Budget cuts..what did you lose??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by NEFLteacher, Oct 21, 2008.

1. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

Oct 21, 2008

Florida is going thru tough budget times. It's rough for everyone. I'm still subbing as I look for permanant position after being SAHM and working part time.

Teachers at my local school lost the right to have microwaves, coffeepots, refridgerators in their rooms. Today the maintenance staff was seen confiscating any remaining/hidden ones and bringing them to the office.

Luckily as a sub I don't stay late after school b/c the a/c is turned so far up after the bell that I up sweating up a storm. One teacher hides a fan to keep her cool.

What have any of you lost????

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 21, 2008

You've got to be kidding me! No microwaves or fridges?

We may be losing part of our instruction money. Not sure yet. Supposably, we aren't going into proration. We'll see. We cut back on field trips because it costs to much to fill the bus.

4. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Oct 21, 2008

Oh my! I'm in Florida too, and we've had major budget cuts...but I don't have to hide my fan or mini fridge.

We've had several positions in my school cut though.

5. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

Oct 21, 2008

I know the teachers aren't too thrilled...I think they are talking to the union reps about it b/c it's not county wide at this point. The teachers at this school have to pay to put their kids in extended day too, while some schools allow children in the classroom after hours.

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 21, 2008

We were not allowed to have any fridges or microwaves at my school in Michigan because it used too much electricity. We were also suppose to shut our computers down at night for that reason, but I didn't-I always have about 25 tabs open on my internet (total ADHD) and didn't want to have to re-find them all in the morning.

7. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Oct 21, 2008

We were TECHNICALLY not supposed to have fridges, etc. in one of the schools I used to work in for the same reason. (But it wasn't enforced...even the P had one in her office. :whistle:)

As for shutting down computers and having lots of tabs open, I'm the same way! I get tired of opening them up every time I need something, so I just leave them open. :lol:

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 21, 2008

Yeah-what would we do if we couldn't quickly get to A-Z for our fix??? :haha:

9. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Oct 21, 2008

We lost the fridges and microwaves (I'm not a coffee drinker so that wasn't an issue for me) around 3 or 4 years ago. This year it's printer ink, paper, laminating film and other items that are biting the dust. Jem and Mr. D, you would be in trouble here then. The tech department has just instituted an automatic log-off program where if you leave your computer on the system will automatically log it off @ 9:00.

10. Luv2Learn

Luv2Learn Companion

Oct 21, 2008

Are these items in your individual classroom or within the teachers' lounge? I never remember there being anything in classrooms other than desks and chairs. I guess I'm showing my age, huh?

11. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 21, 2008

We have the automatic computer shut-down, but I usually remember to do it myself. I have everything on a hot strip that I can turn off at the end of the day so I'm not "trickling" electricity anywhere. Our department's budget is pretty tight, so we're asking the PTSA for things like release days or conference money. Fortunately, they're pretty generous - they've approved a new offset printer to replace the two old ones we have (only one of which works, and only some of the time) and our old copier that runs so hot you practically burn your fingers taking out your copies!

12. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 21, 2008

Our schools have always made parents pay for extended day! Even when I was in school.

13. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 21, 2008

99% of all our teachers have mini fridges in their rooms and special ed classes have full fridges. As for microwaves on seen about half with them. The coffee makers are few.

14. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Oct 21, 2008

In Hawaii, all personal mini-fridges and microwaves must be removed from classrooms no later than 12/31/08.

15. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Oct 21, 2008

We had to remove fridges and microwaves a couple years ago. For our district it was a safety issue not saving money issue.We have not had any cuts this year. Our legislature met a month ago for a deficit and they cut all budgets 3% but education. Our gov loves us. But we will start next year in the whole.
    Field trips cost more this year!

16. forkids

forkids Cohort

Oct 21, 2008

We just had a two percent budget cut come down from the state level. In our district we have no field trips, no one gets a substitute when they are out except pre-K and special needs personnel -they only get one because it is state mandated. When other teachers are out parapros or whoever is available is pulled to cover. All support personnel and administration personnel have had a 5 day pay cut. We are facing another 3 percent cut for next year as well, and we are wondering what will happen then.

