Bringing your lunch to school

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Jul 2, 2012.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 3, 2012

As a diabetic, I have been told that it is unlawful for an admin to refuse me the right to a fridge in my room. That being said, I have both a microwave and a fridge in my room, and have had for the past 4 years. We only get a 20 minute (sometimes) duty-free lunch, so I often end up eating during my planning period (if there isn't a meeting). I have a Greek yogurt/natural pb/truvia/cinnamon "sundae" that I eat a lot for lunch - it's light but filling! I also tend to keep a couple of Healthy Choices, and some of those tall microwave soups with the mini noodles in them - usually 100 calories or less. I keep cheese & crackers, and maybe a small container of yogurt and my favorite salad dressing for when I bring salads - that way I don't have to transport it. Sometimes I have leftovers, too. We aren't allowed to go off campus during the day, so if I forget something (and don't have cash for the not so great cafeteria food), I'm out of luck!

2. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 3, 2012

I ate school lunch and put on weight.
    Now, I almost always have a salad. I bring the goods in on Monday and build salads all week.
    We have a 'fridge in our work room to store our lunches.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2012

We have two fridges and 3 microwaves in our staff room and one fridge each in the office and the caretakers' room. We aren't allowed any appliances (including kettles and coffee makers) in our classrooms or offices due to Health and Safety and insurance regulations.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2012

In your room?? Why?

I can see how you would need access to insulin and/or sugar. But why refrigeration?

If you worked in an office, would you have the legal right to a fridge in your cubicle?

Sorry, I've just never heard of this before. I teach several kids who are diabetic, as is Peter, and it has never occurred to me that there might be a legal mandate that they have a fridge in each classroom.

5. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jul 3, 2012

Seeing how I have to pack lunches for my own kids, I normally take left overs for lunch. Adult lunches are $3.50, so I bought myself a "31" (hope I can say that) lunch bag for this next year. =) And I eat lunch in my classroom most of the days so I can get grading, planning, phone calls, and meetings done.

Salads w/lunch meat
    Lettuce Rollups with meat/cheese
    Left over meats/cheeses
    Veggies cut up with dressing in a little container (I bought a stock of disposable lids and containers from the Cash N Carry Store we have...I know, not "environmentally" friend, but it works for packing lunches for my busy family.)

I forgot to add...once a month my team and I do a crockpot soup or electric roaster something for lunch. We go all out from napkins, table clothes, desert, etc. I look forward to those days!

6. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2012

I take a lot of the frozen 'healthy' meals.
    I also have a box of cereal and skim milk at school.
    Frozen veggies for two add well to sandwiches.

A single teacher at school makes meals and then freezes leftovers into individual portions.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 3, 2012

I always had to bring my lunch, because we had nothing around us for a 20 minutes radius. We had fridge / microwave in the lounge, but I almost never used it.

This is what I usually brought in:
    - salad, almost always
    - scrambled eggs, mostly made with egg whites
    - steamed veggies. they were cold, but it was ok, I didn't feel like heating it up
    - jello I made at home
    - Greek yogurt - they were fine without refrigeration
    - sandwiches sometimes
    - fruit
    - sometimes even chicken and other leftovers, potato, and they were all good without the fridge
    - lately I started bringing in protein shakes, home made energy bars.

My problem was, I would skip breakfast, didn't eat snack, so the first time I ate was 11:30 am. I was going to the gym 4-5 / week, took a Zumba class 3-4 times / week, and couldn't loose weight. The one week I started eating breakfast and snack before my lunch, I lost 4 lbs! I ate 6 times / day, went to the gym and lost all 4 in 1 week. So I've been keeping it up.

If you get into the habit of packing your lunch the night before / wake up early, it's not that hard. I have several lunch bags, one really big, can store bigger containers, and some smaller ones, they really helped.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2012

I have a colleague across the hallway from me who has a fridge to keep her meds cool. Another colleague, who is a close friend, doesn't have a fridge despite being a severe diabetic. He tests his sugar in the men's room a few times a day and carries a backpack with him containing test strips and gummy fruit snacks in case he's feeling low.we have a big fridge in the centrally located facuity room in which most put their lunches and drinks so teachers can easily access their bags when needed...in the case of medical needs, the nurse is only an Intercom message away and we are good about covering for each other if emergencies arise. I wish you health, pwhatley.:hugs:

9. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 3, 2012

I have a refrigerator, microwave, hot water dispenser, and toaster oven in my closet. It's like a little apartment in there. My daughters attend school where I teach, so I like to keep stocked on after school snacks. They are patient and stay late with me just about every day.

I basically live on Trader Joe's frozen Indian food all school year. Butter Chicken, Paneer Tikka Masala, and Palak Paneer are my favorites. Sometimes I have frozen na'an with it.

10. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 3, 2012

I have to eat 5-6 times a day. I aim to eat around three times at school. Those bento style lunch boxes are perfect for me because I eat smaller portions and I like a lot of variety. You might be interested in checking them out.

I also pack quinoa salads, soups, wraps, sandwiches, stuffed pitas, dinner left overs, pasta salads, fruit, veggies, and little containers of crackers. Sometimes I bring nuts or pumpkin seeds. Also those tuna salad kits are handy.

