Brining lesson plans to interviews question

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MsMar, Aug 4, 2012.

1. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 4, 2012

Bringing lesson plans to interviews question

I'm curious.... I know a few people who have gotten jobs or just shared about their interviews have said they referenced lesson plans during the interview. I'm curious, for the people that bring lesson plans, how many do you bring? One each for each core subject you teach? A few of each?

Our lesson plan submissions are pretty simple (like for math we just write the objective and reference the page number in the book and maybe two sentences on the plan) so anything I'd want to share about I'd need to actually write a detailed plan for. So, just wondering how many of these it would make sense to do.

It makes total sense that being able to reference an actual lesson plan when describing something makes it a better explanation so I was just wondering how most of you went about it.

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 4, 2012

If you teach from a textbook, I wouldn't reference those lesson plans.

Have you created a lesson of your own that worked really well? If you have, write that up to add to your portfolio. If you don't, write one or two using different learning styles and differentiated levels.

4. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Aug 4, 2012

I have 3 in my portfolio that are examples of the different kinds of lessons I do. I do have the actual written out plans (in detail, its how I have to write them now until they become more automatic for me) but I rarely reference them. I have pictures and other "props" to give a visual on how the lesson panned out that I use to help with my verbal explanation.

I'm secondary, so it is all the same subject area, but different types of lessons. I have a technology lesson (based on a choose your own adventure game....it rocks if I do say so myself :whistle: ) , critical reading/primary source lesson, and then a role playing/cooperative group lesson. All three were some of my most successful lessons and I have student work to go along with them. I can use at least one of those to answer nearly any question (Including some behavioral questions). In every interview I've had so far (about 6) I've referenced all of those lessons in some context. They are very simple lessons, but had a HUGE impact on the kids learning.

I also have an example of how I give notes in my portfolio.

And then I have a lesson for the "Tell me about a time a lesson failed, and how did you fix it?" question. That one isn't in my portfolio, because, well, it doesn't need a visual to be explained.

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 4, 2012

Oh, I definitely wouldn't use one of my actual lesson plans that I submit at school, they are way too basic. So I'm trying to gage how many detailed plans it would be good to have in a portfolio. I have one good math one but want to add more and am looking for advice on how many it would be good to add in.

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 4, 2012

Thanks TeachingHistory. I'm kind of thinking ahead for next year as far as the plans and taking photos of the kids doing the lesson is definitely something I plan to do.

7. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 4, 2012

I include lessons that I think have worked the best as well as lesson in which I have been observed on and have an observation report to go with the lesson. If you are one main subject area I would include a few (3) lessons that show different styles of teaching. Perhaps one is where you analyzed a song, another you worked on mapping skills, etc. Definitely use that portfolio. Even if they dont ask, I usually mention it. My new P was impressed that I had one and was impressed with what was in it. I had my detailed lessons plans and he liked that.

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 4, 2012

Good advice about ones with observation reports. Will need to pull out my old observations and see what lessons I did! I've only been in 5th for one year so most of my observations from my district are from when I taught Family and Consumer Science but I know I have at least one formal written observation from 5th grade. Thanks for the advice.

9. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 4, 2012

No problem, good luck!
    I am certified in ss and spec. edu and keep them both in the same port (I separate them using tabs) but I like to show the person who is interviewing me that I can handle teaching multiple subjects. Depending on what position I am interviewing for, I move that concentration up front.

If I were you I would have lessons of your Family and COnsumer Science, it shows that you are versatile and it may make you more marketable. Maybe you wont get the job you are going for but maybe they will think of you for something else.

Also, if you have any student work, include that (of course blackout student names)

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2012

I only include one detailed lesson plan in my portfolio. I have one in my portfolio to show that I can write lessons and differentiate in my lesson, while constantly keeping assessment in mind.

However, I have a few examples of different ideas for each subject. I have two math examples of materials that I have made and use in my classroom. I have three or four reading examples of materials that my students use. I have 2 writing examples and 1 social studies example.