Bulletin Board Advice

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2019

My new classroom has 5 bulletin boards AND no whiteboard. We just have these magnetic boards that you can write on with whiteboard marker. I’m not sure how to fill up 5 bulletin boards.

I was thinking of covering one bulletin board with whiteboard contact paper so I could write the objective, agenda, etc. I was thinking of having the other one be for things we are learning and anchor charts. I still have 3 more in the back, so I wonder if I could save all of them for student work?

In addition, does anyone have ideas for colors? I generally like to do them all the same color and border but it is so many.

I was thinking of doing black with a colorful border but I am not sure if that will be too much black! I was also thinking of doing white with a colorful border to make the room seem more airy but I’m not sure if that would get destroyed quickly. Thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 19, 2019

I like the idea of a black background with a color border to make it pop, but it's hard to say without seeing the room. Do you happen to have any photos of the room? I'm also curious to know what a magnetic board that can be written on with a whiteboard marker is if it's not a magnetic whiteboard...

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2019

I didn't take pictures unfortunately! I used black with a color border last year and I liked it but I only had two bulletin boards. One of them was for anchor charts and the other one was for student work. This year, I am going to spend a little bit more on nice border, etc. because I am hoping that I can do a really good job this year and be done. I might even spend to laminate the border I buy and hope that it will last a long time. (I used the school's border last year but my kids ripped it a lot.) I will probably just put up student work (mainly) and my own anchor charts.

It is like a grey magnetic whiteboard. There is a huge one in the back and small panels in the front. You can write on it but it feels like a chalkboard. We also have a SmartBoard. I think I am going to try and see if I can laminate some chart paper for a cheaper "whiteboard" to write my objectives, hw

The previous teacher went to Home Depot and got a huge chunk of whiteboard that he propped up but it seems really unsafe to me.

5. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2019

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 19, 2019

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  7. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2019

My room also has a long and narrow bulletin board on the top of the SmartBoard. I think elementary teachers use this for the alphabet?

I ideally want to put my number line there. But I have no idea how to cover the background since it is long and thin. I might end up not covering it. My number line isn't as thick as the bulletin board. I could also just attach black or white cardstock to the back of my number line and put it up?

8. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 19, 2019

When I had one of those, I cut butcher paper to fit and used bulletin board borders to cover the jagged edges. I used it for the alphabet chart and and a word wall (split into two separate sections with bulletin board border) one year and for student work displays the following year. Aside from my first two years teaching, I’ve never had one of those types of bulletin boards again. My number line never would have fit on it, as it always wrapped around the room. Will yours fit?

9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2019

Yeah my number line will fit because it’s just -20 to about 100 but I’ll go from -20 until wherever I can make it! If I can only fit -20 to 20 that’s fine for 6th grade.

Thank you! I’ll see if my school has butcher paper I can use.

bella84 likes this.
  10. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2019

I actually did take one picture that I forgot about! This is what I meant by the bulletin board on top. The previous teacher didn't cover it. I've never seen anything like it before. These are the front two bulletin boards and theres a big one in the back and one tiny one to the side.

11. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 20, 2019

That's helpful to see. Your floor really stands out! It's so bold that I think I would try to choose colors/patterns that complement it as opposed to choosing something that you like on its own. I thought that the black/mint combo sounded nice, but I'm not sure that the mint really goes so well with that floor. You might want to choose something more neutral or rustic (patterns or colors like this: https://pacon.com/fadeless-paper/fadeless-paper-rustic-assortment.html, for example). I think I would probably do the two front bulletin boards exactly the same as one another. The back and side bulletin boards could be the same as the front boards, or they could be different... but I would definitely make them complement the front boards and the floor. I'm not sure that you need to cover the narrow board at the top, but, if you do, you might have it be the same as the back or side bulletin boards (assuming you decorate those differently than the two larger front boards). Then everything would tie together nicely. I don't think that I would mess with adding a makeshift whiteboard anywhere. It sounds like a hassle and/or expensive, doesn't seem like it would last or work really well, and it just doesn't seem necessary.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  12. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2019

I decided that I’m going to be using plastic tablecloths instead of paper to cover them since it’s cheaper and I hope it lasts a long time! The rolls of paper are so expensive and I think the kids might rip it. I bought the black ones and I got 6 for 6 dollars. Any ideas for a border that might match or other tablecloth colors I could get?

I also realized that my number line won’t fit on top of the SmartBoard because the projector would be right in the middle of it! I think it’s impotent to have one though.

Do you think it’s ok not to cover the top bulletin board strip?

13. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 20, 2019

I've done black bulletin boards with bright borders before. They looked great and I had about as many as you say you'll have. Remember you are putting papers up on them so they will not be as dark as they seem at first.

Plastic tablecloths work well until students get their hands on them, so consider placement. The minute anyone starts to pick at them they'll get holes. Not saying don't use them, just FYI and try to keep them out of student reach. Fabric is the best option. If you have a Joann's you could probably get some solid, non print fabric for around $2-$3 a yard.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  14. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2019

I agree that the mint green wouldn’t have looked good. Thanks! I decided to get a border with blue waves. It looks more natural (not too bright) and I think it’ll look good with the rest of the stuff in my room and the red floor. I was going to do white letters but what do you think of burlap letters?

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 20, 2019

I think maroon or charcoal gray would look nice. They would coordinate with the floor and the board, too. I put fabric on my boards. It lasts forever. In my old classroom, I put up blue and yellow fabric, and it was still in great shape when I moved from that room 17 years later. I changed out the border and board contents, but the background was the same.

Now I do black because I have so many other bright colors.

16. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jul 20, 2019

Consider having students make your b-boards. Each board could have a math “theme” which students add algorithms, references, review, math rules etc. These could be bell work, group work, homework and/or free time sponge projects. In this way students learn by “doing” not to mention freeing you to do more important tasks. Some teachers use “Steps for Long Division” - “Finding LCM” - “Word Problem Process” etc. as themes. Students design the board - background, color, title, lettering with an example of the rule or skill as homework, bell work or group work. During free time students add to boards or create new ones depending on curriculum at the time. After my fourth year teaching I never made another b-board. Students did them all. Of course, one needs to teach a lesson with a model board about b-board design. I copied model on homework for student reference.

Alternatives: (1) Create your own 3-4 boards but leave one blank for students. (2) Create your own boards then assign “example” for students to do for each board. Choose several to post on each board. (3) Make board(s) “extra credit”. In any event, this process, b-boards, follows idea, “Never do anything for students they are perfectly capable of doing themselves”.

17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 20, 2019

I’d put up fabric since the plastic tablecloths tend to look messy and the fabric looks good for multiple years.

18. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2019

I like the idea but personally I would not spend class time having kids design a bulletin board, because I don't see how students benefit academically in the subject I teach. I can see this kind of thing taking at least a week and it is hard enough to teach all of the standards. I don’t know my admin well yet I don't think my admin would be happy to see kids cutting out letters, etc. instead of doing math. The way that I structure my class, warm ups take 3-4 minutes so kids who finish early just wait & there really isn't any other free time for the kids.

I do have the kids do "open response posters" where they answer an open response question on chart paper as a group. I will be putting these up on the bulletin boards along with other student work.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  19. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2019

20. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 20, 2019

21. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2019

I think I’ll see how one of the tablecloths look and keep it if it looks fine!! I don’t want to spend too much on them :)

22. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 20, 2019

You could put growth mindset quotations on one board. Also, math vocabulary is helpful.

23. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 20, 2019

I like this idea in theory and I've tried having students create materials (such as reference charts) that can be posted but 90% of the time the results are not of the quality that they need to be to be regularly referenced materials on the wall. Students will put their hearts into it but often the words are hard to read due to messy handwriting, color choices, or print that is too small or not bold enough to be read from far away. Then there's the issue of making sure the information is correct. That sounds negative, but in my experience it takes much more effort and time to have students create those things than to do it myself. I get it gives them ownership and gives them a meaningful connection to the content, but it's never really worked well for me. That said, if you have any tips for how this has worked for you, please share!

I do always, always have multiple outstanding examples of work up on the wall. Students love seeing their work posted and recognized.

24. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2019

I do subject-specific word walls. I find that the students are better about using the correct terms when they always have it in front of them.

25. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2019

I followed your advice about the neutral background paper and I think it looks really nice! I'm so glad you suggested it! The red floors are a lot and I really don't like them. The side cabinets are not pictured but they are like purple and green and red...so the whole room already has a lot of color. I actually really miss my classroom from last year because the room colors were more calm but the shiplap paper makes this room look pretty nice. :) I am going to add some titles to the boards next week maybe or the week after if I don't have time. I think I'll have the front left board say "What are we learning?" and be for anchor charts and title the front right board "Math Practice Standards" or something. I might have the back board say student work and I think I'll leave the side back board blank for now.

I am a little bit nervous about not having a whiteboard but I think it'll be fine since I'll really just have to write the objectives every day and I'll use the SmartBoard for lessons. All the teachers told me that they got used to writing on the grey board with an expo marker and that it erases fine.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    bella84 likes this.
  26. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 22, 2019

Looks great! :)