Bud, Not Buddy....suggestions????

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Bookpusher, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Bookpusher

Bookpusher New Member

Jun 28, 2009

I am teaching this novel during summer school. I need to come up with hands-on activities to help break the "typical" novel unit acitivites: reading orally, summarizing, journaling, etc. I am searching for some "crafty" type things to do as well as short physical activities to help break up the monotony. I will have them use cereal boxes to make their own suitcase and ask them to select 5 items (or pix) that represent what they would take with them if they had to leave their home and have them present these in class. I will have them act out certain sections. If you have a crafty idea or some physical type activity that you have used with other novels that I might adapt to Bud, Not Buddy, please share!! I want to make this a good experience for the kids. I do plan to play some jazz CD's. I will have them for an hour and one-half per session. Any and all ideas are welcomed. Thanks!

3. Mr. K

Mr. K Rookie

Jun 28, 2009

Bud Not Buddy

I have had the kids make their own "rock timeline." I gather, buy , or have the kids bring in small rocks. They make a personal timeline of events in their lives and then paint or use a sharpie to record these special dates on their rocks. They then buddy up and share their timelines.

We also make novel ties. The students make a large cutout of a man's tie from posterboard. They then have to draw or use internet images to tell 10 things that happened from the story. They glue their pictures along with a brief description. I make them include an author photo, a copy of th ebook cover, and the Newbery seal. They really enjoy making these.

4. Bookpusher

Bookpusher New Member

Jun 28, 2009

Mr. K,
    Thanks, I will include these great ideas!

5. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jun 28, 2009

Be sure to let them listen to part of the story on tape - I know the version we had the class listen to was great, and we were able to focus on reading with feeling, emphasis, etc.

6. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 29, 2009

I love the tie idea!!!!!! Do they wear the ties and present their 10 things or did you hang them up? If you hung them, what caption did you use? I think this would be so fun!!!!!!!!!

7. Mr. K

Mr. K Rookie

Jun 30, 2009

Bud, Not Buddy

Thanks!

i had the students share their ties in small groups...27 kids would take too long. I did hang them up. I just called them "Bud Not Buddy Novel Ties"...not too creative!