building my web site

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cheer, Jul 23, 2008.

1. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jul 23, 2008

I have an interest in building a web site but I am afraid I may not have time to update it. How often do you update it? How much time do you spend on it and do parents really utilize it? I am thinking about using teacher web for my site. I noticed people were talking about codes. What does that mean and what are they for?? Any comments would be great!

3. EDUtechnologist

EDUtechnologist Rookie

Jul 23, 2008

I had a website for my classroom and spent the better part of the summer setting it up. I made sure that I had all the work done for the entire year prior to the start of the year so that I didn't have to do ANY updating.

I included my behavior policies, homework sheets, favorite links, a break down of all the topics that would be covered throughout the year and more....

I am happy to help you if you have specific questions. It can be a REALLY big task, I would check and see if your district has any tools in place to assist you in the process first.

4. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 23, 2008

I usually update my website weekly since I post homework on it. I have site counters on each of my pages to see just how often they're being accessed by students/parents. I know that some parents use it a lot and others act like they don't know my site exists, which they do since I go over at our Academic Night and again at parent/teacher conferences. My students access my site a lot because of the different projects we do in the classroom, so I figure it's worth my time to update it.

5. Danigirl

Danigirl Rookie

Jul 23, 2008

I just started a website this summer for next year's class. I want to use it as a tool to connect with my students and their parents. I used teacher web and it was pretty easy (I have absolutely no website making experience). They have a help section where you can type in your questions, and that came in pretty handy :) Feel free to check it out at http://teacherweb.com/OR/HorizonChristianSchool/MissDeHavensFifthGrade

Good Luck!

6. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 23, 2008

I have teacherweb as well, very easy. I usually update mine daily. I do it first thing in the morning. My students write down homework after they complete morning work.

7. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2008

Mine is through Online Solutions for Educators. I spend the summers updating but during the year, I hardly work on it. Once you have it established, you can put it to work for you and not worry about it.

8. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jul 23, 2008

thanks

WOW thanks for all the advice. I am just really nervous I wont be able to keep it up. I was thinking of working on it this summer. I belong to a small private school so no one has experience on this subject. Thanks:blush:

9. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2008

I'd start with the basics. Start with your home page- design, layout and what you want people to see when they come to your site. Will you have student, parent, teacher sections? Do a flow chart and see where it leads you. If you do a little at a time, you may have it up and running by the time you go back to school.

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 23, 2008

You should make your website work for you. I know some teachers that update theirs every 9 weeks, some that update once a month, and a few that update once a week. I do mine at least once a week, if not more. That's what works for me.

11. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jul 24, 2008

FLOW CHART?

Mable- what is a flow chart? :unsure:
    HOw do I use a different wallpaper for my home page?

12. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2008

Here's an example of a website flowchart: http://quarknet.fnal.gov/projects/templates/flowchart.shtml

As far as the wallpaper is concerned, it would depend on your host. You can save wallpapers you find and then if your site allows it, you can use them as wallpapers. Have you found a host yet? When I used FrontPage for my old site, I was able to write my own site (no html required) and set the backgrounds that way. Then I hosted it on Yahoo. My current site does not allow for me to have fun wallpapers because it's real basic. I go with their choices.

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 24, 2008

Def. think about how often you want to update it, and then set that expectation. I've seen a lot of teacher websites that say they will post homework every week, and then the last assignment was from 4 months ago. This looses parent trust in the site and they will not visit anymore. Parents want to know that they can go to your site and have the most up-to-date info possible. If you don't want to update it every week, don't even bother putting a homework page on it-just make it an informational page with pre-set uploads. Does that make sense?

14. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jul 24, 2008

wow

I was going to use teacher web as host. I am not sure if I can use my own stuff. Thanks for the flow chart its very impressive. That helps ALOT.

15. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jul 24, 2008

LINKS?

What is it called when you click on a graphic and you are taken to another page on web site? Is that a link? It says to do this I need a url address. I just want to click on a graphic of a frog and go to week one WWW's. How does this happen? I am using teacher web. Any help would be great!

16. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 24, 2008

I am using mine like a teacher/parent handbook. I don't plan on updating the content too much during the year. I have linked a blog, which I will update weekly with my newsletter.

I will update the pictures often, and the calendar.

17. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

BLOG?

How do you link a blog? Where did you create the blog? I would love to learn more on this. Thanks