BTSA sucks...

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Teacher_Man, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CareerChanger

CareerChanger Rookie

May 1, 2008

I will be teaching next year as an intern in CA. Will I need to do BTSA during my intern teaching year? That would seem to be a bit overwhelming, with having to take the university intern courses at the same time.... I am confused by BTSA.

2. Teacher_Man

Teacher_Man Rookie

May 1, 2008

That's another good question... Do you have an intern credential or a prelimenary credential? I think if you have an intern credential, eventually they'll give you a prelimenary credential once your intern status is over, but then you'll have to start BTSA then. Again, I could be totally wrong about this, so please verify wth someone in your district...

3. butterflywoman

butterflywoman Rookie

May 1, 2008

Not in the district that I am in = in Texas. I'm a first year Special Education teacher and I got absolutely no help what so ever. I got no support from my principal or the head of my department and now I've had to resign to keep from being non-renewed.

4. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

May 1, 2008

I taught in California on the Intern credential. They wanted me to start BTSA until they found out that they wouldn't be getting reimbursed from the State...they had me start the first year I was on my preliminary credential. I actually think it's an advantage, I'm doing things for the second time around, I can actually think about what I'm planning on working on and it's more value added...however, my earlier comment about the meaningless, time wasting paperwork and meetings still stands...

It seems to me that they structure it for the XX% of teachers who probably don't belong in the profession anyway...and sink the rest of us along with it.

5. l_ung123

l_ung123 Rookie

May 1, 2008

I took a BTSA day off today to finish, but the work seems endless. I'm suppose to turn in my binder this upcoming Tuesday!!!!! Does anyone else have to do an action research project? you're so lucky if you don't...=(

6. Teacher_Man

Teacher_Man Rookie

May 1, 2008

I might have to do one of those, but honestly because I'm so behind, I'm not even sure...

7. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

May 5, 2008

I'll pay someone to finish the BTSA paperwork for me!

I've had the most hideous past 4 weeks (a teacher quit and I took on yearbook, only to find that nothing had been done - another teacher passed away - parent/teacher conferences - STAR testing). And my SP is pressuring me to finish up events 10 and 11 this week. I'm really not interested in typing up a bunch of stuff in forms online. After working several 12-15 hour days in the past 4 weeks, BTSA is the last thing on my mind.:|

AND last year I heard how much easier year 2 is than year 1. That's Bullsh**. Event 10 is like writing a novel. :huh:

Oh, AND I'm gonna miss the 8th grade field trip for my last BTSA EL day . :mad:

8. 1angel

1angel Rookie

May 13, 2008

Ya know all these policies are driving really good people away! Who else but teachers puts up with all this stuff? I know every job has a lot that noone but those that do it knows what it involves, but really it's nothing compared to what teachers deal with.
    I previously owned a business and I swear I had less paperwork to do then!

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 13, 2008

Here, here. I hated BTSA. It seemed like my mentor always showed up on the days I needed my prep the most. I had taught out of state for three years before my first year here, so most of this stuff was just like college all over again-what garbage. With 150 students, three different grades of science and a drama class to teach, the last thing I needed to do was reflect on physical make-up of my room. There was a form where we had to fill in the names of all our support staff-our school didn't have ANYTHING, let alone a library or computer lab. The entire sheet was filled with 'N/A'. What a waste. When I left, I made sure to leave that binder in the closet-I pray my private school this fall won't require it.

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 14, 2008

is that job still open??? :rolleyes: Just pm me...and we can work out a deal.

sorry...just kidding..I know that is not right. but...

I was just shuffling thru some papers, and found my C&I masters cohort program stated that I must submit my final paper from last class to 1st prof. That was due a week ago! I emailed it quickly, but I wonder if anyone else in my class missed that as well! :unsure:

11. l_ung123

l_ung123 Rookie

May 14, 2008

I submitted my BTSA binder last Tuesday and just received an e-mail asking me to come in for corrections! The paper work that needs to be done is ridiculous. If anything it causes a lot more stress then help. I'm beyond frustrated!

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 14, 2008

Yeah, and I had to do my CLAD in a three month period on top of it! YUCK!

13. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

May 14, 2008

Do they just check your binder at the exit interview or do you have to turn it in?

14. kilgore_trout

kilgore_trout Rookie

May 15, 2008

No more!

Man, hearing you all talk about this really bums me out. I just finished my credential, and boy did that involve Kafkaesque mountains of bureaucratic nonsense :mad:. Increasingly, I hear bad things about BTSA. It sounds like such a great idea, on the surface, but the idea of bracing myself for more hoops to jump through makes me nauseous.

Is there no ray of light about BTSA? Is there anything a new teacher can do to make it less of a pain? Oh, and, P.S., you have my deepest sympathies!