My quinoa salads are just cooked quinoa with some cooked veggies thrown in. Pasta salad is basically the same thing but I use an Italian dressing and add some chicken. When I make soup for my family I make a double batch and then portion it into small containers for lunches. When I want to take it to school I pull it out the night before (I always pack at night) to thaw. Another thing I do is store a couple cans of soup and a bag of pretzels in my classroom for those really bad days where I forgot my lunch.

You might also be interested in the mason jar salad recipes on pinterest, they look yummy.

11. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 3, 2012

I usually would bring a sandwich, wraps, salad, cheese/crackers, pasta salad, etc. as well as fruit/veggies. I keep them in a lunch bag with a frozen ice pack. I did buy a mini crock pot from Target towards the end of the year and it allowed me to bring a lot more choices (soup, mac & cheese, spaghetti, etc.) since my lunch could heat up throughout the morning. The good thing about the crock pot is that it was sealed up enough that it didn't smell up my classroom. I know when I use one at home, the aroma fills the house so I was worried about the same thing happening at school.

12. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jul 3, 2012

I bring leftovers from dinner the night before. DH and I both get a portion of the leftovers and I typically add a fruit. Now that I am nursing I also bring 2 snacks, usually string cheese and fruit for the morning that I eat between classes and a granola bar for the afternoon.

13. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 4, 2012

I bring lunch almost every day. 20 minute lunch must be with the kids, so there is no eating out. Our group of teachers do have almost monthly special meals to celebrate members' birthdays. My DH almost always makes my lunch - I just grab and go. My lunch box has a freezer pack in it so I rarely need to refrigerate my lunch.

Various things I eat include:
    • a piece of chicken breast with apple sauce or something to dip it in
    • salads
    • sandwiches
    • leftovers
    • slice of pizza
    • I will sometimes buy a whole pie and freeze individual slices
    • sometimes purchase a footlong sub and eat 1/2 for lunch
    • DH will sometimes buy a bagel sandwich for me

I can use the microwaves in the home ec room, use their glass dishes and real silverware - makes lunch a bit nicer. I always have applesauce cups in my desk, drink a nutrition drink every morning for breakfast during homeroom. I'm not a morning person and barely have time to dress before leaving for school. Sometimes I purchase school lunches - their food has greatly improved over the years and there are certain ones I really like, but it is too expensive to do every day.

14. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 4, 2012

I'm so jealous of the poster who gets free cafeteria lunches!! Ours are $4 for the same serving size as the students (theirs are $3.25) =(

I have a few different lunches that I usually bring:
    leftovers from the night before (my fave!)
    cold cereal with milk & fruit
    cottage cheese & fruit
    sandwich & pretzels or baked chips
    stuffed clams (buy these frozen at Walmart and microwave 2 for 3 minutes! Just $4 for 9.) and canned spinach
    salad with chicken (get southwestern grilled chicken from Walmart), almond slices, & dressing
    I take yogurt or fruit for "dessert."

That's about it- nothing too fancy. I ate in the cafeteria too much last year =( Don't want to do that this year. It adds up fast.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 4, 2012

I get free lunches too but most of the time they are not too healthy (sometimes we get really good grilled chicken, assorted veggies, salad). If I'm not eating the food in the lunch room I just bring things to snack on throughout the day. I think it's more mental for me because if I eat a big lunch I am still hungry later on in the afternoon. I bring things like yogurt, protein bars, fruit (oh wait, we get free fruit too :), veggies in a baggie, low sugar cereal in a baggie.

16. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 4, 2012

I don't know where it came from that it was unlawful, but my union rep told me that when she found out I am diabetic. I've luckily never had to even consider using it.

For those of you who snack several times a day (something diabetics are supposed to do), how do you do it? Technically, we have a rule that we aren't supposed to eat in front of our kiddos (many of mine only get "good" nutrition while at school). In addition, from 7:50 - 12:00 (at least the past four years), I have not had any breaks at all (neither have the kiddos, but that's another rant), so I had no time without the students.

One of the first things we talk about at the beginning of the year is the fact that I am diabetic, and that I might need to get a juice or something out of my fridge during the day. I tell my kiddos all about it, even what to do if I somehow become incapacitated (which has never happened). I've been really pleased with the way my kids have received the information and retained it!

17. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2012

I would think that if you needed to have a snack during the morning, and you explained WHY to your kiddos, it would be hard for anyone to say anything to you about it.

18. Avalon

Avalon Rookie

Jul 5, 2012

Great ideas on this thread, thanks for sharing!

I bring salad on Monday, enough for the week. I keep my fridge stocked with string cheese and Greek yogurt. I try to "graze" during the day, string cheese at brunch, apple & granola bar for lunch, salad during prep. Eating all at once messes with my blood sugar, leaving me slow-witted if not downright sleepy.

I keep nuts, granola bars, and graham crackers in a drawer, and a stack of shelf-stable microwave lunches. Hormel Compleats has some that are good and nutritionally sound (check the stats, they differ).

I also keep a basket of fresh fruit on my desk. It adds a colorful, homey touch, and sets a healthy example for students. My students all get free breakfast and free lunch, so I don't feel I have to share.

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2012

I detest frozen dinners. We aren't allowed to leave for lunch--like we even could in 20 minutes. We eat earlier than places can deliver, too. Most of the time I have something that doesn't require refrigeration or heating, like a peanut butter sandwich or cheese & crackers.

We don't have a lounge. I do have a small fridge.

I'll eat cereal. I'll freeze yogurt, and it will thaw by lunchtime.