Building a Better Teacher

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Genmai, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Genmai

Genmai Companion

3. mrsf70

mrsf70 Companion

Mar 7, 2010

Outstanding article

I completely agree with the entire thing! The more techniques I have to help me reach kids, the better teacher I become. It's not just about "knowing" the material; it's about showing the kids how to "know" the material. When I break things down, especially into specific steps, students know exactly what to do. I've taught language arts, social studies, and now math at the middle school level, and this holds true for all of them.

The sad thing is I learned none of this while getting my teaching degree. I was lucky to have a master teacher as a partner for two years and learned SO MUCH from her. I've also heard speakers like Rick Wormelli and others who have inspired me to do things differently. The Internet has also been a blessing, connecting so many of us teachers and allowing a level of collaboration not possible even 20 years ago.

We are in a time of ever-increasing testing and data-collection, but until teachers are taught how to actually teach, none of it will matter.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2010

It's a very interesting article. I pre-ordered Lemov's book on Amazon; I'm always willing to learn something new.

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Mar 7, 2010

Very interesting. Thanks for posting it. I'm going to look at the book on Amazon too.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 7, 2010

I had never heard of this guy, but I ordered the book as well. I love the videos on his site. I think even with an education degree, many teachers never had classes in management and when they did-it was more theories more than specific techniques to use.

7. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Mar 7, 2010

Wonderful. Thank you so much for posting the link. The videos are great, and I can't wait until the book comes out. The fact that these techniques are so successful in an urban area really appeals to me, an urban school teacher.

8. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Mar 7, 2010

I read this article this morning from a twitter link. One of the things that I thought was refreshing was that this was an article on how to improve eduacation in the US that wasn't all about teacher-bashing.
    I know that I am not a "perfect" teacher, however, I do believe I am a darn good one. Why? Because I try my best to do a better job every year. I seek out educational opportunities and I look at the teachers in my building and seek out those I can learn from. I had to learn to do this as a young teacher, because as the article mentioned, you don't learn how to be a great teacher in teacher prep programs.

9. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Mar 7, 2010

When I reflect on my student teaching/teaching prep courses, I'm constantly amazed how how LITTLE they did to prepare me to teach.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2010

I'm bringing in a copy for our AP-- he loves sharing articles on education, and this one is great!!!

Here's my favorite quote:
    "
    “Teaching depends on what other people think,” Ball told me, “not what you think.” "

11. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Mar 7, 2010

I completely agree with this article. There are very few things that I learned in "teacher training" that I use on any type of consistent basis. In fact, much of what I know and do is the result of trial and error. The few things that are from teacher training are generally organizational procedures such as keeping gradebook together.

12. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Mar 7, 2010

agreed!

13. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Mar 8, 2010

I'm pre-ordering, as well. IMO, if I knew then (in college), what I know now (after experiences), I would have been able to make more out of my teacher prep courses.