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  15. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 15, 2008

Well-one good thing did come out of BTSA for me. My mentor had retired, so she gave me all of her old stuff. She was a bit peeved at the school, so she told me it was mine to take with me. When I left in feb., I took all her stuff with me. When she found out I was leaving early, she mentioned a couple of times that she would go through her materials with the new teacher, but I figured she must just be forgetting the fact that she gave it all TO ME.... so now it's in my storage unit, organized into beautiful labeled plastic boxes, waiting to grace the shelves of my new classroom. Thanks, BTSA!

16. Teacher_Man

Teacher_Man Rookie

May 16, 2008

The only real ray of light you can find is if you get a cool Support Provider. Hopefully you get someone that's not too anal about being letter-perfect with all the forms you have to fill out, but someone who still cares enough to listen and give you advice when you need it. Honestly, I think that can make or break the whole deal. Get to know the Support Provider at your school ASAP, and get a sense of what he/she will demand. If he/she is cool and not too strict, then I guess you have it better than some others...

Also, if you have cool other first-year teachers to work with who are in the same boat as you, that can help out too.

17. l_ung123

l_ung123 Rookie

May 19, 2008

at my district they make us turn it in and a panel reviews each section of the binder :(

18. Teacher_Man

Teacher_Man Rookie

May 19, 2008

My Year 1 Portfolio Review is scheduled for June 9. Let's hope it's painless enough, but honestly, I'd rather be scheduled for a root canal...

19. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

May 21, 2008

Im a first year intern, and after I get my preliminary in March 09, I will be enrolled in BTSA the following Sept. I can take my 5 classes online and they will Clear my credential. I'm not sure what else is involved. We can also buy college credit units for these classes 14 total units - and those you can take anywhere, I believe. Im in Palmdale, CA.

20. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

May 21, 2008

katrinkakat are you 300% sure of this? BTSA is pretty standard state wide and usually is comprised of a total of 12 "events" in a binder of some sort (unless you're part of RIMS-BTSA, and it's done online). There used to be classes that were required, but have since been encorporated into year 2. BTSA is changing for school year 2008-2009 and will only be 1 year.

I ask if you're sure because a teacher at my school was completely pi$$ed off to have to do BTSA because she did the (now no longer requred) classes during her masters program and thought she'd be cleared, but wasn't.

21. Teacher_Man

Teacher_Man Rookie

May 21, 2008

I agree with Exclaimation Pro, you might want to check your details and see if you're correct. Your version of BTSA sounds way different from any I've heard. However, if you are correct with the details, congratulations because your BTSA sounds better than my BTSA...

22. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

May 22, 2008

I dont know, I just went to our school district website and saw the classes there offered online for your clear credential. I dont know what else is entailed. I'm the only intern here, everyone else has been here a long time. I guess I'll find out Sept. 09 which is when Im told I will do it.

23. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 24, 2008

Katrinakakat, if all the other teacher's in your district have been working since 2002 I would contact the state's education board (look it up on the internet) and ask them. I believe it was 2002 or close to it when the requirements changed and BTSA became required for all teachers and not a choice.

24. chente

chente New Member

Jun 3, 2008

I am in the same boat, I do not think I am going to get my exit interview until after the summer. I still have loose ends to complete. If anybody does complete their exit interview, let me know what to expect.

25. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2008

Oh, I found it. Looks like a lot of work. Guess I will put off getting my masters until I am done with this. Fun!!

http://www.btsa.ca.gov/

26. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2008

I concur with the posters who said that a good support provider (my district calls them CTs, Consultant Teachers) can make BTSA tolerable or even valuable. And there are differences in programs - I did a couple of meetings in another district a few years ago, and it was totally annoying. Fortunately, my district got their own program approved by the state, and the meetings were usually interesting or at least tolerable. My CTs were incredibly helpful, too!

27. raneydae

raneydae Companion

Jul 12, 2008

I took the Clear Credential courses through Azusa Pacific and got my Clear Credentials in June '08. The only reason I was allowed to do this instead of BTSA is because I was working as a studio teacher (on-set with child actors), and obviously the production companies that employed me didn't offer a BTSA/induction program. I doubled up on classes and was able to finish the whole program in about 6 months.

I was kind of a special case (and I had to jump through a lot of hoops), but the majority of the other students in my classes were private school teachers.

So...I suppose if you really want to avoid BTSA (I've heard horror stories), you could get a job at a private school, take the APU classes and get clear credentials, and then apply at public schools. Who knows - maybe they'd be more keen to hire you if they didn't have to pay for your BTSA program, haha! :)

The classes were about $6000 and I got financial aid for them. Also - they're classes are offered in "hybrid" form: 3 Saturday classes per class, everything else online.

