Bucket fillers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pencil Monkey, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 10, 2009

3. mandabee

mandabee Rookie

Jul 10, 2009

we do this at my school. There is actually a picture book that talks about the concept that we read to the kids each year. The kids and teachers all love it. We have a bucket in the classroom and one in the main hallway(this seems a little different than your link, but I don't think there's a wrong way to do it).

There are raindrop cutouts that kids or teachers can fill out to tell how someone has "filled their bucket." Teachers can submit raindrops to the bucket in the main hallway. Then once a month at out student assembly (we pass out character trait and academic awards) the principal hands out a Principal's Award to some of the kids whose teacher submitted a drop in the hallway bucket. It's really neat because a lot of these kids would never receive an award for academics.

The drops range from "picking up trash" to "good behavior from a substitute" etc. In class we read weekly all the ways we have filled eachother's buckets (its all in the book: there are bucket fillers and bucket dippers).

Hope that helps!

4. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Companion

Jul 10, 2009

What a great idea! Do you know the name of the book that goes along with it? :)

5. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Jul 10, 2009

We do this at my school as well. We kicked off our staff beginning to the year meeting with the picture book. We (teachers) each received a small bucket and throughout the year were asked to fill out (or could fill out whenever we wanted to) rain drops to compliment our co-workers. We attached the compliments to a bulletin board so we could all view them. Then once a month we celebrated and a raindrop was read and that person who received the compliments got a prize.
    I didn't do it in my room this year (I had all the materials but never got around to implementing it) but I plan on doing it this year. I think it really helps to build a community (school and classroom).

6. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 10, 2009

You beat me to it Julie, I was going to post asking if anyone uses this in their class! (I saw it on Beth's site too.)

The book is Have You Filled a Bucket Today: A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids by Carol McCloud (Author), David Messing (Illustrator).

I wouldn't be using it whole school, just in my room. Anyone do that?

7. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Companion

Jul 10, 2009

Thanks so much! :)

8. katydid205

katydid205 Companion

Jul 12, 2009

I just bought this book and I LOVE the idea of each child having a bucket. I think I'm going to cut out buckets and then use the colored garage sale circle stickers as their "drops" in the bucket. This is just going to be a bulletin board and it's not going to be my reward/behavior system. Just something fun to encourage kindness in my room.

9. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2009

I love this idea as well. I was thinking about instead of pom-poms, giving the kids the drops to fill out. That was the students who have been helping others will know what they were doing to help fill others buckets. It'll tempt them to show even more good character traits and do even more good deeds.

10. katydid205

katydid205 Companion

Jul 13, 2009

In my classroom each child will actually have a bucket (from oriental trading) and i'm going to keep them in shoe organizers. Also, each child will have a small "Bucket Journal" all located in the same basket. Every week each child will have to fill each others basket at least once and write their kind words in that person's journal. So, it'll be like an ongoing blog for each child. On Fridays each child can share their journals with the class.

11. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Rookie

Jul 18, 2009

I just bought the book yesterday from DiscountBookSale.com and paid only $1.39 because the 1st book you buy is a $5 discount. It totaled $6 with shipping. I went to Wal-mart and bought an over the door shoe organizer with clear pockets for about $7.00 (Mainstays brand). I plan to use the transparent colored party cups (I already have these) in each shoe pocket for their buckets. I bought wiggley eyes and will draw cheeks and a mouth on the cups to make a face. If you google "Have you filled a bucket" then you'll get to the author's website. They have products including posters and a resources link with helpful lessons and newsletters. The posters are inexpensive. What I'd like to know is how is everyone implementing this positive system? Will you let students put the pom-pom or raindrop in the other person's bucket (because the nice thing was for them)? or in their own bucket? When the pom-poms are gone and buckets are filled will you have a celebration? I emailed the author but haven't gotten a response yet.

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 18, 2009

We did this in my last classroom-the kids loved it! I used the shoe holder with small ice cream dishes in it, and then pom-poms to fill. Each student got three pom-poms at the end of lunch recess, and they could name three students who had filled their bucket that morning and how they filled it. Then they went and put the pom-poms in the buckets. They could also say if a student 'dipped' from their bucket, and pom-pom was taken out of both the dipper's bucket, and the dipp-ees bucket. This discouraged 'tattling', because a pom-pom was taken from your bucket. Student usually only shared dipping when it was quite serious, and the person who had 'dipped' was usually very aware of how sad the situation was. It was a great visual reference.

13. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

Ok, pulling up a week old post here. I was reading, then went on vaca and came back to it. I LOVE the various ways everyone uses this. I think I have managed to figure out a way to use it.

One question though - to those who used pom-poms in cups/buckets - what happens when the bucket is literally full of pom-poms?

14. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Sep 17, 2009

I LOVE this book, and I really want to implement some kind of program to make it more concrete. I want to stay away from using it as an incentive for prizes because the point, as I see it, is that just filling someone elses's bucket is so gratifying and rewarding, that your bucket (your good feelings about yourself) gets more and more full. Your good thoughts about yourself increase. I don't want prizes to distract them from this point...

Anyway, I'd like to have a bucket for each student, and get those foam stars and hearts that they sell at constructive playthings, or oriental trading. When someone fills someone else's bucket, they can put a heart or star or whatever into that person's bucket - and their own :).

I just want the buckets to be a reminder that everyone is walking around with a "bucket" and you havea million oppurtunities a day to fill theirs and your own at the same time. And if someone sees that someones bucket isn't very full, they can make a point to compliment them, ask them to play at recess etc...

But as others have asked... what happens when the buckets get fiilled up? Eventually I'm going to need that bulletin board for something else, so I guess they can just take their buckets home as a reminder of the program...

While I plan to use the language from the book the whole year through to resolve conflicts and keep a positiver atmosphere in the room... I'm not sure that we can keep the actual buckets going all year - simply because the foam pieces will get expensive and I don't want the program and the message to get "tired"...

Anybody have any good ways to "wrap up" the buckets, while keeping the message strong?

15. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2009

I just have 1 bucket in my room. I am really trying hard not to spend money on school stuff so I decided just to have one class bucket. I know the book talks about everyone's bucket so it's kind of a stretch but it works for us because we are a unit, so to speak. When somebody does something to fill a bucket, they add a pom ball thingy. If someone is a dipper, they take one out. I haven't decided what to do when it gets full... hmmm. But I just don't have the room for everyone to have a bucket.

16. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 17, 2009

Be sure you sign up for their emails.

17. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Sep 18, 2009

This is really cute!