17. swtteacher

swtteacher Rookie

Oct 21, 2008

Originally Posted by NEFLteacher
    I know the teachers aren't too thrilled...I think they are talking to the union reps about it b/c it's not county wide at this point. The teachers at this school have to pay to put their kids in extended day too, while some schools allow children in the classroom after hours.
    What exactly is extended day? Is that like after school care?

At my school, teachers are allowed to have their own children in their classrooms after dismissal. My son comes in at 3:30, when car riders are dismissed, and walks with us during bus dismissal at 3:45. Do you mean that this practice is not allowed?

I know that at some schools children are not allowed during workdays. Luckily, we haven't come to that yet. I would much rather leave my son at home during a weekday, but when you don't have a babysitter or family member available--it's nice to be able to have the option to bring him. I work much better WITHOUT him there, but at least I CAN bring him.

18. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

Oct 21, 2008

We lost copies and paper. We only get 5,000 copies for the entire year, including the weekly tests for the reading series (4 pages per students) and the math and social studies unit tests (2-5 pages per student). It is going to be an interesting year....:rolleyes:

19. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Oct 21, 2008

Nothing, luckily.

20. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 22, 2008

Extended day lasts till 5:30pm in our area. It is a place to do homework, get a snack and play games or watch a movie. Pretty much it is just daycare for parents that work late and have no one to watch the kids. Teachers work in mo. roatations. If you are a child with a family member(mom,dad,grandma, aunt, etc.) that works there you can wait with in there classroom, but you must leave when they leave or you will have to go to extended day. They also have detention from 3:00-3:30 but parents must pick you up by 3:30pm or you will have to go to extended day. I think its $10 a day.
    I can not belive you are dismissing kids at late as 3:45!! WOW! In our area from 2:30-2:45 is pack up time. 2:50-2:55- Car riders,walkers, and some daycare centers dismiss. from 2:55-3:00 bus riders go out to there spots to wait for there bus to be called by a teacher/aide that has duty. 3:00pm -extended day leaves and goes to the lunchroom. Subs can leave at 3pm after all students are gone and teachers aides leave at 3:30pm and teachers leave after that whenever they are ready or done for the day.

21. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

Oct 22, 2008

Here, teachers report to work 25 minutes before students enter the class and work 20 minutes after dismissal (I know all teachers work more but this is their contract time). They are now required to put their own children in extended morning/after school program. $250/month per kid! Teacher's children are no longer allowed to "hang out" in the parents room.

22. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 22, 2008

Clearly an administrator without family or children first. Our Supt is a dad first, so he understands parents needs.

23. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 22, 2008

NEFL, whoever instituted this policy obviously has not ability to see things long term. Don't they realize they'll get more work out of teachers if they take care of them? That would include allowing their own kids ot hang out with them after dismissal. If I knew I had to pay for afterschool, I would be out at my contracted time, no iffs ands or butts. All those extra meetings I'm not contracted for? Forget it...not gonna happen. I'm astounded by the lack of foresight shown by administrators...then again, maybe I'm not.

24. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Oct 22, 2008

YEP, good old Charlie Crist , that lying @%&$&*. "Education will not be touched by these new laws." WE lost all that stuff too. And a teacher from a VERY small staff. Kindergarten is now loaded up.
    And raises we negotiated LAST year were not given. And insurance has gone to garbage. Very little coverage for the same big price.

25. xmasqueen

xmasqueen Rookie

Oct 22, 2008

No Fridge! I would definitely rebel. lol Right now I'm glad I live in LA, we're pretty solid as far as funding for our district goes but they are thinking about going to 4 day work weeks to cut buses from using gas 5 days. There is another district not far from us that has a rural population and they are piloting it this year. Did you guys suggest they cut administrative salaries to reduce costs. (snicker)