Brown bag lunch ideas needed!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by snickydog, Jan 3, 2009.

1. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jan 3, 2009

My New Years resolution is to pack more filling, nutritious lunches (I normally just eat trail mix or something) during the work week. We only have 20 minutes for lunch, so anything heated for more than a minute or two is usually out of the question.

Any ideas for good meals to pack aside from leftovers?

3. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Jan 3, 2009

I like to make wraps and take them for lunch. I get the whole wheat or multi-grain tortillas, spread a little cream cheese on it - and then add my favorite lunch meat and a slice of cheese. It's usually turkey and pepperjack, but I'll mix it up from time to time! If I have a wrap and a yogurt with my bottle of water - I'm good to go! :)

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2009

Do you have a fridge? Sometimes I made a big bowl of pasta salad and eat off that for the week. I have a few recipes I like - I will try to find them...

5. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2009

I don't have lunch at school; I'm done by then...but I've seen lots of teachers bringing in those "diet" frozen meals; they sure smell good and look great when you're hungry! :D

And I've noticed many bringing last night's leftovers.

Don't forget those hardboiled eggs! Yummy; tastes great w/spinach leaves.
    How about soup...make a big batch and freeze in one serving dishes.

6. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jan 3, 2009

lite Yogurt, hardboiled eggs, lite babybel cheese, cut up veggies are usually in my lunch bag. I do like greek yogurt as well.
    I will make a tuna salad and bring in some rye crackers to have with them. Peanut butter on rice cakes are another favorite of mine. I am not a big bread eater.

7. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Jan 3, 2009

20 min??? Why is your lunch so short?

Every now and then, I buy the big container of already prepped salad from Costco. I keep it refrigerated at school and eat that for the whole week. I love their spinach salad.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 3, 2009

I like do do the wraps with cream cheese and jelly too or peanut butter and a banana in the middle for a change up. For cold weather the soup and hand from Campbell's is good and is inconspicuous in a cup if you run out of time to eat. I take leftovers 1-2 times a week too. If you like to take salads invest in small tupperware (or Glad containers) to put the dressing in to keep the salad from going limp. I also sometimes take a mini-appetizer platter with some lunch meat, cheese, crackers, cherry tomatoes, carrots, and grapes (substitute other veggies and fruit to what you like).

9. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Jan 3, 2009

I pack my lunch everyday. Usually I just include last night's leftovers. However, my mom and I are both teachers, and since I still live at home, usually on Sunday we try to prepare lunches for the week. We may make a big batch of chicken salad or tuna salad and put in individual servings. We put vegetables in baggies with individual servings of dip. Basically, we just try to have everything already put into individual servings so that all we have to do is grab and go.

Typical foods we put in our lunch: chicken salad, sandwiches on crossaints (sp), turkey rolls, soup, yogurt, potato salad, veggies, vegetable soup, potato soup, nachos, chips and salsa, etc.

I would love to hear other ideas

10. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Jan 3, 2009

Btw, I am glad to see that someone else only has 20 minutes of lunch. We also have to walk our students to the lunchroom and back. Basically I have about 10 minutes to eat!

11. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Jan 3, 2009

I just don't understand how lunch can be only 20 minutes long. So do the kids only get 20 minutes to eat as well? and no lunch recess?

12. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 3, 2009

I bring soup a lot but I am going to start mixing it up and make some good salads.

Re: lunch being 20 minutes- if I have recess duty my 30 minute lunch quickly dwindles to 20 minutes. By the time I get my kids to the lunch room and back to my room, 5 minutes are gone. Then I have to finish eating with 5 minutes to spare so I can get down to the lunch room to be ready to take the kids out to recess. It is more relaxing on lunch duty because I get the full 30 minutes afterwards while the kids are at recess with the other teachers.

13. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Jan 3, 2009

No, we don't have recess lunch. Our lunch is at 10:45 (yes, in 4th grade), and we come right back to the classroom for reading/writing/language arts)

14. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jan 3, 2009

Ahh! Same here! The kids eat at 11:10. We walk them to the lunch room, then can have our lunches, then we have to pick them up at 11:30.

So yeah, a few minutes there, a few minutes back - far less than actually having the 20 minutes to eat.

I love my school, but I'd work later to get my kids a longer lunch and recess.

(Yep, there is NO RECESS!!!! :eek:

And gym only once a week for 40 minutes.

No wonder there is an obesity epidemic!!!)

15. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Jan 3, 2009

Well, I sure hope they get served their lunches quickly. Our lunch is 45 minutes long, but sometimes it'll take 10 minutes or longer for my students to get their lunches.

16. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Jan 3, 2009

No unfortunately in our school we have to wait at least 7-8 minutes as well. This is one of the major reasons I ring my lunch. I can at least eat while my students are waiting in line. I have to do an afternoon snack with my kids because they are starving by the end of the day! They bring their own snack.

17. Sunny Teacher

Sunny Teacher Rookie

Jan 4, 2009

A baked potato with some yummy toppings.

18. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jan 4, 2009

i do a frozen lunch, but I also like salad, leftovers, or a peanut butter bagel mmm yum! yogurt, or oatmeal also.

19. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jan 4, 2009

My mission this year...

I just bought stuff for my mini fridge, and I will be eating yogurt, crackers with string cheese, V-8 juice and pbj(or other sandwiches). I try to avoid anything that needs to be microwaved because I eat in the cafeteria and not in the staff lounge. We have 30 minutes, but after the walk and getting settled, I do not have time to make the long walk up front.
    I do salads, too.

20. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Jan 4, 2009

Wow...I feel lucky that I'm given enough time to enjoy my lunch every day....and sometimes, I even have time left to prepare for the aftertoon.

21. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jan 5, 2009

20 minutes?! Man, that sucks...My lunch break is an hour and a half because my conference period is the lunch period, so I have both 45 minute lunches off.

have you tried www.hungrygirl.com ? I'm not very good at cooking but they have really easy to prepare recipes that you can prep the night before.

22. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 5, 2009

This is my goal as well. I am doing a wrap tomorrow, and blowing it on Tue, Wed, and Thur because of a workshop with YUMMY lunches :p!

But I plan on soup and salad, wraps, meat and cheese, tuna, etc.