Bringing your lunch to school

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 2, 2012

I ate out waaay too much last year.

I want to bring my lunches, but sandwiches get old fast, and I always find it a pain to find the right time to prepare my meals (I'm horrible at planning ahead when it comes to food). There's also the question of how to transport and store my lunch when I get to school.

What do you do for lunch, and where do you get brought lunch ideas?

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2012

I would make extras for dinner and bring them in. I would bring them in a cooler or put in the fridge and warm it up in the microwave in the lounge.

4. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 2, 2012

We don't have the option of eating out. Most days I bought mine in the cafeteria (We actually have really good food.). I love to bring pepperoni and cheese cubes or things like that. I try to put them together ahead of time since I hate to be rushed in the mornings.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2012

Leftovers from the night before.
    Big salads. (I bring all sorts of fixings, like grape tomatoes, cauliflower, croutons, corn, and a separate container of dressing, then I mix everything together at lunchtime so it doesn't get soggy.)
    I really love Spaghetti-Os. :haha:
    Cheese and crackers.

6. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Jul 2, 2012

I switch back and forth between leftovers from the night before and Lean Pockets :) I don't have the time or energy to really put effort into "making" my lunch. Every once in awhile I will make myself a bean and cheese burrito and heat it up in the microwave.

7. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jul 2, 2012

I make large batches of soups or chicken salad. I like to bring several things in case I'm not in the mood for something. In my bag you will usually find a yogurt, some fruit, wheat thins or some other type of cracker, string cheese, and some type of main dish like the soup or leftovers from the night before. Occasionally I will bring a Lean Cuisine, but not often. The line for the microwave is too long. Sometimes I bake potatoes and eat loaded potatoes for lunch. Salads with chicken or tuna on them are also big on my list of things to bring for lunch. I don't like school food and I don't want to stand in line part of my precious lunch time to get it.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 2, 2012

I have a fridge in my room and I keep drinks and lunch stuff in there. I usually bring a couple of things to leave in there - yogurt, lean pockets, string cheese, etc... but pack my lunch anyway. Leftovers are one thing, but I try to remake them, like if we have tacos for dinner, I will use the meat for a taco salad the next day. I usually take a fruit cup, tomatoes or carrots, and a sweet - pudding, 100 calorie, snacks, or squeeze peanut butter and a banana. I usually don't eat it all for lunch, some of it is for an after school snack (lunch is at 10:50!) or I just leave it for the next day, but I like having the option.

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012

A lunch box like this http://www.amazon.com/EasyLunchboxe...UTF8&qid=1341279785&sr=8-1&keywords=bento+box or this http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/kitchen/d67f/?srp=2 forces you to pack a variety of foods.

Do you have access to a fridge? One thing I like to do is make a big serving of something and then eat it all week, like a pasta salad. I like pasta, ranch, salsa, black beans, chicken, and a little cheese as one of my faves.

I also like to eat cereal a lot for lunch. I keep a couple boxes in my room and then some milk in the fridge. If you are tempted to go out, keep an emergency lunch in your drawer - a can of soup or chili or a shelf stable meal like those pasta steamers.

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 2, 2012

I bring a variety of foods from sandwiches to wraps to healthy choice entrees to soups to leftovers from dinner. I live by myself so I always have leftovers if I'm in a pinch!

I also try to bring lots of fruits and veggies to snack on throughout the day.

11. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Jul 2, 2012

I eat Lean Cuisines & Smart Ones. Ate Lean Pockets for awhile, but got sick of them. Can't even eat those anymore.

12. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 2, 2012

We get free cafeteria food, however, its not the best. Have you considered using Ziploc bags to separate your sandwich items? It helps from allowing anything to get soggy. I have also purchased a foot long subway and I just eat half one day and half the other day. Even though its "going out to eat" its not as expensive or high in calories. The Velveeta in a cup (mac and cheese) are nice to keep for that just in case moment.

Tonight I made spaghetti for dinner and we had a lot left. ( I don't cook often so I made a bit too much.) In this case its perfect for lunch tomorrow.

I use to eat a lot of frozen foods, but they get expensive. Salads are also a favorite.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2012

Sometimes I buy a package of turkey and a package of flour tortillas and leave them in my lunchbox for the week. Turkey roll-ups are so easy! And I don't have to worry about it every morning. I stick a box of crackers or something in my desk drawer, and a package of apple sauce cups.

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2012

Wow! They will deny us a lunch if we don't have enough in our account to charge it. I've seen them deny teachers a lunch over 25 cents. It's not like they don't know where to find us! So annoying!

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 2, 2012

I usually bring a sandwich or leftovers from the previous night. To keep my food cold, I simply keep an ice pack in my lunchbox. If I bring something that needs to be heated up, I take my lunch to the teacher lounge to use the microwave. A lot of times, though, a nearby colleage will have a microwave in her classroom, so I'll stop by their classroom to borrow it.

