BUILD Guided Math

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by gutterballjen, Apr 8, 2011.

1. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Apr 8, 2011

I've noticed that a lot of the schools I sub in started to use the BUILD guided math program for their lower grades. It's something that I definitely want to learn more about but am having trouble finding information about it. Is there a book that this is based off of? I know the Sisters are working on their D5 math program, is it related to this?

3. m1trLG2

m1trLG2 Companion

Apr 17, 2011

Found this as related to BUILD math but not sure if it's what you're talking about.

http://www.touchmath.com/index.cfm

It seems similar to D5 math which seems similar to a CGI math approach that I have been introduced to. I think the concept is to give students familiar tools to aid in a natural approach to problem solving. Rather than teaching them "this is how you add' allow them to explore adding and figure out how it works in a way that makes sense to them.

I love this at young levels... however I think it is the complete opposite of building a solid foundation for later math. I have not yet seen a good argument for how this transfers to algebra, geometry, or calculus.