Brownies in a Jar

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TampaTeacher, Dec 21, 2008.

1. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Dec 21, 2008

Great gift idea! One of my kids gave me one of those mason jars filled with the dry ingredients for brownies. There are layers of sugar, cocoa, marshmallows, etc. I've seen similar jars full of cookie, muffin or cake ingredients. The recipient just has to add eggs, butter, vanilla, and/or oil, then mix and bake.

His was store bought, but I was thinking maybe my class could make something like that for Mother's Day gifts, or as holiday gifts next December.

Has anyone done this? Was it expensive to do? Does anybody have advice or recipes?

Thanks! :)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2008

4. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2008

I have done it before and it has always been a big hit with my children's teachers. Watch in the summer for mason jars to go on sale because this is a big expense on these gifts.

5. alielizadubois

alielizadubois Companion

Dec 21, 2008

6. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Dec 21, 2008

Books Are Fun also sells a recipe book for this idea!

7. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Dec 21, 2008

Thanks, you all! I can't believe how many recipes there are on that razzledazzle page.

Even if these jars end up being too expensive for my students to make, I think I'll make them for family members next Christmas.

8. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Dec 21, 2008

We made them!

My fifth grade team just made them...we asked for $3.50 and we had plenty of money.
    The jars were $10.49 for 12...they came out great! I will do this again.

9. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 21, 2008

Yes, we have made them often. I would suggest that you look for your mason jars at goodwill and in volunteers basements. My families were great at donating them, and we found a ton at the early yard/estate sales as well as thrift stores. The whole lot of jars was found that way, we only had to buy the seal things for the top. A different year (we were using up the extra jars) we put pancakes in the jar and didn't even worry about the seal thing-just put the fabric there. Worked just as well. So, good luck.

10. Kat03785

Kat03785 Rookie

Dec 22, 2008

I made them one year for friends but they were chocolate chip cookies instead of brownies. They were a hit! I think it would be great for kids to do to practice measurement. Asking for money from kids for supplies would definitely help. It can get expensive.

11. Just_Beginning2

Just_Beginning2 Rookie

Dec 22, 2008

We did these this year as well... we did a Pea an vegetable soup and labeled the recipe "Peas on Earth". We also made the chocolate chip pancake one and put that with a whisk and a tag that read "We whisk you a merry christmas" They were very cute

12. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2008

I got one as a gift, but I've already re-gifted it.:blush: