BTS teacher 'trainings'

Discussion in 'General Education' started by czacza, Aug 30, 2015.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2015

My district goes back on Tuesday. In addition to a lovely welcome breakfast, we get a legal briefing from the district attorney :yawn:, plus we'll take online PD in HIB (NJ is a leader in harassment, intimidation and bullying law) and suicide prevention. Some teachers have bloodborne pathogens training as well. Most gets done in first day although we have a few werks to bet the online trainings completed!

In addition, we will have required dyslexia PD on another day later in school year. (plus as year progresses: SGO trainings, PARCC training...etc...)

What required yearly trainings do you have?

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 30, 2015

EVERYONE in our district has blood borne pathogens, and most have sexual harassment, bullying, NEOLA district policy, test security, fire prevention and action, ALICE and at least one more I can't remember.
    Ours is online, on our own time.

4. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 30, 2015

Yikes! That sounds rough. I don't think we have any specific in person training except on new technology that we're implementing (Google interface). We have to do GCN training every year which are online modules that take FOREVERRRRRRR but I just completed them last night so I don't have to worry about them over the school year. They're basically everything from sexual harassment in the workplace to blood borne pathogens to different student illness/IEP/confidential student information. There are 16 modules in total. I had to do them in my old district in another state, so I just assumed they're a federal requirement.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2015

Most of our training is now on-line modules that, this year, we'll be doing at our convenience before the end of September: Anaphylaxis, Slips, Trips and Falls, Emergency Procedures (Fire, Lockdown, etc), Workplace Harassment, On-line Safety/Protocols.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 30, 2015

We had a child abuse training, and it was very good. There was someone from the Sheriff's dept, but the main presenter was from the local children's hospital, and besides describing specific cases, he showed us a lot of pictures. I'm grateful that they "toned" the pictures down, but still, there were so many I couldn't look at.
    It was a very eye opening presentation, many things I didn't know before or never thought about.
    My district is alternative ed, and we have a bigger percentage of abused children than those in the comprehensive setting.

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 30, 2015

Suicide prevention, child maltreatment, bullying, and state history are on a rotating schedule. We have to have each once every four years. Yearly, we have the typical sexual harassment, workplace safety, test training, crisis training, etc.

8. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2015

Nothing is required in my district; there are 4 PD days before the kids arrive and all schools hold site-based PD for their teachers during that time. Exactly what is covered is up to Admin and every school I have been at has discussed different topics during this time. Also, our contract says that 2 out of those 4 days must be "time in our classrooms to prepare."

Some schools let their teachers attend the district-offered PD sessions that are content/curriculum specific and they might require teachers to go to these, especially if they are teaching a new curriculum. But, the state has no PD requirements.

9. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 30, 2015

We have a four hour opening meeting tomorrow, which will include principal vision for the year, plus unveiling whatever new initiatives she's springing on us. Tuesday, there's Diabetes training, epipen training, and a couple other medical trainings. Wednesday, I have two different half-day trainings. Thursday, we have a 3 hour grade-level CLT meeting, which we have to tape for administration. Friday is open house, and we are expected to have our rooms flawless and finished when we walk in the room on Friday.

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2015

This is exactly how ours is set up too. We have to watch online videos and then take little quizzes for most of the training mentioned here. I can't imagine having to sit through a class in person for that stuff!

For BTS the first half of the first day is district wide. The superintendent always makes a long speech and then this year we spent a couple of hours learning about the new online system that will house all special plans for students. The second half we go back to our own schools and hear about whatever new initiatives we're implementing. Usually we look at state testing data, but since we took PARCC, it's not even available yet this year. :dizzy:

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2015

No quiz for us, though, waterfall!

12. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Aug 30, 2015

We have blood borne pathogens every single year. I wish we could just test out of it. I practically have the videos memorized.

13. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 30, 2015

We only have one day. And some of that time needs to be for classroom preparation. It's whatever the P wants to do. And this year it better only be an hour or two of whatever because we can only get into the building for one day before teachers officially return to setup up our classrooms. And I don't know any elementary teacher that was able to fully setup their classroom in one day :eek::eek::eek:

14. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 30, 2015

Oh my gosh... and I was scared because I could only get into the building one day before teachers reported... but I at least have three half-days (and however long into the evenings...). Good luck to you!

15. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 30, 2015

We had all our mandated stuff online - mandated reporter, blood borne pathogens, and sexual harrassment. We had to take a quiz for the mandated reporter one.

We had 4 days before students and 3 of them (2 whole days and 2 half days) were actually set aside for us to work in our classrooms!

16. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 30, 2015

Thanks. It's just my building. All my other friends in the system get to start going in tomorrow while I have to wait til Friday. They wanted to open on Saturday :| but that was nixed and I wouldn't have gone in anyways.

I'm like whatever gets done, gets done, and there better not be a classroom walkthrough with admin hoping for high expectations. :whistle:

Mind you I have to move rooms, take things from 2 rooms and put it into my new one. While waiting for Teacher A to move their stuff, who have to clean out the room they are moving into probably before they get their stuff, because Teacher B in that room has to move stuff up to their new room. I don't even know who is going into my old room, but I honestly don't care as long as I get my supplies and personal stuff, they can have fun cleaning or doing whatever to that room. :mad: