Brochures?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Enseignante<3, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Enseignante<3

Enseignante<3 Companion

Aug 9, 2011

I've been thinking about making a brochure...

What are your thoughts on them?
    What should I include? I'm thinking definitely philosophy and credentials but what else?
    Send it with my resume/cover letter?

Thoughts? I'd appreciate it :D

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 9, 2011

Welcome to the board! :)I guess you can do a brochure if you want. Although I'm sure other applicants do this too, it shows that you went the extra mile to put it together, but I don't really see what you can add that you can't type in your cover letter, resume, &/or letter of intro or intent. Your philosophy is a good extra to put in the brochure. Maybe a sample lesson plan (shrunken down to fit). I assume this is going to be a trifold brochure as opposed to 1/2 fold right?

I don't know what else. I personally never did this & now that I'm out of the teaching field & switching gears to a field that's in more of a high demand & more desperate for people, I don't see myself having to find ways to stand out as much.

Good luck though!

4. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 9, 2011

I have a brochure and I think it's helped me get several interviews (I still need help on the actual interview part, lol). I have some pictures, a paragraph about my philosophy, some quotes from letters of rec, a section on literacy & one on technology. It's like a mini portfolio & gives them a glimpse into your teaching style a little more than a cover letter I think.

5. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 9, 2011

And yes, I sent it along with my resume & cover letter, along with copies of my certifications and the district application if there was one.

6. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Aug 9, 2011

Yes. I'm pretty sure that is what helped me get 2 of my 3 interviews. One of the interviews has already offered me a job.

I added the following categories on one section of the brochure:
    -why do you teach?
    -what do you teach?
    -how do you teach?
    -how do you measure your effectiveness?

I have my contact information and a quote that represents my classroom. I also put future goals on the brochure. Other than that, most of the information is from my resume.

7. Enseignante<3

Enseignante<3 Companion

Aug 9, 2011

Thanks for the help! I'm definitely going to start working on one, even if it's too late for the start of the school year :)

8. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Aug 9, 2011

I gave out brochures when searching for a job and everyone seemed impressed. I would give each interviewer a brochure. I can't remember clearly what I had on there but I think I had my education backgroud (the university I attended and the school I internshiped with) my philosophy of teaching, my strengths ...

I say do it!! :)