BTSA or National Board Certification?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bizzbeth125, Aug 13, 2011.

1. bizzbeth125

bizzbeth125 Rookie

Aug 13, 2011

Hi!

I completed schooling for my credential January 2011. I am now looking into options to clear my credential. I originally was going to go through a BTSA program, but several of the teachers at my school have gone through National Board Certification and highly recommend it. I'll have to wait another year to be eligible for National Boards, though.

I'd love to get anyone's opinion who has cleared their credential through one of these two options.

Thanks so much!

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2011

I thought you had to do BTSA in CA.

I know some districts have a pay bump for NBC, but mine doesn't, so I haven't pursued it.

4. KateL

KateL Habitué

Aug 13, 2011

I thought you had to teach for 3 years before doing the National Board program? Wouldn't that cut it awfully close to the 5-year limit on clearing your credential?

I just finished BTSA. It had its pluses and minuses, and I think the National Board program has gotten more favorable reviews, but I was under the impression that it was designed for seasoned educators.

5. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 13, 2011

For take one (one entry) you do not have to have 3 years, for the full certification you do. You have to send in paperwork showing you have been teaching and certified for 3 years.

6. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Aug 14, 2011

In my experience, most CA districts want you to do BTSA. I wasn't even aware you could clear your credential through Nat Board

7. bizzbeth125

bizzbeth125 Rookie

Aug 14, 2011

I taught in private schools while I earned my credential, so after this coming year I should have the three years experience required. I do believe that NBC clears your credential in CA, as many of my private school peers have said... but perhaps public schools require BTSA?

I appreciate all the input, keep it coming ;-)

8. KateL

KateL Habitué

Aug 14, 2011

9. bizzbeth125

bizzbeth125 Rookie

Aug 23, 2011

Oh KateL! Thanks! That post was super helpful! :)

10. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 23, 2011

But were you fully certified at this time? I believe you have to be fully certified.

For National Boards (other than take 1) you have to either 1) send in proof that you've been teaching for a public school/district for three years and therefore they can "sign off" that 1) you've been a teacher for three years, 2) have a degree in education and 3) hold current state certification for three years. Or you can send in 1) Proof of all the schools you've worked for 2) proof of certificate from the state 3) transcripts from college showing degree.

If you do not have all three things in once capacity or another I'd call 1-800-22-teach. (National Board Hotline). Also- do you have to certify or just go through the process? That is something to consider as well.

11. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 23, 2011

From NBPTS website

What are the three basic eligibility requirements for National Board Certification?
    A potential candidate must:
    Possess a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution.
    Have completed three years of successful teaching in one or more early childhood, elementary, middle, or secondary school(s). Note that applicants for ECYA/School Counseling must have completed three years successfully serving as a school counselor in one or more early childhood, elementary, middle, or secondary school(s) to meet the employment eligibility prerequisite.
    Hold a valid state teaching license (or meet the licensure requirements established by your state for a "school counselor" and hold that valid license if you applied for the ECYA/School Counseling certificate) for each of the three years of employment you verify. Employment under an intern or similar teaching license does not meet the licensure prerequisite.

Would teaching experience at a private school count towards the three years teaching requirement?
    Teaching experience from a private school is acceptable provided documentation is submitted that the private school was recognized and approved to operate by the state. A copy of the appropriate state license by your state (or by one of the recognized regional accrediting agencies if it is an institution outside of the United States) must be attached to the Candidate Workplace Verification Form.

Does student teaching or internship count towards the three years teaching requirement?
    No, time spent as a student teacher or intern may not be applied towards the three years teaching requirement. Each state has different requirements for their emergency credential. Often the emergency certification does not provide you with your state’s “Teaching License” free and clear. Candidates should be advised that their state requirements may not align to meet NBPTS requirements for candidacy due to time constraints associated with when your actual teaching is unencumbered. Candidates must document all eligibility requirements on the verification forms which will be shipped upon receipt of the $500 nonrefundable initial fee prior to submitting their application.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 24, 2011

I never heard of the NBC, but I wouln't qualify for that anyway since I haven't taught for 3 yrs. I have 2 prelim credentials that expire NEXT month, so the CCTC credential analyst said to just let them stay dormant & apply for an extension if I get a teaching job again. She said there's no penalty for doing that.

I've switched gears to another field though & have no intention of returning to teaching. So, if they expire eventually, then unfortunately, I guess they expire. That was a yr of student teaching, other classes, etc., but that's the way the ball bounces.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2011

Sounds like National Board Cert is out for now, bizz, since you don't meet all the requirements. Definitely work on clearing your credential...don't know how it works in Cali, but in my area, districts don't want to wait...the market is competitive and there are plenty of candidates who are cleared. You don't want to wait on your state credentialing bureaucracy to extend or clear you when you have potential jobs pending.