28. MsJen

MsJen Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

LOL. Yes, BTSA does indeed suck. I actually just completed my second year of it, so there is an end to this madness! Hang in there!

29. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2008

OMG It Is Starting Again!

Just got through registering for orientation for year 2. Found out I will have an individualized program because I changed school districts and the new district is a member of a different consortium. Apparently there are significant differences between programs even though they are all based on the same state standards. At least I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Or am I halucinating?

30. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 24, 2008

I was really lucky when I changed schools after my first year. Where I live/teach there's a 4 county coalition and BTSA is standard throughout the 4 counties.

However, I'm now allllll done! I got an email from the BTSA people asking what name I want on my clear credentials! Of course I have to pay for them and have no money until the beginning of next month. It's always something! ;oP

31. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2008

Congratulations on completing BTSA and qualifying for your clear credential!

My new district is in a consortium composed of two counties. Unfortunately, neither one is the county I was teaching in. It was big enough to have its own consortium.

32. mel-bel

mel-bel Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

BTSA BITES!

I just completed BTSA in May and am so relieved to be finished with the beast! I was, however, blessed with 2 great support providers who helped make the experience a little more bearable! I actually stayed in a crappy district just to complete the program, just to avoid having problems with things not transferring! And my new district was glad that I now have my clear credential with only 12 post-bac units (I was able to buy credit through CSUBakersfield) because that means they don't have to shell out the money to put me through BTSA!

My exit binder was 3" thick and my friend and I took 2 days off to get it finished! And I wasn't procrastinating, either! After each of those dreadful events or academies, I'd take the useful handouts, etc. and file them in my binder! But it still took FOREVER to complete!

All I can say is that I am SOOOO happy to be done with BTSA! And I feel sorry for anyone who has to go through it!!

33. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Jul 25, 2008

I am licensed in California as well and I am working to clear my credential right now. As I understand it, BTSA is not the only route. I am clearing my credential by taking the 4 upper level classes (SPED, tech, Health and one other) and once I complete those, National University will recommend the state clear my credential.

34. raneydae

raneydae Companion

Jul 25, 2008

No, BTSA isn't the only route. Did you see my post on the previous page about going through Azusa Pacific as well?

I think the classes are only an option if you teach in a private school or a district that doesn't offer BTSA, otherwise, you're stuck doing BTSA...

35. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 25, 2008

mel-bel Wow! I didn't have to do an exit binder. Where I am it's all done online and we have/had to document stuff as it happened. Since it was online we didn't need to take any classes to clear the technology portion. Though, I'm sure that if I printed out all of my online stuff it would have been 3"!

36. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2008

If you are a recent graduate of a California teacher preparation program with a SB 2042 credential your only option is an approved induction program (read BTSA whether they call it that or not) if one is available. If your district determines one is not available, then you may do a 5th year program.

37. mel-bel

mel-bel Rookie

Jul 26, 2008

I was the last class at CSUB to graduate under the old RYAN credential and therefore has the option of either clearing through BTSA or taking the 5th year at CSUB. Since the district I was hired in "highly recommended" BTSA and I didn't have to pay grad fees to clear my credential, I went for the BTSA route. Boy was I sorry! Needless to say that if I had known, I would just paid and taken the 5th year!

I think that the concept of BTSA is sound, but the busy work on top of trying to survive your first 2 years of teaching sucks any benefit right out of the program!

38. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 26, 2008

I've had this discussion several times in real life. I think that mentoring and reflection are a great thing. And if this is all BTSA was, it would be great. But all the busy work make your first two years of teaching extra difficult. I was really lucky to have two different BTSA providers who would just come to my classroom and make me do the work. One first year teacher I worked with last year had the worst provider who told her wrong information and didn't make her do any of the work. If this teacher has her BTSA stuff audited she may have to go back and do it over.

39. MsJen

MsJen Rookie

Jul 26, 2008

I am just sooo glad to be done with this whole BTSA ordeal. Mel, my binder was a monster as well.

For those of you still in it, hang in there. Just don't let yourself get too behind on the paperwork. That's all I found BTSA to be...MINDLESS PAPERWORK! Good luck!

40. Cami

Cami New Member

Mar 16, 2010

I just got my Preliminary Credential (Math) and it seems that I must go through this Commission-approved Induction Program. I already read few things about it here and at BTSA site, but I still want to know more details about it. Could you tell me where to read more? Or should I go to speak with a district counselor? I'm a bit scared after reading some experiences, so are additional routes to BTSA here in San Diego area? I mention that I didn't finish the school and the teaching credential program here in California.
    Please help me with your suggestions. Thank you so much!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.