Built a Stage in My Classroom!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by hernandoreading, Aug 6, 2007.

1. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Aug 6, 2007

My principal let me build a stage in one end of my classroom. (I have a pretty big room.) DH helped me, & it took us a week to get it all done. I still have a few minor things to do, but it's student-ready. I can't wait to see the kids' faces!

If you want to see pics of the stage as we built it, I put them on my web page at
    http://www.schoolnotes.com/34609/hernandoreading.html

3. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 6, 2007

How cool is that!! What a great idea. Great help you have too!!:)

4. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 6, 2007

That's awesome! Man, your reader's theater is going to rock!! Enjoy it!

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 6, 2007

That is toooooooo cool!!! I love the idea!!! THUMBS UP!!

6. Eliza

Eliza Companion

Aug 6, 2007

That is great! Your kids are going to love it and your hubby scores major points for that one! :2up:

7. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 6, 2007

That is cool! I didn't realize that Florida had K-8 schools too. It was foreign to me when I moved to Chicago (I'm from Broward County, Fl) and I hate the PK-8 model. Those big 8th graders are a bad influcence on my babies.

8. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 6, 2007

WOW!

9. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 6, 2007

I love it! I can't believe how big your room must be. Do you have pictures of the rest of your room?

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 7, 2007

That's incredible! My students put on one production a year in fourth grade... last year, they came up with the "tribal song" that they performed with almost every instrument the music teacher possessed. Your stage will definitely come in handy. What are some ideas that have come to your mind so far for your stage?

I know this sounds slightly funny, but I think I've seen you before... at some teacher orientation or other event... :) We're in the same county.

11. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

I'm planning to do a lot of Reader's theater with my students this year. I've got about 8 books of scripts to choose from, so I can find something to go with a lot of our other readings. I also plan to have my kids put on a lot of performances for the younger students. It should be loads of fun. I also sponsor the drama club, so the stage will get lots of use!

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 7, 2007

That is so wonderful. We can't even get a stage built in our performing arts room. Is your hubby available???

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 7, 2007

Awesome. I didn't have to ask which school you were at because I saw CK8. :) What's neat is that the middle school students you have get to be role models. The K-8 concept works. :) My fourth graders have put on one or two short performances in the last two years for a kindergarten class.

One Reader's Theatre book I have for advanced reading is Scholastic's Fluency Practice Read-Aloud Plays (grades 5-6, considering the reading level of my reading class), and I heard that Weekly Reader just released one, too. I also write most of the ones my class performs to go over science and social studies concepts. One s.s. one last year was the American Revolution, and one science one was about the Grand Canyon.

Well, have fun! I'm sure the kids will really be into it. I have a large room, but not enough room for a stage (considering I've set up other things around the room). :)

14. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

Looks pretty shnazzy....BUT, I have a question.

The principal let you build it, but would it pass inspection with fire codes? What I mean is...some fire departments (at least once a year) go through a building to check it out for potential fire hazards and I was thinking you might run into an issue with a tripping hazard or blocking (or something to that effect) a exit.

Just bringing that up...not sure if that will be an issue or not.

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 9, 2007

Our fire marshal is pretty stern...

I do hope for you this gets past him and he accepts it.

16. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

I looked into that before we built it. It is the proper distance from the doors, the ceiling, etc. So, hopefully I've covered all my bases. We shall see.