Broke down :(

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Peachyness, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 25, 2007

I don't know why, but I cried today. Well, I DO know why, but it's not something that I should have cried about.

Warning: Vent about to come

I'm just so sick and tired of my students who are constantly rude to me or to their classmates. I have students who constantly talk, argue with each other, say rude things to each other, etc. Today, we came back from lunch and I normally read them a book. Well, this one boy, who is normally in another class but it was cancled was in my room. I was reading and heard a rustling noise. I looked up and saw him with his drawing notebook out. I looked at him and waited for him to put it away. I waited and he just sat there and stared at me. Another student next to him said, you need to put that away. The boy then looked at me and VERY rudely said, "What I can't look at my drawings!?" I calmly said, we are waiting. He shoved the book into his desk, making faces. Luckily for him, his other teacher called and said that he could go ahead and come to her. I wrote him up, but I was just SO annoyed. This plus my students who wouldn't stop interrupting me after this incident with the boy... I just felt awful.

I've talked to them so many times about being polite, disrepect and so on and so on. I'm feel like a broken record and I'm sick and tired of it. They are rude and there's nothing I can do to fix it.

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 25, 2007

I understand it is the rule in your class they have to listen. ANd it was very rude of the kid.

But have you thought about letting them draw while you read? I did that last year it and it worked out great. I would ask them question to make sure they had listened. And they did.

4. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Oct 25, 2007

I completely understand how you feel. Last year, my kids were the same way and I was so upset. To be honest, I think that a lot of 5th graders are just rude. I think it is because they are at that point in their growth where they really only think about themselves. I have many rude children and I hate it. I have had the talks with them but it is not working. I don't think they are trying to be mean but they just say what they think.

Try and hang in there I hope it gets better:)

5. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Oct 25, 2007

Peachy,

I am so sorry to hear about your day. I know it can be difficult, however, I know you are doing so much in your room to maintain a positive environment. I have experienced situations with some students where they have been disrespectful as well. It's definitely a change coming from kindergarten where they gave you hugs every day. I know things will get better. Take care.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 27, 2007

The same things have happened to me lately. A hole was punched through TWENTY pages of one of my books, and nobody admitted to it. I see things on the floor and have to plead for some kids to clean up (not all). After having talks about physical contact, I saw blatant shoving at recess after our field trip yesterday. I caught them FAST and sat the three of them out. But I was holding it in because one of them has never done ANYTHING in school. Then one went and crayoned another kid. When I come in Monday, I bet I'll think... so who remembers how much time I have devoted to talking about growing up and trying their best in school?

Also, Wednesday for my class was hard. I saw the eye rolling and heard tones of voice I never want to hear again.... so.....

I feel for you. I have not done anything differently than in the past. Sometimes I feel like other teachers do not have problems, but I KNOW that is not true.

Yet coming down to the bottom line... don't bribe them. Don't act like you're going through your options and failing with them. Be firm and praise those doing the right thing.

7. MrPencil

MrPencil Rookie

Oct 30, 2007

I totally hear where you are coming from. My kids argue with eachother everyday and interrupt me all the time. They are extremly rude and don't understand that. They care only about themselves and don't mind being rude to their teachers or their classmates. I honestly think about changing careers because I have had it with these kids. It's too frustrating for me.

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2007

We are all in this together.... it is just amazing to me how no matter where we come from.... we all experience the same sort of problems..... I still say, it's the parents who need to teach manners and model respect. If they don't we end up with rude kids.... but I won' t even get started ...:whistle:

9. matchstickgirl

matchstickgirl Companion

Nov 1, 2007

I know what you mean about being rude. I look at the older students in my school (6-8) and wonder what the heck happened?

Personally I loved the 55 Essentials and would recommend that because it gave me so much hope with my kids.

In my class everytime the door is held open for them THEY MUST SAY THANK YOU to that person. When they recieve a paper from someone or me they must SAY THANK YOU or they do not get that paper. If someone sneezes they are to say bless you. They must say excuse me if someone is in the way, not push through. If a student misses something while we are correcting sentences, they all say NICE TRY. There is no groaning or getting frustrated.

