Bucket filling in grade 4?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Canteacher, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Canteacher

Canteacher Rookie

Aug 13, 2011

I have recently discovered the "Have you filled a bucket today?" books and such. I am really interested in using this in fourth grade, but am not sure how and am looking for some ideas. From browsing online, I have seen teachers with bulletin boards with buckets that students leave messages in. I am looking for something that will be low maintenance for the teacher but still effective...I was thinking of some kind of journal where students could write about how they have filled someone's bucket or have had their bucket filled. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 31, 2011

We used the drops as a school-wide program for a couple of years. The P started off by explaining what the concept was. This is key or it just looks like a gimmick. Teachers were told to give a drop to at least one student each month, and these were posted on a hallway bulletin board. If you are just introducing the idea, I'd suggest making it more of an active practice. Decide on a weekly "drop day". Then find a way to assign each child another child's name for the day. I had mine draw sticks, look to their left/right, etc. Then the kids keep a secret eye on the others and look for legitimate reason to "drop in" on their partners. They wrote up the drops and presented them to each other at the end of the day. This year I am incorporating them into my star student weekly fun. Hope this helps.

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 31, 2011

Oh, and have the kids fill THEIR OWN buckets once in awhile! This is so important. Kids don't seem to know how to love themselves despite opposition from peers. Think of how a strong self-concept weakens a bully's impact.

5. jennyd

jennyd Companion

Sep 8, 2011

I'm trying this for the first time this year! I also wanted something really low-maintenance, especially since I wasn't sure how it would go over (I'd be crushed if I put all sorts of time, energy and money into a plan that completely flopped). I figure if it goes well, I can always ramp it up a bit next year.

I've strung up a bunch of plastic cups on a closet door (I got the idea from this site, maybe the 5th picture down?), and I have several cups of pom poms strung along the bottom. I read the book on the 2nd day of school and we talked about the kinds of things that would fill someone's bucket. It's completely independent for the kids- they decide when they've filled someone's bucket, or when their bucket has been filled and they add a pom pom. When their bucket gets filled, I'll empty it out and put a sticker on the cup, and they start over.

All the kids have at least a few pom poms in their bucket (we've been in school for a week). A couple of kids have already filled theirs - they're bordering on obnoxious with how they're looking for ways to fill their bucket. BUT, I figure they're using their powers for good, not evil, and perhaps some of the frantic novelty will wear off over time.

Really, the only reward is knowing they did something that can help someone feel better. And the little sticker on the cup.

Like I said, this is new for me so who knows how it will turn out. Best of luck to you, Canteacher!