Building Volcano

Discussion in 'General Education' started by luckyal29, Mar 22, 2011.

1. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

Mar 22, 2011

Class is planning to build a volcano to have on display for open house. I haven't ever made one of these before and I've been reading up on it. I'm hoping someone here has some experience with it although I don't see a lot of science teachers post.

1. I want something a substantial size to that means a 1 or 2 liter size bottle? I was thinking 2 liter but would that be some ridiciolous size that requires a lot of work to build the bast?

2. Paper mache or homemade clay? It seems the majority of build volcanoes use one these materials. Anybody have a preference? I haven't use paper mache for ages. Is that where I have to wait until it completely dries before I can add to the base of the volcano?

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 22, 2011

I've built them with students, but on a much smaller scale and with bathroom cups. I've never done the full moutain base, so can't help you there. Sorry!!

4. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Mar 22, 2011

We use a baby food jar for the baking soda and vinegar. First we model the base with aluminum foil, then cover the foil with newspaper dipped in a glue/water mixture. When dry, we paint the whole thing, and let 'er erupt! Oh, I forgot to say that we shape the base to model the Big Island of Hawaii, which is where our active volcanos are.

5. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Mar 24, 2011

my class used poster board and it actually went very well.