BTSA info

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by buffysays, Nov 10, 2008.

1. buffysays

buffysays New Member

Nov 10, 2008

I was wondering if someone could give me break down of the BTSA. I have will be receiving my preliminary credential in April '09 and I wanted to find out what I will need to do for the BTSA. Are there actual assignments that we have to do? Why can't they incorporate these assignments into our crendtial programs? I do the Cal State TEach program and I will have "student taught" in the classroom for 16 months by the time I graduate.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 10, 2008

Exactly what one needs to do for BTSA will vary from program to program; you'd need to put that question to program directors, I should think. BTSA exists, by the way, because people would go through the credential program, only to arrive in the classroom and crash and burn.

The Cal State TEACH program is sort of its own thing. Have you been asking these questions of the people who run it?

4. missalli

missalli Companion

Nov 10, 2008

Now, I couldn't stand BTSA, but that's mostly because there's a lot of paperwork involved. In theory, the idea is good: that your first two years of teaching you should have a mentor and regular meetings with other new teachers and their mentors to talk about how you're doing and what problems/successes you're dealing with and how to increase your proficiency in the CSTPs.

The 6 CSTPs are broken down into parts (a-g usually) and what I had to do over the course of 2 years was come up with 2 or 3 pieces of evidence showing my growth in each of the six areas. These could be examples of student work, the list of your class rules, pictures, parent communication logs, assessments, lesson plans, etc, and then we had to write a short reflection on how that piece of evidence shows growth.

If you're in the Bay Area, by any chance, I really recommend going to St Mary's College's Saturday Seminars. They're 7 (I think) Saturday classes over the course of the year that help you put your evidence/reflections together and you can also get professional development units at a discounted rate.

5. buffysays

buffysays New Member

Nov 10, 2008

I have asked in the past a didn't recieve a clear answer. I am sort of frustrated with my program and the lack of information that I am getting at the moment.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 10, 2008

Oh, that's a very unpleasant place to be. Hmm... what about asking around the districts to which you plan to apply for jobs? Or perhaps finding someone in your area who's in the throes of BTSA and taking that person out (in that person's nonexistent free time) for a nice cuppa with a side of brain-picking?

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 10, 2008

Uggh! I'm halfway through completing BTSA. I was told it was 2 yrs. I completed a yr in 2006-07 & still hv to do another yr. I have 2 credentials & they both expire in 2011, so I hv to finish by then. My BTSA supervisor was very informal, which made everything a breeze. When you get your credential document, it says what you have to do in the small print regarding BTSA. It's not the easiest to understand though, so call your state commission on teacher credentialing.

8. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Nov 10, 2008

The program you are in will have not control over the BTSA process you will go through. It is under the control of the district you will work for not the university you currently attend. The suggestion to contact the state credentialing department is a good idea. I was a entor for a year but I have forgotting most of the requirements, you need to attend a bunch of classes (they must be done after getting your original credential I think). You need to be observed and developed a buch of different goals and focuses.

9. Mabel Grex

Mabel Grex Rookie

Jul 12, 2010

Is it possible to do one year of BTSA and then not work for a year or two and then return to second year of BTSA? I'll have my preliminary credential next year, but a year after that we may have to move out of state temporarily.

10. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jul 12, 2010

Yes, that's possible as long as you clear your credential within 5 years. They don't care when you do the 2 years of BTSA, but they recommend you do it as soon as you can so you don't run out of time.