Bucketfillers - idea needed please

Discussion in 'General Education' started by carrieSAtoUSA, Aug 4, 2011.

1. carrieSAtoUSA

carrieSAtoUSA Rookie

Aug 4, 2011

Does anyone do Bucketfillers in their class? I want to do it, but can't afford to go out and buy 21 buckets. I am looking for a bucket template or some other idea that you may use to put up on your boards?

3. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Aug 4, 2011

4. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 4, 2011

I am really looking into doing this in my class this year! I am looking forward to doing this!

5. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Aug 4, 2011

I did bucketfillers with my class this last year, but I did it a little differently. I started it because my kids were starting to get mean and form cliques. So instead of each child having a bucket, I had one large class bucket. Students would fill out the slips and put them in 'my' bucket. (I explained that my bucket would be filled when they were well behaved and getting along). At the end of the week I would read them aloud (omitting who had given the bucketfiller) and pass out the slips. This worked really well for my kids because they got to have others acknowledge the nice things they had done/said. I made sure to go through them beforehand to check that they were appropriate and would add some of my own.

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 4, 2011

I think I may do that this year!! I love new ideas!

7. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Aug 4, 2011

I found a picture of a sand bucket in a coloring book and printed one for each of my students on construction paper. I laminated them & displayed in the room them with students names on them. Then I found a sheet of raindrop outlines-I think it was from a file folder game-which I copied, laminated, & cut apart. When I see someone being a bucket filler, I stick a raindrop (I use sticky tack for this) on their bucket. When they get 10 raindrops, they get to get something out of my "prize" bucket. I also have a class bucket- slightly larger version of the student bucket (on construction paper & laminated). When our class gets a compliment, etc. we get a raindrop on the class bucket. When we get 12, I bring a bucket/pail of ice cream as a treat for the class.

8. carrieSAtoUSA

carrieSAtoUSA Rookie

Aug 5, 2011

That's a GREAT idea! I love the raindrops :)

9. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Aug 5, 2011

I did this last year (and will again this year) but I did it a little differently. I wanted students to communicate exactly why they were filling someone's bucket or how someone filled theirs. So I made a mini display just by putting up a rectangular piece of butcher paper and outlining it with border. I then bought colorful pockets (like the kind you stick in the front of books for library checkout cards) and attached those to the paper (one for each student).

Each student got a bucket printout to write their name on, decorate anyway they wanted, and cut out. Those then got glued to the front of the pockets. I use two different slips that students can fill out. They say either "Dear _____, I want to fill your bucket today because _________. Sincerely, ____" or "Dear _____, Thank you for filling my bucket by _______. Sincerely, ____". I got these from another teacher's website but cannot remember at the moment where.

Students can use their free time in class to fill out slips and students take the slips in their pockets home on Fridays. I'd like to have them collect them daily but I haven't quite figured that out without taking up too much time. This was very inexpensive as all I had to pay for were the pockets which I believe are in the neighborhood o $4 or $5 at Lakeshore.

10. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2011

My school had class buckets last year. But each classroom (of older kids, I teach PreK, lol) also had papers with buckets on them, and the kids were encouraged to fill someone's bucket individually by writing a note to that person on a bucket paper and putting it in the student's mailbox.

The Ellison has a cut die-cut for a bucket, too.

11. cheer

cheer Comrade

Aug 5, 2011

I am going to do this for the first time and I am using donated French fries containers. I am really excited to see how it goes.

12. dbcteacher

dbcteacher Rookie

Aug 5, 2011

I use a class bucket and we fill it with cotton balls to get an ice cream treat.:p

13. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Aug 6, 2011

I haven't read all the replies here so excuse me if I'm repeating myself.

I am starting to do bucket fillers this year. I stole most of my ideas from Beth Newingham on the set-up end.

I purchased a door hanging shoe holder (the plastic kind). I had a coupon for JoAnn's (which you can get online) so I went looking for something to use as my "buckets." I purchased the foam mug holders which were on sale for $0.60/each then used my coupon. They fit in the shoe pockets PERFECTLY! I got 4 different colors and alternated them. Love the way it turned out.

14. dbcteacher

dbcteacher Rookie

Aug 6, 2011

I mentioned earlier that I use a class bucket. I like this idea because often I have at least one child who isn't a frequent bucket filler because he/she doesn't really know how. By having the whole class sharing how they filled someone's bucket or had their bucket filled the child who has had a hard time with this begins to see ways to fill buckets, too.