Bringing your own work...

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by boppaid2002, May 18, 2006.

1. boppaid2002

boppaid2002 New Member

May 18, 2006

Hi. I was wondering...I 've heard it said many times that a sub should always bring their own work for the kids to do in case the teacher did not leave lesson plans. (or sufficient lesson plans) How would a sub know what to bring? Usually, the sub has no idea what they've been working on? Just age-appropriate activities? :thanks:

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 18, 2006

Math puzzles, themed crossword and wordsearch puzzles, a great picture book that is suitable for all ages can be a terrific writing prompt, a book of funny poetry, trivia games.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 18, 2006

you always need a bag of tricks... there are many workbooks for subs out that have good ideas. Pick up a few good read aloud books, crossword puzzles, etc.

5. swsmith63

swsmith63 Rookie

May 27, 2006

I always bring reproducibles for the grade and subject I'm teaching. I have never not had a teacher leave something, but there is often time left over, or someone gets done early. Having something new and different also helps keep the classroom orderly. Sometimes, I let the students work in groups on a topic, become the experts, and then give short mini-lessons to the rest of the class. I give them fifteen or twenty minutes to review their notes, texts, or worksheets on a specific topic--each group gets a different one--and then each group takes turns giving a five to seven minute review. The kids love to have the chance to be their own sub!

6. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

May 27, 2006

I have never really needed my own work. I've always had a full day of plans but as mentioned before sometimes there is time left over. Early finishing individuals get to do the things the teacher lets them do...usually read or have a little free time. I always check the quality of the work before I let them do anything else. It's often hastily done. When it's the whole class we often play a game. Sparkle is a great one. If you don't know their spelling list just use the dolch list or commonly misspelled words that would be appropriate for their age. Carry stickers or Jolly Ranchers (buy in 5 lb bags at Sam's Club, Costco, Winco or also in bulk at Winco) as a reward for the winners. Carrying puzzles and worksheets that are multi age appropriate isn't a bad idea.

7. HannahB2

HannahB2 Companion

Jun 9, 2006

As a permanent teacher, I try to leave exactly what I was planning on doing if I were there. If a sub does bring extra material, even if it is only a wordsearch or some other type of busy work, it shows me that they are dedicated and that I would want them as a fellow teacher.

=] Hannah

8. iharding

iharding Companion

Jun 9, 2006

These are great ideas. I have been wondering the same things. I might be a building sub next year if I don't get my own classroom. Keep the ideas rolling. I would also like to know of some other ways to impress the teachers so they want you to come back. What are some things that make you smile after a sub has been there. I know last year I hated when there was a sub because things were always missing from my desk. The kids got in there when they weren't looking.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2006

Do...follow the plans I leave as closely as possible.
    Don't...write a note complaining about every little misbehaviour.
    Do...write a note telling me what did and did not get done.
    Don't...assign detentions that I need to follow through with when I get back.
    Do...be sure to do any yard or lunch duties that you are supposed to (otherwise, I need to pay someone back!)
    Don't...allow students to leave the room a mess.
    Do...treat my students with respect and they will respect you.
    Do...treat my students the way you would want your own children and students to be treated by a supply teacher.
    Do...LOVE YOUR JOB!

10. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2006

That's a tall order for us subs...:D
    Thanks all for your good ideas. My #1 problem has been some variation of "We did that already!" whether the material is something I brought in, thinking it would be interesting, or a lesson the teacher has left. Any suggestions of how to gracefully handle those? Similar situations are "We learned that story last year," "That's so boring," "She's going to---" (there goes my surprise!) It probably sounds silly of me to get so thrown off by these classic teacher-attacks, but they really do get to me. Please help!

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2006

:rolleyes: I know that for many subs it is not an ideal situation, but kids are very savvy and can pick up on whether or not you like what you are doing. I had a sub in my classroom last year (I was doing some in-service training in the classroom next door) who told my class, "I really don't want to be here, but I need to sub to pay the bills until I can get a real job". They ate her alive! (and I sent her packing at lunch time to try to salvage my class) In my school, administration takes a very close look at the substitute teachers who come into our school. Those who are cheerful, hard-working, diligent and professional get called back again and again; they are also at the top of the list when we are hiring long-term occasionals.

12. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 11, 2006

"good, then you'll be GREAT at it!" "Great... I found it difficult, can you help me?"

13. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jun 11, 2006

MrsC: This does make a lot of sense. However, I have covered many classes where the teacher's actually have given me a "head's up" about certain difficult students, and have given me the permission and authority to assign suspesion. It is a rare occasion, and when I am aware of this I still try and give that student plenty of chances to proove themselves. However, if it is a big problem, per the teacher's request I will follow through on it. A disruptive student can be a catalyst for the rest of the class, and sometimes sending them home is the best option.

Nasimi77

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2006

Here, we do not have the authority to suspend students--that is the responsibility of the administration. I am all for having my distruptive students removed from the class (to the hall, another classroom, the office); I know better than anyone how they can set the tone for the classroom. I always leave detailed information about the best ways to deal with the "heavy hitters". What I haven't appreciated have been the times (on more than one occasion) when I have been left a note by a supply that they have assigned students detentions to be served during recesses or after school once I return. In order to support the supply I need to follow through, but have often had my own schedule disrupted because of this. On the other side, I have had a supply who knew she was going to be in the school the next day assign detentions to be served with her.

15. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jun 11, 2006

Trust me, I try and make things as less complicated as possible for the teacher I am covering for. I know that if it was my classroom, I wouldn't want a mound of problems to come back to. I also make this clear to my students, and make sure the room looks as nice, if not better for their returning teacher. And as I said, even when I am given the "ok" to give suspension or detenion, I still hesitate. I usually will even ask the neighboring teacher if they are aware of this student and ask for other suggestions. Subs dont really want that responsiblity anyhow. That is too bad about the sub you overheard saying that they didn't want to be there but they needed a paycheck just the same. Yikes. I agree, we all, subs, teachers, aids..need to teach, guide, instruct with enthusiasm. Our students deserve that much from us, because they are smart and can sense when a teacher or sub doesn't really want to be there.
    I have learned a lot in my 5 yrs of subbing, and the main thing I do is let the teacher know what work we accomplished, and I also let them know about the students who were really great and helpful. I know that a positive note to come back to is much more welcomed. :)

N77

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2006

nasimi77--you can come and supply in my class any day! (In fact, I'm off Wednesday to work on report cards; are you free by any chance?):D

It is unfortunate that the "terrible" few give the great supply teachers a bad name. With the exception of a couple, I have usually been thrilled with the teachers who have covered my classes when I'm not there. I know what a difficult job it is to work in other people's classrooms. My hat is off to you all....

17. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jun 11, 2006

MrsC....If I was in Ontario Canada, I'd totally sub for you! :) Bummer. Still, thanks for your great suggestions on this board, I find your insights very helpful. Subbing is hard, but I know teaching is tough too. I just wish schools would learn to appreciate all the staff members...afterall..I thought we were here for those precious kiddies ya know? ;-)
    Have a great weekend. (what's left of it)
    Nasimi77

18. boppaid2002

boppaid2002 New Member

Jun 26, 2006

Thanks!

I started this thread once, so very long ago! I had problems with my computer and recently returned to find all these great suggestions!! Thanks so much!! :)

19. shadowrose45

shadowrose45 Rookie

Jul 3, 2006

HI

When I sub, I always ask in advance what class I"ll be subbing, and the grade level.

I have a 'list' of materials that I take with me. I often find that there aren't enough materials to keep the students busy for an entire period.

For instance, if I'm doing Earth Science, I may take a search and find on Astronomy.

I always have more than one thing to do-- because you just never know what may happen when you get there.

I also always leave the teachers desk neat, I leave a note on the classes, something along the lines of...

Dear Ms. Smith

I enjoyed subbing for you today. I had no difficulties implementing your plans. I graded the X assignments that were turned in at the end of class. For those students that didn't complete the assignment, I told them to bring it back completed for you to review today.

Sincerely,

Bla bha

A little tip... If it's my classroom, and there is a letter from a sub stating nothing but problems, I'm going to know that the sub has classroom management issues.

I never refer a student to the office unless absolutely necessary. And I always try and point out positives in the letters I leave.