Broken projector…venting

Discussion in 'General Education' started by princessbloom, Oct 7, 2014.

1. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Oct 7, 2014

I'm in a private school and posted a few weeks ago that for the first time (coming from public) I didn't have a doc cam. You all gave me some great suggestions of just taking a pic of something and projecting it on to my board to write on. Well, after doing that and loving it….my projector is now broken. How you ask?
    A student who was doing something they weren't supposed to be doing with their chair, lifted their chair and knocked it over. The projector bounced on the ground and now it won't work.

I told my P and she said it was an accident that we can't help. Problem is that I had the last projector in the school and there's no more to spare. I plan all my lessons around showing videos, displaying images of things we are talking about in class (like a world map during our SS lesson, or a picture of a particular plant/animal in Science, etc). I have a PPT every morning of their morning work that flips through slides of the agenda for the day. Some of the morning work are comprehension comic strips. Sigh.
    Today I had to have them huddle around my computer to show a brain pop video. It was crammed.

I'm so upset. I'm angry at this kid who seems to have no remorse whatsoever. P advised me not to say anything to the parent, who works at the school.
    I probably won't get another projector this year because they don't have the money.

I'M ANGRY. I'M BUMMED. I'm saddened to think I have to go the rest of the year without a projector.

This week I had a whole lesson planned of reading "The Tortoise and the Hare" to have the students draw conclusions. Then I was going to show a short video of the story to compare/contrast the two.

Anyway, I'm just rambling at this point. :(
    YES, I'm reliant on my projector. Forget the doc cam! I just want my projector back!

End vent. :sorry:

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 7, 2014

Can you have them working on individual computers with headphones? I've had to do that in the past.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 7, 2014

That sucks. I thought might was broken this morning but it ended up coming on and staying on. Fingers crossed that it works tomorrow.

Not sure why you can't address this with the parent if the child was misbehaving.

5. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Oct 7, 2014

We only have 2 (slow, old) computers in the classroom and they don't all get to them each day.
    Our computers are donated ones from the county that they are getting rid of. They're 11-13 years old. :/
    I mean they work and are better than nothing...

6. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Oct 7, 2014

I hope it will magically begin to work!
    I tried different cables, thinking it was my splitter or video cable but neither worked.

It's an HP projector that is continually "searching" for s-video, composite video or video. Nothing else. I googled it and couldn't find anything that shows what's going on when continuously searching without being able to find a source.
    Our tech person is very sweet, but….well, doesn't seem to know a whole lot…
    I had to purchase my own power strip for my classroom computer! HA. …but that's a bit off subject….

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 7, 2014

Even if something is an accident, I expect restitution. If it is international, I expect restitution AND punishment.

8. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Oct 7, 2014

Agreed 100%…but I don't want to get into trouble now for saying something since P said not to.
    The student never apologized!
    I mean, I teach 2nd grade but my kids are pretty polite and it just surprises me that there's been no remorse. My kids kept questioning today why I wasn't using the projector and I just said "it's broken…."
    I practically have it on all day so things were a little out of sorts today with my kids.

9. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 7, 2014

The projector is turning on and it is projecting, which is a good sign. Since if the bulb were broken or something else were wrong, then you'd have a big issue. It sounds like you just need to do some troubleshooting - get the model # of the projector and i'll try to find some stuff to try to help.

10. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Oct 7, 2014

You are so sweet! Will do. I can't remember what it is at the moment but I will get back to you if that's okay! :D

11. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Oct 7, 2014

Just remembered! (WOW)
    HP VP6111

12. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 7, 2014

That's odd that your P says not to mention anything. That's not really appropriate, just because the person works there. I teach a student who is the daughter of one of the other teachers, and I don't think she would appreciate me treating her any different than other students.

I would write a letter to the parent explaining what happened, just to inform her. And let her decide what to do from there.

This is a case that makes me think about buying my own projector in case of emergencies. Just a cheapy one from Amazon like this one: http://www.amazon.com/UC28-Home-Pro...300334_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1412723074&sr=1-4

Otherwise, think about moving to transparencies?

13. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 7, 2014

I'm not saying you should buy your own projector, but you can find some very cheap. I'm like you, I feel that I couldn't teach (or it would be hard and inconvenient for me and the students) so I would buy one myself. I actually bought one for $50 from Craigslist, and I hook it up to my tv, laptop or dvd player at home, and watch everything on the wall, in 8 feet x 8 feet.

14. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Oct 7, 2014

I looked at this one on Amazon, but it seems it only works with a USB. If I could find one that went into my monitor so I could display what's on my computer for this same price, I'd consider buying.

15. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 7, 2014

Can you borrow another teacher's projector once or twice a week? At the private school where I worked there was one projector that was shared between all the teachers (and we only got that one my third year at the school). I heavily relied on projecting stuff, but when I went to that school I just figured out how to make do without.

16. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 7, 2014

My projector broke last year, and I made it a high priority to get one. I showed sales of projectors and how much $$$ we could save with the newer projectors where the bulbs are less than 1/2 the price of current bulbs and last over twice as long. Finally my P gave an incredible presentation. I complimented him on his presentation and then said wouldn't it have been horrible if all those parents missed out on that presentation if the projector didn't work. He smiled and said he got the not so subtle hint. Eventually, some $$$ came in, and my P allowed me to get a projector. This whole process took less than a month. So being persuasive to the P is one option. Others are to see if you can get some $$$ donated or post on donors choose website, have a fundraiser etc. A good projector is only $400 to $550 new and not on sale. If you look hard enough, you may find even a better deal than that.

Also, some schools get rid of some older projectors to move to fancier models. Check around. Not sure if this will be easy, but I think it is very possible.

17. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 7, 2014

Oh no! :(

I know you can't do Donors Choose because you're at a private school, but what about Adopt A Classroom or something like that? At my school (charter, not private), if I posted something like this online and then shared the information with parents, it's pretty likely that families would donate to cover the cost of the projector. Are you allowed to request donations of families?

18. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 8, 2014

You don't want a home theater projector - they are designed to work in very dark rooms. You want one with a high lumen count (2000-3000)

First, here's the manual.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpia6019.pdf

Page 28.

Also page 18. Have you tried the source selection buttons to set it to VGA (which I assume your monitor is using)

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 8, 2014

Absolutely not.

The principal has already directly instructed the OP not to say anything to the parent. If the OP does as you suggest here, that is an action in direct violation of an administrative directive. In my district that's a terminable offense.

20. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2014

My projector died the third week of school. My principal right away looked at it, and called someone about it. They took it down and took it in to repair it and told me I should have it back in a week or so. That was 6 weeks ago.

Turns out, 3M doesn't make projectors anymore, so it's difficult to get parts to repair them...

I have an old laptop hooked up to an old projector on a cart, but the configuration of my room makes that incredibly difficult to use. I can't hook my teacher laptop up to it because my laptop only has an hdmi connection. I can't use it with my interactive whiteboard because the laptop is too old and slow. I can use my document camera, but it takes so long to set up that it's rarely worth it.

It really threw me for a loop, not because I can't teach without it, but because most of my materials and lessons are already set up to teach with it. Having to recreate everything every day has been a real pain!

21. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 8, 2014

3M still makes projectors.

Just not very heavy duty ones.

22. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2014

Then they don't make the same line of projectors anymore...

Either way, they can't get the part easily.

23. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 8, 2014

They might have luck if they contact audio visual companies in the area - they might have some old projectors they need to get rid of. The company my father works for likes to get rid of projectors after about 12 months of use due to increasing client demand, so they will either sell them to employees at cost or donate them.

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 8, 2014

I probably would have called/talked to the parent right when it happened so even if the principal said don't mention it I would have said I already had. What if another student (or THAT student) was injured when the behaviors were going on? Would the principal also say don't mention it to them? Sorry this happened to you...I would be venting also :(