Bulimic

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by New3rdTeacher, Sep 7, 2008.

1. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Sep 7, 2008

I want to ask advice about something.
    My friend has been throwing up a lot, especially after meals. She says that it's just a stomach problem but it's just seems weird that it only happens after meal. Directly after meals.
    If she is I want to tell her that it's dangerous. Please help me. I want to know what to tell her and what to do.

Thanks a lot

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 7, 2008

You are right to be concerned; however, don't discount that it COULD be a stomach problem.

Shortly after my last child was born I threw up imediately after every meal. It was horrible. At first I attributed it to stress (my husband had abandoned me, the baby was born premature and extremely critically ill, the doctors were encouraging me to make funeral plans and he didn't come home till he was 6mo, all the while my ex was completely unconcerned), but it kept going on. I finally got my butt to the doctor and it turned out that the flap between my stomach and my esophogus had completely ulcerated away. I underwent reconstructive surgery to fix it.

All that to say there are medical reasons for something like that to happen. I would take the concerned friend approach. Ask her if she's seen her doctor and what he's doing to help her solve the problem. If she can't come up with reasonable answers, or her answers are inconsistent, then I would look into the problem being bulimia and confront her about it.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 7, 2008

I threw up after meals due to a gall bladder issue, and then after my gall bladder was removed it got worse. A complication from the surgery damaged the flap that closes my stomach from my esophagus, and the throwing up got even worse. I would sometimes even have to get up during a meal and throw up.

So, it could be a stomach problem.

You should tell her that you're concerned and suggest she see a doctor.

5. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

Thank you! I appreciate that. I just know she has been trying to diet for her wedding and all of the sudden it seems to be not an issue. I don't know. It could be a stomach thing but I am just scared for her

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 8, 2008

She could also be suffering from extreme stress with an upcoming wedding.

You are right to be worried, but don't jump to the worst conclusion (at least not right away). If there is a real medical issue going on (not that an eating disorder isn't a real medical issue, but you know what I mean), then she needs to see her doctor. She may already have been to see her doctor, but you won't know unless you ask.

Like I said before, ask what her doctor has to say about the stomach problem. You will either be reassured that she's telling the truth, or your suspicions will be confirmed.

7. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Sep 8, 2008

I agree with the other posters. There may be a physical reason it's happening, but I would pay close attention for a while. My best friend suffered from bulimia when we were in college, and she was (like most bulimics) EXTREMELY secretive. We lived together, ate most every meal together, and yet none of us figured out what was going on until she had lost a significant amount of weight. When we caught on we followed her to the bathroom and caught her. Since we were only 18, we called her mom who put her in therapy which helped dramatically. If your friend does indeed have a problem, she's going to need a lot of emotional support and therapy. The fact that she's willing to tell you she's throwing up says it's probably a physical medical issue, but definitely keep an eye on her just in case.

8. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Sep 8, 2008

My mom had the gul-bladder prob too. Also, My sisters ex boyfriend has acid reflex and eating certain things can make him throw up too. I would just as a good friend suggest she go to the doctor and you go with her. See if it is truely a medical reason before YOU worry. Altough, if are you are a true friend(and you sound like you are) you will worry about her daily anyway.

9. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Sep 8, 2008

Give her the benefit of the doubt. My own sister is bulimic. She is very secretive about her eating habits and about her restroom habits.
    If your friend does have bulimia, she has to be ready to face it. It is just like alchoholism, the person involved has to admit the problem before they can overcome it. Let her know that you are worried about her, but don't push too hard. If it is bulimia, she may withdraw into it.

Good luck, hopefully it is just pre-wedding nerves.

10. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008

One clue to bulemia is the quantity your friend eats. They tend to binge on larger than normal quantities ... then disappear into the bathroom immediately afterward. Many bulemics also constantly chew on things like ice and gum and are overly preoccupied with food and their weight.

Is she losing weight, yet eating quantities that defy the weight loss?

Someone with a stomach issue would probably eat normal to small quantities of food with the intent not to throw up.

11. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 8, 2008

I found out a roommate in college was bulimic. To add to SpecialT's comments ... she was always talking about food (calories, fat, etc).

12. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 8, 2008

I think it might be stress related or a stomach issue but not Bulimic. I would keep any eye on her if it presists I would talk to her about it and get her some help.

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 8, 2008

My former boss, who was a former bulimic, said you can tell by someone's upper arms. If they have lost a lot of muscle definition, they are starving their body. If it's a medical issue, I'm not sure she would loose muscle mass, because hopefully she's getting SOME vitamins.

People who posted about medical problems-did you loose a ton of weight? Although I've also heard that bulimics binge and purge, so they don't really loose that much weight, because some of the calories are retained.

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 9, 2008

My weight went up and down...actually by HUGE amounts. Before I started having the problems, I was eating my way through the stress, and not only didn't loose the baby wieght, but gained more. I was up to 280 before the vomiting started. I wound up down to 160, then back to 220, then down to 180, then 200, then settled at 180 for a while (until the most recent bout with major stress...I'm back up to 200...*sigh*).

15. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2008

It's true that the are not usually emaciated like anorexia. Often their muscles are weak even if they work out and their skin is very dry from lack of nutrients and water loss ... but these things would happen over an extended period of bulimia.