BTSA Extension - Has Anyone Needed It?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherWhoRuns, Dec 8, 2014.

1. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Dec 8, 2014

The directors of my district's BTSA program are constantly telling us that if we don't do everything on time and correctly, the county DOE is going to force us to get an extension at a cost of $700 to us personally. They mention this in every meeting and in every email communication. It's getting to a point where I want to start keeping track of the number of times they mention this, so I can point it out to them when I finish. BTSA is hard enough without this constant fear-mongering by people who are there to help us.

My question is...has anyone had to do this or know anyone who has had to do it? With the exception of extreme personal circumstances, I can't believe the county/state would really do this just because a form was filled out wrong or turned in late. It simply can not be this hard to get fully licensed in California.

3. AnnNorCal

AnnNorCal Rookie

Dec 9, 2014

Yep, I believe it! And yes, it is that hard to get fully certified! I find it ridiculous!!!

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 9, 2014

My BTSA mentee needed an extension! He procrastinated until the very end, though.

5. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Dec 9, 2014

It is. The title actually belies itself "Beginning Teacher Support...". In the practical sense, the program's primary effect is to pile more work &/or responsibilities onto an already overloaded individual.

6. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Dec 9, 2014

What? They never charged people for extensions in my county!!! They need multiple days and meetings to get all these graded anyway, so they should just schedule those with extensions last.

I have had to make slight changes to forms after submission. In my county, almost no one has their inquiry go through the first time around. We would riot if we had to pay because we needed to change 2 words on one page.

7. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Dec 9, 2014

I spent hours last week re-downloading, re-formatting, and re-uploading all my files for November because I *forgot to put my complete header at the top of my documents* (despite the fact that I am going to resubmit the exact same documents, just completed, for December [also despite the fact that I had them all turned in ten days early, but didn't get "feedback" until hours before the due date]).

And of course, the files all have to be reformatted as .rtf, because that works super well when you have all your files on Google drive on your school-provided Mac that does not have Word installed.

So that was a productive use of two-plus hours of my life.

And now I am on pins and needles waiting to hear if I have "met" the standards for November (aka: successfully filled out forms) and if I am still eligible for early completion since I have three years of private school experience before beginning BTSA.

I can think of a few other things the acronym could stand for but I will spare you all.

8. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Dec 14, 2014

Oh, I'm so irked right now. They just bounced back two of my CSTP templates saying that the professional growth I cited was not acceptable. It's difficult enough to have to put all this work into this, but when they send it back and say it isn't good enough, it's just disheartening.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 14, 2014

Oy, I know that feeling. Just use those SMART rules and possibly add 5% - 10% to what you previously cited.

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 15, 2014

I'm sorry you're going through this. Just wanted to let you know that it's not that bad across the state. My experience with BTSA was very smooth and helpful. My mentor did all of the formatting, typing, etc. into a prepared form online. All I did was answer her questions during the meeting. Maybe a reading here or there, but that was about it.

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 15, 2014

I think you're in the minority! It's a disaster in my county! :dizzy:

12. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Dec 15, 2014

I have all my BTSA docs due on the last day of the semester, along with finals and grades...luckily it's mostly just "final reflections" on what I learned this semester (aka repeating what I wrote throughout the docs plus a little extra BS). I am really paranoid that it won't be accepted and I'll have to do an extra semester. BUT I think that is just me being paranoid since all my docs have been accepted so far (except the ones where I forgot the header...).

13. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Dec 16, 2014

You were very lucky then. My mentor is great. She is very kind and helps as much as she can, but she doesn't really seem to have a great grasp of what exactly the DOE wants, and I don't think that's really her fault. I get the impression it changes constantly. The program director for my district is incredibly confusing. His emails go on and on, and in meetings he speaks the same way, going off on tangents and never getting back to his point. Then he blames the teachers for not doing things that he never told us to do, or that he tells us at the last minute.

It feels like this whole thing was started with good intentions to help new teachers out, but in the broad application, it became kind of a mess.