be looking for a place to put my Every Day Counts. I have an extra whiteboard that would be great...the fabric would make it pop. :)

25. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 29, 2010

I have used 100% cotton broadcloth for years b/c it holds up wonderfully and is fairly cheap. I love the sheet idea, though!!!!!!!!!!

26. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jun 29, 2010

Wondering if using glue dots or velcro instead of hot glue gun might work, fewer burns w/ hot glue on fingers :lol:, less mess, easier to put up/take down, etc.....

I love using fabric on BB! All black sounds awesome! I had black paper on one smaller BB last year, hmmm love these ideas!

27. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2010

thats what I do :) I had t buys a few sheets as window treatments until my blinds were ready so I am planning on useing them for my BB next year.

28. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Jun 29, 2010

my walmart had there twin sheets on for $3 today, i bought orange, teal, black, and lime green :D

29. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 1, 2010

I've always purchased the cheep Walmart fabric and it's awesome! Caution to all:
    ~If you have a patterned fabric, put a solid border up. Never put up a patterned border on top of a heavily patterned fabric.
    ~If you have a solid fabric, you can put up patterned or solid borders.

I have solid colored fabric of different colors on each board. I have different borders for each board as well. I have contemplated changing all of my boards so that they are identical-- but have not done so as of yet.