BTSA in one year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by joeschmoe, Sep 27, 2013.

1. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Sep 27, 2013

Has anyone done the BTSA program in one year? I'm opened to hearing about your experience or any knowledge on it.

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 27, 2013

I just got approved to do it. It's a little less work than what you would do in 2 years, but it's more intense because you're doing it in half time.
    So everything that would need to be done in the first year I have to do by December. There are some things we can skip, I think there are 3 inquiries and I only have to do 2.

4. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Sep 27, 2013

What is the approval step like? Are there more observations than the typical 2 per year by your mentor?

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 27, 2013

In my district, you can't just decide to do it in a year. You have to have experience - I think it's at least a year (or almost a year) of full time teaching experience as a long term sub or a teacher, maybe in a school that didn't have BTSA, for example. I would have done it if I could have, but I wasn't able to since my only experience was student teaching.

I'm not sure if this is a district requirement or a statewide requirement.

6. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Sep 27, 2013

Seems like a district requirement. It doesn't make sense to require experience when most people who take BTSA will be new teachers. My district has a policy that if you are new, you must take BTSA your first year. And I know of one person (not personally) who attempted it so it can't be a state requirement.

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 27, 2013

Maybe I didn't phrase it well. They don't require experience to go through BTSA; they require experience to do the fast track, one year program. I finished year one last year, my first year of teaching, and I'm currently in year two.

In this job market, there are LOTS of people who have experience long term subbing, working in charters or private schools that didn't have BTSA, etc etc. My district has the one year program as an option for them.

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 9, 2013

I just dropped off my binder today - which means I officially submitted my first year BTSA in, well basically 3 months. (Sept - December). It wasn't that much work, but I did spend a lot of time filling out all sorts of papers this weekend, basically all day Sunday. (I'm a procrastinator)

This is what it included (although I'm sure it varies by district)
    - a bunch of papers I had to fill out about the school, etc. (easy, most of it not very lengthy)
    - a class profile and a home communication for that one class. Not that bad once I got started on it. I don't think I did as much as I could have (with the communication) but I think it will be ok.
    - preassessment, student work of 3 focus students, reflection, and some more paperwork
    - 3 lessons, 2 of which were observed. Lesson plans, student work, reflection, observation notes from my provider
    - summative assessment, same type of work as preassessment

Then I had some more papers to fill out (5 pages) and a small book (!!) where I had to indicate where I am relating to the CSTPs. That was kinda of lengthy and not very important in my opinion.

That's it. Next semester, (which is 2nd year) I will have to do the same 3 lessons + preaassessment + post assessment, like the first time, except for I have to do 2 of of that set.
    I might get approved to do only 1, that would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

So it's doable. I will thank myself in May, because I will have my credential cleared :)

9. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Dec 9, 2013

My district also has a one year option, but it is only available to people who were wait-listed for BTSA previously. The district doesn't have enough support providers, so there is a waiting list. This is my third year in the district and I'm finishing up my 2nd year of BTSA.Honestly, my first year was hard enough, it's just as well I didn't have to deal with BTSA then.

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 10, 2013

From looking at my BTSA program, I don't know how they'd be able to pack that into a single year unless it's like Linguist said and it's a little bit shorter. I honestly don't think it's worth the stress. Most districts will transfer your year of BTSA to another district if that is your concern.

11. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Dec 10, 2013

In the district I did BTSA in, if you had experience, you just had to do one year (one year of paperwork, meetings and inquiry). No experience, you had to do two years (double all work).

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 10, 2013

I just got the email that I passed :)

the one year option is not quite twice the work. You have 2 inquiries / year, so that would be 4 in 2 years, but for 1 year, it's 2-3 inquiries. 1 inquiry is all the lessons, etc I described above (I did 1 inquiry since September)

for me it's worth the stress, because I'd rather do more work in 1 year, then drag it out for 2. either way it's work, so might as well do a little more.
    We can only do the year option if we have experience. I was lucky that they counted my LTS experience which was 9 months (pretty much 1 year), and it was a short contract. I had my own classroom, so I was really in charge and not just filling in for someone. My P had to sign off on it, too.

13. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Dec 12, 2013

I tried to do the one year thing but they fed me the same dealio about the one year option being only for teachers with experience. Meh. I didn't feel like fighting it so I'm on the two year plan. Can't believe I got 1.5 more year of this junk. Seriously BTSA blows. It's shoving a one-size fit all model down everyone's throat. Ironic considering we're not supposed to do that with our students. BTSA hasn't taught me anything that I don't already know or wasn't already doing. Except now I get to do a bunch of paperwork to prove I did those things.

14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 12, 2013

That pretty much sums it up.

It does go by faster than you expect. I only have a semester left now (YAY), and I can't wait to be done with it.

15. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 12, 2013

It does go by fast. I just found out today that I only have to do 1 inquiry for next semester (which is technically my 2nd year in 4 months). Normally you would do 2 inquiries in your second year.
    And this time I don't have to do a lot of the stuff I had now, like a bunch of paperwork about my school, about my class, students, local area, etc.
    I'm happy, it will be over soon.

16. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 13, 2013

Yeah, I'm doing the two year program, but because I stayed in the same school this year a lot of our first semester paperwork was excused. So that was nice.

I do wish I could have done the one year program, because now it would be done, but it's fine. Almost there.. :)