Broke a teacher's I-pad. My fault??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by burgandy01, Aug 14, 2015.

1. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 14, 2015

Today a teacher and I were happily chatting, when she invited me to see her classroom. As I was walking around admiring her bookshelf, I stumbled on some blocks on the carpet. We both looked down, and I had also stepped on her i-pad----which cracked pretty bad on the corner.
    She's visibly upset (but not rude) and says "It's the one on loan from school". Of course I feel bad and profusely apologized. I told her that I will accompany her to the Principal's office and explain exactly what happened come Monday.

but.....

1) Why didn't she have it in a protector?

2) And mostly, her i-pad should not have been put on the floor.

Is it my fault??? Should I offer to pay half? Money is tight :-(

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 14, 2015

Why is an iPad on the FLOOR?! :mad: Unfortunately, since you actually broke it, it's mainly your fault I guess (in their eyes). You should both split the cost IMO since it's 1/2 her fault for having it on the floor, but who knows if she'll admit to that in the office.

4. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Aug 14, 2015

I'd be pretty disappointed in my school if they tried to charge one of us for the ipad, considering how much money they waste on stuff every year. But, if they do, I do think you're at least 50% responsible.

5. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 14, 2015

Ugh...well the good thing is it still works. Hopefully we can just replace the glass. I guess I'll offer to pay 50%.

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 14, 2015

If it were me, I'd offer to pay part, but not half. In my eyes the majority of the blame is with her for having it on the floor.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2015

Shouldn't have been on the floor, so I definitely wouldn't pay more than half.
    A student broke my school iPad screen back in May and I was responsible for it. (Reason # 159,395,285,305 that I quit that school. We signed contracts when they are given to us stating we are responsible. Student was mad and swiped everything off of my desk and it not just fell of my desk, but stuff fell on top of it, too.) It was about $180 to fix because the processor was damaged, too. It is about $120 if it is just the screen. Just to give you a ballpark idea. (I called like 10 places for the best deal.)

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 15, 2015

The more I hear about what you experienced last year, the more I believe you could write a book! :(

9. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 15, 2015

Great info.....Thanks!

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2015

The school probably Has insurance on it. It was an accident. Accidents happen. Questioning why the teacher was using the iPad on the floor is not productive (and won't reflect well on you as a candidate) She was probably checking email or Pinterest or whatever while working on organizing the block center or leveling her class library on the floor. We all do it and there's nothing wrong with working on the floor...Own up to your mistake by offering to pay for repair if the school doesn't have a replacement plan. Doing so will gain you goodwill in the minds of admin.

11. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 15, 2015

Isn't a selling point of an iPad is that a person can work on it almost anywhere ... like, on the floor?

If I were the one who stepped on it, I'd offer to pay for the entire cost of repair.

12. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 16, 2015

I am with KU alum, I think it is your place to pay for it.

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2015

I agree.

14. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 16, 2015

Hopefully the school has an insurance policy. If not though, I'd offer to pay for it. i pads are meant to be used anywhere, including the floor. I've seen them on the floor in classrooms many times. If the other teacher doesn't think you're responsible, she won't accept your money...but you should at least offer.

15. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2015

ICAM. If the OP admits she broke it, then she should pay for it - it is not the other teacher's fault the OP broke the iPad.

16. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 16, 2015

You don't think it's incredibly reckless to leave an i-pad on the middle of the rug without a protector?

That being said, I would hate this to cause friction---so will offer to pay for it.

17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 16, 2015

Did the school provide a protector?

If they did and the teacher refused to use it, then perhaps I'd only offer to pay half even though the best sleeves and cases don't protect from high impacts.

I don't purchase protective equipment for school property, and would balk if anyone implied it was my place to do so.

18. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 17, 2015

I don't think it is incredibly reckless.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2015

Not reckless. Teachers and kids work with iPads on the floor, outside, in a variety of locations at my school. That's the beauty of them.....and even with a case on it, the screen would have most likely cracked. They are made to be portable and useable anywhere but they're not made to be stepped on. :sorry:

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 17, 2015

Blocks AND the Ipad on the floor? Not a very tidy classroom. It was an accident that probably could have happened to anyone. You weren't using it and dropped it. If that was the case then I think you'd be more responsible.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2015

I'm guessing the teacher was working on setting up her classroom.

22. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Aug 17, 2015

How did you jump to the conclusion that this is a "habit"? It sounds like she was probably setting everything up and found a workspace on the floor.

I don't see any ambiguity here. Accidents happen. Own up to them.

23. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 17, 2015

If I were the other teacher, I would not expect you to pay for it. It would make me happy if you are offered, but I would politely say no thanks and pay for it myself. I do use my iPad everywhere, but I try not to leave it in an area where it may get damaged.

24. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 17, 2015

Response of aquaintance, which I think is right on the money:

Consequence of putting iPad in the floor where it is meant for people to walk, not for an iPad to be. How was teacher B suppose to know an iPad would be sitting on the floor designated for her feet to walk??Teacher B: "wait, I better look down everywhere before I walk to make sure there's not an iPad to step on"??

Proper and ethical approach should come from Teacher A: "no it's not your fault, I should have not have set it on the floor...what was I thinking?! NOT your fault Teacher B!"
    Would be different, however, if the iPad was on a desk and Teacher B knocked it off and it cracked on the floor. But even still it's an accident and the school SHOULD have insurance for those very mistakes..

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2015

Has school started for that teacher, burgandy? If said teacher was working in her classroom setting up (as evidenced by blocks on floor?), do you not see how she might have her technology wherever she was working? iPads are a great resource fr pulling up ideas on classroom organization, chart samples , bb ideas, library leveling...even during the school year with kids in my room, I can be Lund sitting on the dpet with a laptop or iPad...you not only stepped on the iPad but tripped over blocks...did you not notice the room was somewhat 'under construction'?

26. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 17, 2015

I get using it the iPad wherever. That part is fine. However, if I'm no longer using it, I set it someplace safe. If a teacher came in and I had to stand up, I would set it on a table or desk. I certainly don't leave my phone or laptop sitting on the floor even though I may have used them there.

27. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2015

I believe there is no right or wrong answer. I think that many respondents are simply stating that within their own code of ethics, the person breaking the object would offer to make restitution. It is what they would consider honorable and the right thing to do. The dissenters are simply stating that you don't deserve to have nice toys if you can't take care of them, so how can it be the fault of the person doing the breaking, but lands squarely on the owner of the object to keep it "safe", as if there truly is such a place.

I am firmly in the first camp, and tried very hard to teach my son the same. At the same time, he wasn't always careful with his things when young, and some were ruined by friends playing rough. Our response to the inevitable offer at restitution was a polite decline and assurance that no one was to blame. Let me go a little further, however, to state that the son learned those lessons so well that you have to practically sign your life away to use something of his, because you "might break it." He doesn't actually volunteer much except his time, and he is very careful with everything he owns. :eek:

The good part, as the parent, however, came about recently when the grown son did inadvertently break a colleagues coffee mug when sitting on the desk. Over much protesting Devin searched high and low to replace the broken mug, simply because it was the right thing to do. Under his breath I bet you could have heard him mutter "you should take better care of your things." I can live with that, because it means he learned both lessons very well. :thumb:

28. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2015

I don't think that a teacher should be held financially liable for school-issued equipment that was damaged or destroyed in an accident. Things happen. Still, if precedent demands that someone pay for the damaged item, I think it's fair that you both pay half. While the teacher shouldn't have left the unprotected iPad on the floor while it was outside her immediate control, you should have been more careful where you were stepping. There is equal liability there, at least as I see it. I have no idea what the law has to say about liability in this type of issue.

29. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2015

Yes it is First see what the school does about it they may just give her another one that is what my school did when mine was stolen from my car ...........

30. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2015

My thought is, She invited you to her classroom she "knew" the iPad was on the floor (even if she forgot), she should have perused her room for "dangers," does a iPad belong on the floor (not having been put up after use) I guess I watch too much 'Judge Judy'
    What if a parent had stopped by to say hello and stepped on it, would you ask her to pay?