Budget Cuts...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Shellbell601, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Shellbell601

Shellbell601 Rookie

Jan 11, 2010

Well...it looks like it is going to be a bad year for teachers in NY. My superintendent did a presentation today letting us know to expect MANY cuts for next year. I'm 99 percent sure I will not have a job next year. Are teachers losing their jobs everywhere or just in NY? I am freaking out a little bit but trying to stay positive. Where do you teach and are budgets being cut?

3. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Jan 11, 2010

I'm so sorry that you might lose your job. In Hawaii, teachers are dealing with "temporary" pay cuts of 8% for this school year and 8% for next school year. Our paycuts come by way of furlough days. Our parents are up in arms!

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 11, 2010

Kansas is dealing with a huge school budget crisis.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2010

Our superintendent just sent out a big email basically telling us that we're going to have zero money next year and many teachers will be out of work. It's upsetting, especially since I am one year away from being fully vested (retirement) and from earning that student loan credit for working in a low-SES school for five years. I'm crossing my fingers. It's all I can do....

6. Camel

Camel Rookie

Jan 11, 2010

Virginia is having lots of trouble. Our district is already fairly poor, and we had a lot of trouble cutting $5 million out of our budget last year without losing too many staff members.

This year we have to cut another $6 million. As far as our district is concerned, we might as well have to cut eleventy bajillion dollars. We try to do everything possible before getting rid of any jobs, but it's going to be hard this year. Pretty depressing stuff! :(

7. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jan 11, 2010

Our Super came a few months ago to let us know that we would be having a lot of pink slips again this year. No money. I was pink slipped last year, but thanks to retirements and fund shifting, my pink slip was rescinded before the end of the year. Good chance I will be pinked again.

8. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jan 11, 2010

Mississippi is in a similar situation. Being in a specialty that often gets cut first when things start getting cut, I worry about it. I figured it out. The recession up front didn't hit too hard for teachers and other state employees but on the back end after the state has absorbed all the front end loss due to low tax revenue, the state has to reallocate that loss in other areas. It's sad that education has to take a cut but so will other areas of state offered services. I guess that last depends on how your state's legislature and governor are allowed to work on budget issues.

I've been trying to keep tabs but it's not easy and the details are sketchy about what they're considering. Mississippi is considering district consolidation, budget cuts across the board, consolidation of all the traditional 'Black' universities, and some other stuff to make up another 200 million dollars.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 12, 2010

I'm in a pretty large district in southern CA (not LA) & my dist is offering the Golden Handshake this year. The last time they did it was several yrs ago. My mom's taking advantage of it & her last day is 2/26 (she's not a teacher). Boy, is she glad!

I'm nowhere near at the age where I can take advantage of it, but I'm trying to become an SLP, so w/ the shortage of them already & my dist doing the Handshake, I'm trying to get an SLP position for sometime this year.

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 12, 2010

Wow, so many places are cutting back. So sad.

To my knowledge my district is not having any cuts. My department is losing students to additional reading and math classes though so we'll see if our department (an elective) gets cut by one for next year. We were already cut by one at the end of last year, two people retired and only one was replaced.

11. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 12, 2010

No budget cuts here in Arkansas, but I haven't had a real raise in two years. We have a new superintendent and he's holding the purse strings tightly. We've also lost students and continue to do so. Last year we had about ten teachers retire and leave and they weren't replaced.

I was in a meeting yesterday and we've received a lot of Stimulus money, we were told they just spent $17,000 on three on-line programs. Why or why, couldn't they ask us what we'd rather have??? I'd rather had real book in my classroom! I hate money being wasted. Half the teachers in the district will never, ever even look on those sites.

12. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 12, 2010

While I understand your feelings, understand that there are stipulations on this money.

