Building Sub

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Jadcock, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Jadcock

Jadcock New Member

Feb 3, 2021

I'm going in for training to be a building sub next week. As I understand it, I go in every day of school and either sub or go-fer. Anybody got any tips for a new (seems like a permanent) sub?

3. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Feb 3, 2021

Awesome! I'm glad to hear you landed something. Building sub is a great way to get experience and be known.
    Make sure you are taught the school's discipline policy and general operations (schedule, how morning/dismissal works, which side of the hall to use etc). Many teachers will just want you to note misbehavior and deal with it themselves, but there's bound to be something come up that shouldn't wait. One building I was in had "strikes" and just being able to threaten one was effective. Knowing rules regarding bathroom use, technology use, etc. will make it easier. Things will go much smoother for you if you can come in strong on that front.

Have back-up activities ready in your mind just in case the lesson doesn't fill the time or the kids get done early. Games like hangman or group riddles like "green glass door" work well because they don't require materials not already available.

Depending on school, having a couple of pencils/erasers on hand can save some trouble too. "I forgot my pencil in my locker. . .can I go get it?" "No, but you can use this one!"

Chocolaccino likes this.