$$$ Budget and Reimbursement

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ayotte04, Jul 16, 2007.

1. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

How common is it for teachers to go buy supplies on their own and then be reimbursed later with their school budget?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

It's possible at our school, but there's a lot of paperwork. It's much easier to submit a request the day before and just pick up the school credit card for those purchases.

If I'm purchasing something that is just for my use or for student use, I often spend my own money and save the receipts so that I can take the tax deduction (up to $250 per year, I think).

4. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

aww man..only $250? I better stop shopping. hahaha

5. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

I know it is only $250 but it does help. In addition I don't mind spending my own money, I want certain things in my classroom to make my life easier, so I will make my life easier. It does help thought that for 12 years my husband was active duty army, you get used to spending your own money on your job when you need to buy uniforms and boots, heck before he went to Iraq he had to buy a few items of saftey equiptment himself because they army couldn't provide it. Considering how much I spend, well lets just say its a fraction of what he spent every year.

6. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

I was in the military for a bit. Been there. Done that. And I agree about some things not caring if I spend my cash. Like you...I need things a certain way or else I'll go nuts if I'm not organized. My new classroom has almost NO storage at all. I didn't feel like waiting to see what (or if) I can get some bookshelves so I just broke down and bought a few cheap ones ($15) form Target. I'll be able to sleep better at night. And when I'm able to say that about anything I purchase, it makes the price more than worth it.

7. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

Especially if it is something you will use year after year, then it is worth it. I spent nearly $1000 in the month after I got my job, but you know what, I was grateful every single day for the stuff I got because every single day it made my job easier. That is how you know you made a good purchace.

8. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

exactly. when you use that purchase every freagin day and you think to yourself "Self...that was d*&% expensive but worth it. And I'm so much more organized because of it"

I looked at all the pencils boxes I had bought today to use as a class set to be shared among all my classes and thought...wow I just dropped about $20 on stupid pencil boxes....but if I take decent care of them, I don't have to buy them again next year (patting self on back)

9. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

I just keep thinking of all the ones I got at the staples penny sale, and I smile, I hate it when the kids open the colored pencils and the bottom of the box breaks and they land all over the floor! I will put all the colored pencisl in there. It is really a shame how happy .30 cents worth of pencil cases makes me smile.!

10. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

well now wait a minute. are we talking about the same ones? BEcause theres the kind where there's like a little button on top and the case is narrow and has a sliding compartment like a matchbox.

I'm talking about like old school pencil boxes that can fit pencils, glue, scissors, excedrin, etc in....

11. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

Nope guess not, didn't know those ones that held all that stuff were on sale anywhere....except wallyworld where I saw them yesterday for 5 for $5 (I think). Where did you get them cheap?

12. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

ah...(beaming with joy) this is what happens during summer vacation with a teacher who is going through instructing withdrawal.

I priced those suckers at every big store....it started with Wally's at $1, then big lots was .89, then Target at .79, then Wally's (a different version) at .50 and Office Depot at .19.

The office depot ones are crappy quality. The Target ones are pretty nice, but I settled on the majority of my inventory from Wally's for .50

13. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

14. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

yes yes...saw those online...but how many are you getting? and how are they organizing things in there?

15. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

I will be getting two, and arranging them horizontially. I have baskets I got at the doller store for my cooperative groups, their supply buckets will be in there. I will put in my bucket of scissors, rulers, glue etc in there and on the bottom, probably their folders and stuff.

16. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 16, 2007

ha ha ha :rolleyes:

As you can tell, this does not happen in my district.

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 16, 2007

When I first started teaching, we were allowed to purchase items and then turn in the receipt for reimbursement. However, the stopped that several years and two superintendents ago.

Now we must fill out a requisition form and turn it in with the information about what we're purchasing. The school does the ordering.

It's not a huge hassle . . . but it does make those last -minute things next to impossible.

18. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 16, 2007

I try to use my money to buy things I know I'll use for a long time. Consumables I try to use my school money for. I do buy extra supplies for students at the beginning of the year. Often I have 2-3 students who do not bring any supplies. They are allowed to borrow mine until they bring them, but most don't.