Bullet Style Lesson Planning

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Furrymom, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Furrymom

Furrymom Rookie

Nov 4, 2018

Has anyone ever tried this before? If so, how has it worked for you?

It is very similar to the popular bullet journaling that is all over pinterest.
    I am wanting to use it because I am seriously getting burned out from having to spend over an hour on each lesson plan to create a scripted lesson that I never refer to while I am teaching. It takes me about 9 hours on the weekend to plan for the upcoming week and that is not even making charts, printing materials, grading papers, or planning small group lessons!
    I would include all the parts of a lesson plan (focus, vocab, materials, standards, do now, teach, making meaning, transfer, differentiation, assessment) but cut out the "word for word" information that made my plans multiple pages long.
    Each point would be a quick and simple note to myself about the next step in the lesson.
    I just need to reclaim my life (as I currently don't have one).

Let me know if you do this and what response have you gotten from your administration about it.

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Nov 4, 2018

My plans are a mixture.

When it comes to things like vocabulary, a lot of times I'll just write "vocab routine from textbook" or something like that. No list of words, no exact lesson description - I know what that means and to me it makes sense.

For other things I'll write out a more detailed description.

At the start of the year and when I'm getting observed, I'll often have my plans out to look at. For the most part, I check when needed if I forget what I'm doing for a day, but we're in so much of a routine I don't reference my plans very often.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 4, 2018

I've done this my entire teaching career. We're required to post a learning target and success criteria for each lesson. I write those first and then just a bulleted list of activities I want to do for that lesson. If it's something where a word list is involved (I do a lot of phonics work), I write out the list of words as well. I also tend to use a lot of abbreviations and my plans probably wouldn't make sense to anyone but me.

I've been fortunate to have never worked anywhere where I had to turn in lesson plans. Unfortunately, I think that might change soon. The entire rest of the district is turning them in except for my school and I don't think P will be able to hold out much longer. For me, the actual planning part is very quick. The gathering/prepping/making/copying materials takes much longer than actually writing out the plans.

5. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Nov 4, 2018

I have to turn in lesson plans but it takes me 10 mins a week. We just have to turn in the standard and the objective. For myself, I write down the objective and a list of activities but I do not do formal lesson plans.

6. rpan

rpan Cohort

Nov 5, 2018

We have to have units of work for the year but not lesson plans. Takes me a few minutes to figure out what to do each lesson because the units of work contain what needs to be taught and the resources required to teach the lesson.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2018

My school has requirements for the teachers with gen ed classes that are pretty substantial. It takes them pages and pages to write their plans. The P is more relaxed with the ESE teachers because we teach multiple grades. If we were to follow the same requirements, my lesson plans for the week would top 45 pages. As it is , my plans are 15 pages.

8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Nov 5, 2018

That makes more sense to me. I wish teachers at my school could do that.

Furrymom likes this.
  9. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Nov 12, 2018

Mine are on a Google slide. It doesn't take me long nowadays. My school doesn't require a certain format or anything. I often project the slide for kids to see directions also.