Budget cuts in Kentucky

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MarshNConsMom, Feb 3, 2009.

1. MarshNConsMom

MarshNConsMom Rookie

Feb 3, 2009

Fist of all, in my county there is a hiring freeze, so no new positions obviously. Secondly, my job as a para could be in jeopardy. I was hired last year and I don't think 22 others were hired after me. The cuts that would "have" to be made would include 22 teaching positions as well.

The Superintendent spoke with our school today about the issue. The cuts are not set in stone as our state has not voted yet. Our local legislators will be hosting a public meeting on Saturday. He urged us to speak, but as to the cuts being detrimental to the kids and not to mention worrying about losing the job.

I hope to talk to my principal soon about a long term sub position that will be available at the beginning of the school year. It appears that my best bet would be to become a sub and hope for long term assignments.

I know cuts are necessary in this horrible time, but at who's expense? The children will be the one's who suffer.

Who said that the teaching profession is recession proof? Phooey on them!

3. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Feb 4, 2009

I hadn't heard that yet, but expected it. Are you in central Ky? I was hoping to move closer to Lexington this year...I guess that may be out of the question. My fingers are crossed for you to keep your job.

4. MarshNConsMom

MarshNConsMom Rookie

Feb 4, 2009

I'm in Northern Ky. Our county is being asked to cut 6.7% of it's budget. The surrounding counties are in a hiring freeze as well. I am not in a position to move anywhere else so I'll just have to ride it out.

5. bet3

bet3 Companion

Feb 7, 2009

I'm in Eastern Kentucky and I've been looking for 2 years now with no luck. With budget cuts, I don't see my situation getting any better. (My area of certification is English, middle and secondary grades.)

6. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Feb 7, 2009

I'm in Eastern Ky also, I haven't heard anything so far about how dire our situation will be...so Good Luck finding something!

7. bet3

bet3 Companion

Feb 7, 2009

Thanks! I wish the same for you.