We are going to RIFing teachers (letting go), but my husband is the ag teacher and he will be getting a new school truck. There will be teachers upset about this, but they don't understand that the money for the truck comes from another area. If our school doesn't use the vocational money, they lose it and have to pay it back. Doesn't it make more sense to use it and then surplus the old truck for money for the general fund. He gets new technology each year and the other teachers are upset that they are still using the old computers. I am just happy that his old stuff is sent to my room. The computer guy brings it over to me. That means that I never get the new stuff that everyone else gets and that a teacher further on the food chain gets something she wouldn't. So before you "second" guess your principal and supt. realize that they have the big picture.

13. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Jan 12, 2010

We were told that there are lots of strings attached to the stimulus money. We also received money for our exceptional children program that is always the first to get money. They are swimming in it and we aren't allowed to use it for anything else. We have been promised $$$$ from stimulus funds, but the rules seem to change every week. It is hard to spend $ you don't have, but they will not send it to us without receipts. If we ask for the money before it is spent, we have 3 days to spend it or we have to repay it with interest.

We haven't seen any real cuts. We are a really small district and have a good reserve built up. There isn't a lot of fat to cut. We have 3 English teachers, 2 math teachers, 1 art teacher, 2 science teachers, 2 social studies teachers - the high school and junior high. Our foreign language teacher is shared with the elementary along with the music teacher.

14. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jan 12, 2010

It is amazing how poorly FLa funds schools. Property taxes and the poor counties (no beach front property) struggle.
    We have had no raises or even step increases (which were contracted) in 3 years. Lots of postitions NOT filled as people retired. THANK GOD Fla mandated PE for 30 minutes each day right before the crash came. Myself, I am just happy to have a job when I see the unemployment rates..........

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2010

We have not been given notice yet of any cuts for next year. We may not get a raise or step increase (for the 4th year) but at least people may have jobs.

16. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jan 12, 2010

Of course there are a lot of strings attached with the stimulus money - it's from the government, specifically the federal government. Just like when people get all excited about going Title 1 and getting funds - they don't realize the impact it will be if you don't follow through and meet all the expectations that go a long with the $$$$.

17. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jan 12, 2010

Stephen,
    Our PE is 30 minutes recess/PE !!(I do duty.) We do get PE from a PE teacher twice every 7 days!! :)

18. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2010

Definite cuts coming in my SoCal district. Rumor has it as 2-3 work year reduction days - different from real furlough days, because it actually makes the school year shorter and doesn't screw up your retirement.

19. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jan 14, 2010

Well, a 10% cut across the board was passed in the Mississippi Senate and now it has to pass the House. After that.....I can't say, but I'm already making my contingency plans.

20. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2010

Looking bad in our county. Told today to expect a 10% pay cut next year and several more furlough days this semester. I had better see that the legislators are also taking a 10 % cut.

21. Ross

Ross Comrade

Jan 15, 2010

Don't hold your breath. Those in power do not give up what they can take. Even those few times the politicians claim they are also cutting back, they still enjoy benefits and perks at our expense.

Our expense means money that should have been wisely allocated for education.

22. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jan 16, 2010

Things are tight in my area. Quite a few districts around us have been closing schools, and one district in our county is about to go under, unless it can consolidate with another. We were told our district was in good shape, but now we are looking at close three elementary schools in the next three years (we only have FOUR total!) I'm hoping I'll still have a job next year, but even then, there's a good chance I won't before the next three years are done. People are really worried...and it doesn't look like things will get better anytime soon.

23. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jan 18, 2010

Well, based on a statement given by our new Superintendent of Ed. we'll start seeing some effects from the possible budget cuts, district consolidations, etc., etc., etc. within 90 days. The bill hasn't even passed yet or been signed by the Guv. Three months to make a reasonable effective contingency plan. It'll have to be enough.

24. SashaBear

SashaBear Companion

Jan 18, 2010

I am a subsititute teacher (licensed) in my son's school district. They have to cut $600,000 but luckily no teachers will be cut. I just wonder if any will HIRED

25. kidsandpups

kidsandpups Companion

Jan 18, 2010

We heard this week that there is a good possibility that our school will be closing and we'll all be out of a job in June.