Brochure

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kitegal89, May 10, 2013.

1. kitegal89

kitegal89 Rookie

May 10, 2013

I'm debating whether or not to do a brochure. It seems a little gimmicky to me, especially since I'm just starting out and I don't have a lot to include.

How necessary is it to have a brochure? Does it really stand out? And what should I include in it as teacher starting out?

Thanks for your help.

3. redtop

redtop Companion

May 10, 2013

I have no idea if this is too gimmicky, but you could do a brochure and then put it on a flash drive and pass it out. Custom-logo flash drives will cost you about $7 each in quantities of 25.

I'm of the school of thought that any opportunity to remind someone that you exist is a good thing.

4. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 10, 2013

I don't know that giving someone a flash drive with your brochure on it would be that effective. If I was an admin and given a flash drive, I'm not sure I would look at the flash drive... it just seems like a lot of work to plug in the flash drive (assuming it doesn't have a virus) and open a file, when I could just be handed a brochure in my hands. Technology is great, but it's not always the answer, imo.

5. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

May 10, 2013

Why would you make a brochure just to pass it out on flash drives?? That makes no sense to me. Plus, at $7 a pop, that is crazy expensive.

However, I would say to make a paper brochure and include it with every resume packet you send. I included my credential info, snippet of educational beliefs, quotes from my letters of recommendation, prior experiences (field placements, volunteering, etc). I used Vistaprint to make & print my brochures. They had many different formatting ideas and designs, and it gave me the opportunity to add a little color to my resume packet. I thought they were decently priced...not as cheap as printing them on a normal printer, but much cheaper than putting them on flash drives. :)

Good luck with your search!

6. redtop

redtop Companion

May 11, 2013

The point of a flash drive is not to give them the brochure. The point of the flash drive is to give them something that will have your name and phone number on it, that will end up in their desk or on their keychain, and remind them that Kitegal is looking for a job.

A brochure will definitely end up in a file and eventually in a trashcan.

But as I said, I don't know if this is over-the-top marketing or not.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 11, 2013

A flash drive is generally NOT going to get loaded onto someone's computer, or lay around on a desk as a reminder...those who are in hiring positions are not looking for tchotchkes...
    Many here on the forums have had success with using brochures...do a search...you'll find quite a few threads on how members have formatted them...and instead of $7 per hard drive, you could run off many, many brochures for the same amount of money.:thumb:

8. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

May 13, 2013

I found the success of my brochure to be completely up to the mood of the school district. I spent a lot of time on mine, got rave reviews from my co-workers when I was a sub, and felt super confident about it.

The first interview that I took it on, the panel basically laughed and rolled their eyes at it. The second panel loved it and luckily I had enough for every member when they all asked for one.

I got offered a job at the second school and have been happily employed there for a year and a half. The secretaries and admin are still talking about it.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 13, 2013

This.

10. Tokeyoteaches

Tokeyoteaches Rookie

May 15, 2013

I would suggest doing one!! I had great success with mine :)

11. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Jun 8, 2013

I'm in the process of creating a brochure for an interview I have Tuesday. What type of paper do you print it on?

Regular white computer paper or something better?

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 8, 2013

I'd at least use card stock.