Buffalo Snow

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by a2z, Nov 18, 2014.

1. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Nov 18, 2014

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 18, 2014

Makes our foot of snow seem like nothing. I remember seeing pix of snow storms like this when my uncles were in high school!

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2014

Buffalo is only about an hour and a half from me. Glad to be away from that lake-effect snow--we only have a centimetre or two. It's COLD though!

5. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Nov 19, 2014

I lived there for a while two years ago. The only time I ever started to get abs was during snow shoveling season :lol:.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2014

When someone asks me do you work out in the winter...Yup clearing driveway & sidewalks!!! At least I feel productive!!! LOL

7. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Nov 25, 2014

I do live here! The local channels showed all the happenings in Erie county for days so I didn't get to hear what the rest of the country was doing. I had about three feet of snow. I live in what some people consider ski country and we usually get the brunt of it, but the were places here the got up to seven feet of the wretched white stuff. My husband clocked in for work on Tuesday morning and clocked out on Saturday afternoon. He works for a utility company and is considered an essential worker. He had to go to different locations and stations and started handing out coffee to the police and national guard on his way. On the first day there were 120 vehicles stuck on the NY thruway which was closed for days and through a few counties. There were driving bans everwhere. Thirteen people died as a resul of the weather. There was a heartbreaking story of a man who tried to get home from work and ended up making several calls for help. Help never arrived and they found his car off the road under 12-15 feet of snow. What's strange is that on Sunday the temperature was about 46 degrees and 57 on Monday. This caused the snow to felt extremely fast causing flooding. It almosts looks like some places never even had snow now. I hope that Lake Erie freezes over for the winter so that we don't get the lake effect again this seaon. Buffalo is known for the Bills, the Sabres, chicken wings, snow, and good hearted, kind people. If you ever visit... please do it in the SUMMER !

d

8. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Nov 25, 2014

We also missed four days of school and parent teacher conferences! There are some districts that will not re-open until Dec 1st due to roof issues. Imagine those make up days?

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 25, 2014

I was griping earlier that I was cold. At five in the evening, it's 70 degrees outside. I turned our electric fireplace on.

I'd never make it up north.