BS in Sec. Ed. or just get non-degree cert.??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by inspireNteach, Jul 14, 2013.

1. inspireNteach

inspireNteach Rookie

Jul 14, 2013

I have a BS in Journalism and would love to teach high school English or even middle grades ELA.
    Though I graduated in 2007, I have succumbed to the fact that I will need to go back to school in order to get a job (even a para job, apparently)

So which degree would be more worth my while? Given the current market?

Should I start all over and get a bachelor's? (I've decided against a MAT since it would make it harder for me to find a job because schools would have to pay me more)

Or should I go through a non-degree certification program? Though it may be tough initially, I could land a job and then work on my MAT while I work.

Any advice??

3. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jul 14, 2013

In GA you don't need a college degree to be a para. You only have to pass the GACE paraprofessional assessment. Many schools will wave that if you have an actual teacher certification but since you don't you need to take that test.

Personally I would go for the Masters in teaching so that you do get paid more. The job market is tough and you may have to consider moving outside of the metro ATL area if you want to work. Look in the rural southern/northern counties. Cobb, Cherokee, Gwinnett, Dekalb, ect are having hundreds of teachers apply to every job. Some of these more rural places may have like 5-6 so your odds are much better.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 14, 2013

Most para jobs don't require an education degree or teaching certification. Most just require a minimum number of college credits and passing an exam, as Mr.history pointed out.

I would NOT get a second bachelor's. I know two people that have gone that route, and both regret it. Both say they wish they would've just gone for the master's. Personally, I would go ahead and get the master's. However, if you're concerned about that, find a master's level program that allows you to earn teacher certification before earning the master's degree. Then, finish up the program while you're in your first year teaching.

5. inspireNteach

inspireNteach Rookie

Jul 14, 2013

Yeah, I think you can also be waived from the GACE para if you have an associate's or higher. I've kinda thrown in the towel with the para since there are candidates out there who are way more experienced and way more qualified than me. I figure getting a degree will give the experience and education I need to have a fighting chance to eventually be a teacher.

All the research I've been doing has spoken against the MAT because it would be harder to get hired. It's the option I really prefer, not for the money, but because I would be done with the program so much sooner than if I go with another bachelor's.

I really don't mind moving, but I don't want to run across the same problems with the MAT option -- principals not hiring me because I "cost more."

*sigh* It's such a hard decision :(

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2013

You'll cost more with a second BA as well, at least in most districts. Get the MAT.

7. catlover

catlover Rookie

Jul 16, 2013

Here's an option you didn't mention:

Here in Texas we have alternative certification routes that use "clinical teaching" -- which is basically student teaching. You can get certified in about a year without having to do that grueling internship thing, if you can afford to be unemployed during the 1-semester clinical teaching period. Personally, I believe this route produces teachers that are more prepared, and principals seem to prefer it too.

Not all of our ACP providers offer this option. The ones that do and that I know about are the ACPs run by our system of Education Service Centers (state-run agencies).

The ESC for the region I'm in (Region 4) offers an alternative certification program that includes 4 months of pre-service coursework (which you can do online) and then a 12-week clinical teaching assignment.

So you could even stay in Georgia while doing the online coursework, and then move to Texas to do basically a semester of student teaching, at the end of which, you should be certified.

8. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jul 16, 2013

I agree about checking into alt. certification. Not sure about GA, but in FL a BS degree can get you a temporary certificate. Then, course work and some more testing and you can get a prof. cert. (no student teaching was required.) I know teachers who did it this way. I haven't heard about it recently, but this was possible. It is worth at least checking it out. Good luck!

9. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jul 16, 2013

I would just do the certificate program and not go through another baccalaureate program. I have a grad certificate in middle grades education after getting my B.A. in History in 2007. I immediately transitioned into a MAT after getting my initial certification last December. I was always told too that the MAT would mean more pay here in NC, but I have a colleague who has the MAT and he is not compensated as a Master's prepared teacher, gets the same pay I do.

10. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jul 16, 2013

This is exactly what I did, and it was definitely the better of all my choices.