Building administration responses to substitute teaching service.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by engineerkyle, Nov 10, 2015.

?

Call all SUBS and EX-SUBS... Please select from the following which you have found to be true.

Poll closed Nov 24, 2015.
  1. ASD Children in the general ed classes for most of the day?

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. ASD and Special Ed Kids with Parapro?

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  3. Full network access is allowed?

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Partial network access is allowed?

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. Lesson plans review and busy work?

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
  6. Lesson plans micro-managed, scripted and too long?

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  7. Pay less than $100 per day

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  8. Pay > $100

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  9. Compensation from outsourcing?

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  10. My work has led to full-time and a paycheck from the gov. school district?

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. engineerkyle

engineerkyle Companion

Nov 10, 2015

Building administration responses to substitute teaching service.
    STUDY PROGRESS

11/11/2015

Several questions were posed to three public elementary schools adminitrators and one teacher, so far.

One artifact - PASSWORD DENIAL.JPG note that key information was not offered. I felt contention.

ABC FORUM.COM Survey Started

Hi All,

Needing help with a Presentation. I'm trying to get feedback on substitute teacher shortages. My audience will be the OPPS session of the MIEM. (Michigan Educators)

The people trying to hire subs here go through a contract service. Responses have been really varied. I'd especially like to hear from subs. What will a building do for you that makes you want to return?

3. Bak2Math

Bak2Math Rookie

Nov 11, 2015

You could start with having HR do their job.

4. engineerkyle

engineerkyle Companion

Nov 12, 2015

What do you mean, Back to Math?

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2015

Many subs in my district have made the transition into full-time, regular teaching positions, as long as they have the requisite qualifications and license(s).

The pay in my district is not terrible for subs. It is at least $100 per day, and at-risk schools pay more. Long-term subs get paid more in both regular and at-risk settings.

The lesson plans left by teachers will probably run the full spectrum from complete, scripted plans to no plans at all and everything in between. I would caution any sub against judging plans too harshly, especially when it seems like "busy work", because sometimes what looks like busy work is actually meaningful practice or review.

Network access for subs is a school site decision. Some schools, like my current school, have generic sub logins for computer access. Subs wouldn't have access to a personal file on the network or anything like that, but they could certainly use all available computer applications and have (filtered) access to the internet. Other schools, like my previous school, rarely if ever gave subs access to login information.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2015

In my district, subbing is the only path to a permanent position. Day-to-day subbing leads to long-term assignments which lead to contracts.
    All of our subs must be fully qualified teachers and daily pay is generous--$225/day, I believe. Our subs are also members of a branch of our union and work under a negotiated collective agreement.
    Plans are varied as far as complexity goes; we try to keep things as close to typical as we can. Subs shouldn't feel put out, however, if review work is left; this has an important purpose as well.
    Our subs have their own computer logins, so are able to access the network. The only thing they don't have access to, technology-wise, is the Google Form that we use to sign out technology and the lock codes for the tech carts (a neighbouring teacher needs to unlock them).

7. engineerkyle

engineerkyle Companion

Nov 19, 2015

Thanks for the replies so far.

I've been interviewing people to gather more qualitative data. One secretary said that student referrals from subs for poor student behavior are regularly torn up by the principal. Any other stories off disrespecting subs?

ek

8. Bak2Math

Bak2Math Rookie

Nov 25, 2015

Sorry for the delay... been very busy in current long-term sub position...

Briefly. HR in my county and the neighboring county seem very fractured and disorganized regarding follow ups for sub position inquiries and applications. My first response for this was 4 paragraphs long before I decided it was over the top. And I wasn't even half way done stating everything I have experienced first hand.

"One secretary said that student referrals from subs for poor student behavior are regularly torn up by the principal. Any other stories off disrespecting subs?"

So far I have run into problems in 2 of 6 classes regarding disrespectful students to the point it is disrupting the entire class. I had a particularly bad day yesterday with one of those classes. I'll state the problem I am having again to the dept head via email and CC the principal this time.

If the kids can not be controlled how can the subs, let alone teachers, be expected to do their job?

9. engineerkyle

engineerkyle Companion

Nov 28, 2015

Thanks for the update