Broward county openings

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by mommaruthie, May 20, 2004.

1. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

May 20, 2004

I know, check the vacancies... Just hoping that someone in a broward school knows of a true vacancy....

Sandi email me if you know if your school has a TRUE vacancy
    I would love to get in somewhere WEST of University and Hopefully not North of Sunrise. Keep me posted. Maybe I will do the leap from charter for the FALL!
    ruth

3. sandimreyes

sandimreyes Comrade

May 21, 2004

Last time I checked, we needed 4 new teachers, but we are receiving at least 1 on surplus. I'm not sure where we stand now or what grades he's hiring for, but I will grill him today and let you know whether or not there is a true vacancy that he will accept resumes for and what grades he needs. He's really good about listening to the teachers opinions, so...

4. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

May 24, 2004

Is it true that in FL you have to wait 3 years before requesting a transfer? (Or true in Dade/Broward)? Do they ever make exceptions? What if I hate my school????

5. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

May 24, 2004

I teach in Polk County, FL--I've never heard of having a 3 year waiting period?

6. Margo

Margo Devotee

May 24, 2004

Osceola County has no waiting period either.

7. sandimreyes

sandimreyes Comrade

May 24, 2004

Because I've never thought of requesting a transfer, I really don't know. Here is what I THINK to be true. You are on annual contract for the first 3 years, which means that each year the school decides whether or not to hire you back. I would think that it also means that each year you can decide whether or not you want to continue at that school or interview at another one and accept a different job.

After 3 years, you are on continual contract, which means that you automatically have a job year after year. At that point, if you want to leave your school, you would request a transfer. When you request a transfer, you have to list more than one school and those schools must have openings and interview you and offer you the job. The schools are not allowed to fill the position you are interested with someone else until you have accepted another position elsewhere.

After a long long time, (not sure how long it takes), you can reach a point where your transfer is guaranteed because of seniority.

8. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

May 25, 2004

Thanks- I hope you all are right. Here in my county in MD, you must complete 2 years before requesting a transfer. That's because it's an urban county and new teachers always get stuck in the worst of the worst schools. They need warm bodies in those schools so badly they will delay a teacher's right to leave them for as long as possible. I can manage 2 years, but three? I hope I misunderstood Dade's policy...

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

May 25, 2004

no 3 year wait

In Broward you submit your name with three schools of your choice for transfer and if they have openings, whalla, you get transferred. (oh, it is best to have some previous knowledge of the school)