BTSA again...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AnnNorCal, Aug 23, 2014.

1. AnnNorCal

AnnNorCal Rookie

Aug 23, 2014

Any fellow BTSA teachers out there?

I just attended my first meeting and it sounds like it is going to be fun;)

In your program, do you get any days off to observe and do you get extra money for supplies?

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 23, 2014

I had 1 day off to observe and didn't get any money for supplies - I didn't need any supplies though.
    I did my BTSA in 1 year, so in 2 years you might get more days to observe. By the way my day of observation was almost a complete waste.

4. AnnNorCal

AnnNorCal Rookie

Aug 23, 2014

Thanks. I will also be doing it in one year. I think the 2nd year is actually the same as the first, if you do two years?

5. MissyB

MissyB Rookie

Aug 23, 2014

I'm still waiting for my school to get things set up for BSTA. We just finished our first week of school so I'm hoping I can start things soon...

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 24, 2014

A lot of it is the same, but you have to pick a different inquiry. I wish I had been given the option to do it in a year!

Personally, I hated BTSA. I did it through a terrible district. (I was at a charter under the district). But, my experience was hopefully not typical. It was super disorganized, and lots of busy work that just added more to my already very full plate. The good thing that came out of it is that I became very close to my colleagues who were going through the torture with me! :D

Observation days? No. Extra money for supplies... no way. lol.

7. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Aug 24, 2014

In year 1, you have 1 inquiry....in year 2, you have to do 2. I got 1 day off my first year...my school still had to pay for it. It was part of the mou they signed with btsa. Btsa did not provide funds for days off or supplies.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2014

I did BTSA way back in 2005, so I'm not sure how much has changed since then. When I did it, I was not given days off to observe, and I received $50 each year to spend on supplies through the county of education.
    Those of us who completed our second year were asked to attend a meeting in order to provide feedback. All of us said it was not helpful in that there was too many busy work, but we loved being given a mentor teacher to work with.

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 24, 2014

I guess they didn't listen to the feedback, because 9 years later it's still nonstop useless busy work!! :dizzy:

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 24, 2014

I enjoyed BTSA. Had great coaches, and it really made me think about my instruction. The coaches took care of most of the busy work for me, and just left me to plan. It overall, was not much extra work.

I didn't get any days off or any materials though.

11. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 24, 2014

Did you not have to fill out page after page of reflection questions? I felt like I was doing the TPAs all over again...

12. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 24, 2014

Not really. The BTSA coach did most of the typing, and we only really worked on it during our weekly sessions. She asked me questions, I answered, she typed. (it would probably have gone faster if I typed actually, she wasn't a very good typist) She walked me through the bits where we had to look up information on my special needs, and English learners.

I did have to type up a page reflection at the end of it, but honestly it was kind of fun. It was like journaling my reflection of the entire year in a single page. I wrote it in a monologue/blog post style. My BTSA coach said it was beautifully written and it looked like I had got everything out of the program that they hoped candidates would get out of it.

The biggest issue I had was recording student work. I didn't have a scanner so I had to take lots of photos and organize them into a document and attach them to the PDFs in a certain way with a certain naming convention. Apparently my phone will upload pictures in landscape or portrait depending on its mood, and so I had to go through and flip them all digitally.

13. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 24, 2014

I had the same thing. My BTSA Support Provider was excellent and made it very easy for me. I think one's experience doesn't depend on the district, it depends on the provider they get. I heard horror stories from fellow BTSA teachers that their providers didn't do anything, they made them do stuff the providers were supposed to do (fill out meeting logs, etc)

14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 24, 2014

Yeah mine definitely didn't do anything like that. We pretty much were on our own.

However, I think the district does make some difference. There were tons of issues with ours - their website being down, the correct forms not being where they were supposed to be, our login information not working and no one being able to get us logged into the site to get our stuff...most of the issues were because we were at a charter under this HUGE district and they really couldn't care less about us. It was frustrating.

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 24, 2014

BTSA = Two years of busy work (the way it was handled in my district, at least).

:rolleyes:

16. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Nov 18, 2014

I am so frustrated with BTSA right now. I'm not sure how the actual work to be done differs with each geographic area, but in my county, right now we have to do these CSTP templates focused on different teaching profession standards. We have to show two pieces of evidence that we're working on it, plus one more to show we're growing.
    For instance, "Reflects on teaching practice in support of student learning." Other than using forms I've already filled out for BTSA stuff, I'm stumped on how to show that I'm doing this, and then to further show that I've completed professional growth on it. There are eight of these things, all needing three pieces of proof and focused on different areas. That's 24 random pieces of minutia to account for. Some overlap, so that makes it even more difficult.
    I totally get the value of reflecting on your practice and coming up with ways to improve. What I don't get is having to write it down ad-nauseum while trying not to repeat yourself when you're essentially answering the same question over and over again.
    Then my BTSA coordinators (not my mentor, she's great) are continually threatening us with extensions and fines if things are not done on time and done right, but there's not a whole lot of detail when it comes to what they're really looking for.