Brochure for Job Hunting (teaching)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by McKennaL, Mar 2, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 2, 2009

I am intrigued by the idea...but I would sure like to SEE one to know exactly what is included and how it's laid out.

Does anyone have a link showing one...or mind sharing theirs?

Thanks!

3. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Mar 2, 2009

I just made one the other day but haven't used it all yet so I don't know how great it is but if you send me your email address through a PM I'll send it to you along with the sample someone here emailed me.

4. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Mar 2, 2009

McKenna - I'm not sure, but I think it would be divided into thirds. First third, title page with contact information. Then, open up and have professional experience on one third, education on one-third, and related experience on the last... not sure. Would love to see one, too! Although, I'm too afraid to try it.

5. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Mar 2, 2009

I'd be glad to e-mail a "brochure" style page I made to bring with me to interviews. I was an "alternative certification" participant and school districts were always "scared" to see that on paper. This pamphlet that I made described how selective my teaching program was, the minimum requirements, etc. It also highlighted some of my other qualities and experiences. Would love to share it if you PM me with your email address. Mine was just a flat one pager that I put in my interview portfolios for interviews I attended. I was told by the principal of the school that hired me that they liked my "spunk" and the brochure helped to show them that. I typically would print the brochure on one side of the paper with my resume on the back (thick, glossy, nice bright white paper). I did it to differentiate me from the other 8376364 candidates for the jobs.

6. newteacher08

newteacher08 Companion

Mar 3, 2009

I am interested also!

When I was student teaching there was a new teacher there that had just been hired......she had a mini-portfolio that she gave to every interviewer and the principal said that is what made her stand out.....it is just so expensive to make one of those!

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2009

I have a sample brochure, too, if you want to see it just pm me your e-mail address and I'll e-mail it to you.

8. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2009

I did a brochure and I have used it several times. I have gotten lots of great comments about it. I even have a power point on a CD that I take with me and leave for them to look at another time. SOmething to make me stand out from the crowd. (i dont take CD to Job fairs just to interviews) My brochure I did on a specific program so I am not sure that you can open it, but I would definately reccommend that you make one up!

9. Age5Rocks

Age5Rocks New Member

Mar 6, 2009

HI Guys! I am new here and have a job fair in 3 weeks. I'd love to see a brochure as well. How do I go about sending a PM? Thanks!!

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2009

:welcome: Age!

11. dacky

dacky Rookie

Mar 7, 2009

I recently made a brochure that I've been submitting with my resume to human resources and principals of schools. I brought it to an interview and it was a huge success. The interviewers even commented about how different it was and how it really gave them a better picture of me. It is trifold- the front has my contact info, the back has my teaching goals, the inside contains my qualifications, philosophy of education (shortened), quotes from parents from my aftercare program and an about me section (that has been the clincher...it gives people the full picture of me). I've even included 2 pictures in it to put a face to a name.

I'd be glad to send a copy to anyone interested, just pm me.

12. Quiggs

Quiggs Rookie

Mar 7, 2009

I am also interested in the brochure. It seems like a great way to make yourself stand out.

13. Joanne

Joanne New Member

Apr 11, 2010

Please will you email me your brochure? I would really appreciate it. Thanks! Joanne

14. Joanne

Joanne New Member

Apr 11, 2010

Please can you send me a copy of your brochure? I would really appreciate it. Thank you Joanne

15. Joanne

Joanne New Member

Apr 11, 2010

Please can you send a copy of your brochure? I would love to see it. Joanne

16. Miss Snix

Miss Snix Companion

Apr 12, 2010

Sounds interesting and different :) Would love to see one too

17. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2010

If you want to see the brochure, you need to PM me with an email address. I can't send it via pm. Thanks!

18. teacherCA

teacherCA Rookie

Apr 12, 2010

I am new as well! I would love to see a sample brochure. How do new posters send a pm?

19. Miss Snix

Miss Snix Companion

Apr 12, 2010

Thanks for sharing it :)

20. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 13, 2010

Just a note to new members...

This thread was started over a year ago. The people who offered a brochure a year ago might not have them available or even be current members now.

If you are looking for a copy of a brochure, make sure that you are requesting it from people who are on the NEWER end of the responses.

21. Miss Snix

Miss Snix Companion

Apr 14, 2010

What are people printing their brochures on? Just regular white printing paper, stiffer paper or something else?

22. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Apr 14, 2010

I used glossy "brochure paper" from Staples. It was doublesided and I did my resume on the other side. I placed it in the folder resume side up, and if they were interested they could turn it around to see the beauty that was my brochure.

23. she19o4

she19o4 New Member

Feb 13, 2012

brochure sample

I would like to create a brochure for my interview next month. Can anyone help get me started? Does anyone have a sample that they would be willing to share?

24. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 14, 2012

I see this thread is really old, but I also had the same question. I've googled forever and haven't been able to come up with a sample brochure to look at even though I keep hearing it's something good to have for job fairs and I am attending two coming up. Do you typically use the brochure in place of or in addition to the cover letter? I assumed it would not replace the resume. For my March job fair it's just for one metro area so there are only about 10-12 districts coming. I planned to research each district and tailor CL's for each of them. Would having a brochure and resume on top of that be "too much"? I feel like if I had to choose a tailored CL would be better than a brochure, especially since this first one is a smaller fair.

25. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 14, 2012

I noticed the thread is really old, too, but I have the same questions as she and waterfall!! It is almost impossible to find sample brochures online, and I am going to job fairs next month as well...

Also, do people send an electronic copy of their brochures with online applications? Maybe a one page version? About 95% of CA jobs use online applications, so I've been wondering this...

26. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 14, 2012

Same here with the online apps- I assume it's like that everywhere. I was only planning on using brochures (if I can figure out how to make one, haha) for job fairs since the online apps I've seen have specific spots for specific things (upload cover letter here, upload resume here) etc. and I wouldn't want to replace a traditional resume or CL with a brochure on an app.

27. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 14, 2012

Our online apps ask for specific things, but you can really upload whatever you want; they're not placed into specific "spots." So I could upload something else...of course, there's no guarantee they'd ever LOOK at it, but it's worth a try I guess...;) I guess I'd rather attach it and have no one look at it than not attach it and wonder if anyone would have looked at it... :lol: this job search stuff is maddening!