We have been working on these things all year so far, and they are really starting to get it. In my class we have a money system, so if there is no thank you said, they are to pay for it. If they do not get a paper because of no thank you, then its twenty dollars. I also did a lot of role playing with them one day showing different scenarios and havin them show what they should do and say. It's honestly made a difference. They are all getting so much more polite, and I have had a lot of compliments from others about it. There is still room for improvement, but it seems to have made my kids so much more polite. Maybe I am just lucky with the kids I have gotten however.. ;)

10. snickers

snickers Rookie

Nov 2, 2007

I completely agree with all of you. I think so much of it is their age and we have to be patient and not drive ourselves nuts. I try to look at my 5th graders as I would my own kids at home. When my kids at home drive me nuts, I still love them, I just think of it as a teaching opportunity to make them become better people. I think we have to look at our 5th graders the same way. We have to remain positive and know that we're teaching them to become better people. They definitely need the positive vibes and the consequences also...I'm just saying that we can't take it personally. I taught Kindergarten for the past 5 years also and the 5th graders are very different. I remember the first months of Kindergarten were hard also.

11. desari

desari Rookie

Nov 2, 2007

*sigh* unfortunately it is the sign of the age. My daughter gets like that. However she knows all to well that should she act like that at school and either her father and/or I hear about it she will have us to deal with. I am just so sad that parents are not more like that. They truly need to have that frame of mind of "my child IS capable of doing that whether it be something good or bad". My child always tries to tell me that she was just frustrated and I teach her that there are much better ways of addressing the frustration than giving atitude. I will be the first to admit that i do nto tolerate behavior like that and for a long time when I was running working at a particular school it was either me they dealt with or the director cause it was known one of was gonna set the student straight.
    LOL my services are here for you if you need them. LOL
    Have you read the book called "The First Days of School" by Harry Wong. It too has a lot of great classroom management tips. I need to invest the 55 essentials. I saw the made for TV movie. That guy did great.

12. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2007

I had one of those days- Today!

13. Tinsley81

Tinsley81 Rookie

Nov 11, 2007

YES to the Essential 55 by Ron Clark. I had a big issue of complaining about EVERYTHING (From homework, to even fun things like "we're going to play a game for the last 5 min." They complained about the choice of game!). I started using the 55 rules (I narrowed it down to 50, there were some that didn't apply to the kids). I went over about 5 per day, writing them on a big chart paper. We are focusing on the first 20 right now, taking time to practice them. They know now that if they do not say Thank you in the first 3 seconds, any rewards will be taken away. They do not complain, or they get extra work or *gasp* yes, I will take away fun things, like a game at the last 5 min of class and they can sit and do a boring worksheet instead. Doing these things once will make a lasting impression. Another rule I like is to do a random act of kindness every day. The kids really got into it and like telling me "OOh, I did a random act today, I...". They see I'm proud and it makes them try harder each day.
    I think the more you feel like a family, the easier classroom management becomes.

Good luck, I feel for you!!!
    (Also, try to read some inspirational teacher-y stuff, like Educating Esme, Freedom Writer's Diary, Elaine's Circle. I know they always get me out of a rut!)

14. KLP1220

KLP1220 Rookie

Nov 17, 2007

I love the Essential 55 by Ron Clark...I was especially surprised to find out that he was a graduate of the same university that I attend.

15. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Nov 18, 2007

How are things going now, Peachyness?

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 18, 2007

Well, nothing's much changed with this student. He's hit another one of my students, talked back to his reource teacher, kicked out of his resource class for disrespect and rudeness... yet, nothing's been done. Principal said that if he was disrespectful one more time, that he will be sent home, but that hasn't happened yet. I don't want him to be sent home, but he needs to understand that that sort of behavior will not be tolerated at school. Anyways, I'm going to start a new behavior plan using tickets when we get back from thanksgiving break. So, we'll see how that goes. Gernally, he's not much of a problem to me. It's mainly with his resource teacher and the other students in my class. I'm just taking it one day at a time.

Thanks for asking. :hugs: