Building Sub???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by heatherleigh, Sep 10, 2007.

1. heatherleigh

heatherleigh Companion

Sep 10, 2007

hello all! i have an interview on wednesday for a "permanent building sub" position. after moving out of state to teach and then back to ohio for my fiance's job to no teaching job for myself this is going to be my first year without my own classroom and my first experience as a sub. i have heard many mixed views about whether or not subbing gets your foot in the door to a permanent position and was reading some of the responses to the "has anyone" thread about different opinions on the matter. has anyone ever worked as a 'building sub' or know any of the positives/negatives to being a building sub vs. a day to day sub???

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2007

I have not been a "building sub" per say, but I did sub in the same two buildings for almost a year. We moved before the next school year so I didn't even apply at that distict. The only con I would see to being a building sub would be that you would only be exposed to that one particular building and could not network w/ other principals/faculty members of other schools. However, if you prove yourself to be a great sub then that principal might hire you themselves of recommend you to another principal. Also, being a building sub your guaranteed work.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2007

This year I accepted a building sub position. In three days, I have been in all classrooms. I like this position, and am hoping it will be a foot in the door, although I have to say, the other sub that is working with me has been there for several years ands has not been hired. I have heard from several teachers that they don't hire their subs, but I am not going to let that stop me. They are not me. I am going to go that extra mile and be assertive.

There are no guarantees with anything in life, therefore go to work, be enthusiastic, and don't come empty handed. Always have something on you for the kids to work on. I see so many subs come in in the morning with nothing. Granted, the teachers do all leave plans, but it probably doesn't look good to the principal.

If another school in the district is short handed, they will call one of the building subs over before they look outside for another sub. I see alot of positives in being a perm. sub. It's all about what YOU put into it.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2007

That's so true, MissFrizzle. The day to day subs at our school who have gone on to be offered long-term and then permanent positions have been those who go the extra mile--who show up in the office on their planning period to ask to be assigned to a classroom, who offer to help in the office copying and distributing notes, who work with students at recess to help them master a concept, who never say, "that's not my responsibility" or "I'm just a sub", who never complain about their placement or about their yard duty. Our schools couldn't function without the exceptional, professional supply teachers we have in our building every day.

6. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 10, 2007

I'd have to agree with everyone's posts. The school I was at, although it was a charter, they had full-time "building subs" who were paid just as much as a teacher. And those were the pool of teachers the CEO chose from when someone left-short or long term. She would always tell us at the beginning of the year and throughout-being a sub is not bad and most people get their start there. And that most subs end up a teacher with their own classroom before the school year is over.

And that's the truth. Both subs (granted she only hired 2 building subs) both had their own classrooms at the end of the year and were contracted as teachers for the remainder of the year and into the new year.

So, it is what you make of it. Just go in with a positive attitude. And see how far it takes you. I wish you well. Oh and welcome to our club! Please, sit down relax and have a drink!!

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 10, 2007

I have a been a building sub! I loved it. I didn't have to worry about getting called at 5:30 in the morning. I just got up and went to work each day. I got to know the students better (always in the same building) and the staff was great. I didn't end up teaching there because it was in a high school not an elementary school. But I am teaching in the same district now that I was a building sub.

8. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Sep 10, 2007

In my school the last 2 building subs were hired for permanent positions...go for it!

9. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Sep 10, 2007

I would take a building sub position if I had a chance.

10. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Sep 10, 2007

I'm totally with you Teach123. I would rather be a building sub then a day-to-day one, but that's not an option around here. You know exactly what school you are going to each day and get to know the students, plus you get to know the staff better. The big plus is no 5:00am phone calls! Good luck with the interview!!

11. heatherleigh

heatherleigh Companion

Sep 11, 2007

thanks everyone for your advice and knowledge on being a building sub. hopefully the interview will go well tomorrow and i'll show them what an amazing teacher i would be if given the opportunity!!!

12. gillianvt

gillianvt Rookie

Sep 13, 2007

I am currently a building sub in a middle school even though I want to do elementary. I switched from a private preschool this year and couldn't get my own classroom as it is very competitive. I get paid almost nothing as a perm. sub but I agree it's nice having a regular job and not waiting each day to be called. The principal is great and I'm hoping that this leads to something better. I will however, spend the whole year keeping my eyes and ears open for a better position if one should become available. Anyways go for it. Permanent subs unite!!!

13. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Sep 13, 2007

How did the interview go?
    Being a building sub is great - most of the time it is full time, could be teacher salary and may even have benefits...
    Good luck