The only day I eat out during the week (for lunch) is Friday. I reward myself for working hard all week long!

16. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 2, 2012

You can do what I did...I married a chef!! He prepares all of my lunches for me. I don't have to worry about getting anything ready for lunch. I just take it out of the fridge in the morning at home and pop in the fridge at school. I usually eat a salad daily. Though sometimes I will eat leftovers. My DH also has made wraps which are really easy to eat during a busy lunch time.

17. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 2, 2012

I am great about packing my daughter's lunch, but I stink at doing mine. I keep crackers, a soup in a cup, and diet cokes in my cabinet and ice box at school. I am also lucky, my mom lives five blocks from school. She will send me lunch if I am really desperate.

18. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012

My first year I had a microwave and a fridge in my room (left by the previous teacher.) I brought lean cuisines everyday and it was SO easy. Then she came back and took her stuff back last summer.

This year I never bothered getting my own. In the beginning of the year I packed a lunch then I got super lazy and ate out or didn't eat all the time. (So bad I know.) I got a little better at making lunch the night before around April/May then got lazy again in June.

Next year my co-teacher and I plan on having a fridge and microwave. But one thing I did do at the end of the year which was super easy was bring cereal. I bought those pre-packaged bowls of cereal in target and just stuck one in my bag each day with some fruit or a 100 calorie pack. Then I just got a carton of milk from the school cafeteria. So easy if you like cereal!

19. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012

Um I'm so jealous.

20. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2012

I eat sandwiches when I don't have leftovers. Otherwise, I just take leftovers for lunch. Soups, casseroles, enchiladas, spaghetti, etc.

21. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Jul 2, 2012

I usually do smart ones or lean cuisines. I don't like to put much effort into preparing a lunch, and they're easy. I have a fridge in my room, and there's a microwave down the hall.

22. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 2, 2012

I have a microwave and a fridge in my room. In the fridge I keep stuff for sandwiches, yogurt, string cheese, cottage cheese, etc. Sometimes I bring in a lean pocket or something similar. Once or twice a week I bring leftovers (my wonderful growing sons keep me from having leftovers most days). I also have a drawer that has granola bars, cereal, and other munchies. I don't like to go out for lunch very often and I am NOT a morning person, so this is my solution. Luckily my kids started making their own lunches in 2nd grade because I hate doing it.

23. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jul 3, 2012

I have a fridge in my room. I generally bring yogurt, turkey and cheese roll-up, cut up veggies, tuna and leftovers if my hubby doesn't eat them all. I pack my lunches the night before so that all I have to do is grab it and go. I am too busy in the morning to prepare anything. This year, I will probably stock my fridge every Monday with various food items so that I don't have to pack a lunch at all. I went out a handful of times, but I really tried not to.

24. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 3, 2012

I ate a lot of lean cuisines, which were easy but I'm trying to get away from due to the price of buying an individual one of those for each day. I know it's weird, but I just do not like leftovers. I purposely only make enough for one sitting. Next year I'm going to try to bring healthier things especially more fruits and veggies. Lately even at home I've been really into making a big salad with tons of fruit and some trail mix. I've been having 2 cups of spinach, 1 cup blueberries, and 1/3 cup dried fruit/nut trail mix (not the kind with candy in it). It's a huge salad and with all of the blueberries I find I don't really need dressing, so it's under 300 calories as well with a lot of nutrients! It's super quick to prepare also.

I was really bad about drinking pop for lunch last year too and I'm going to try to do water this year. Of course, now that I'm a classroom teacher there is that pesky business of having to wait 3-4 hours to use the bathroom...so I'm going to have to be careful!

25. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Jul 3, 2012

If you google pictures of bento boxes, you'll get inspired for sure ;-)
    I eat sandwiches, dinner leftovers and wraps.
    My team (collegues from the same grade level and one level up) shares office space an we have a meeting table in the middla of the room which always has fruit, crackers ad choclate on it for those little cravings that appear during the day.

26. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2012

I bring sandwiches or homemade soup and a side of yogurt, fruit, or veggies. And a little treat - maybe a piece of chocolate of a few chips.

The only pain is waiting in line for the microwave... some of those frozen lunches can take up to 6 minutes! We can't have micros in our rooms, so everyone has to share the two in the lounge.

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2012

I bring a lot of leftovers, and try to keep some Lean Cuisine types of meals in my fridge. We have 4 or 5 microwaves in the faculty room, so timing isn't a real problem.

When it's too hot to really eat, I bring in cheese and crackers.

And if I forget or can't come up with anything, there are lots of good choices in the cafeteria. My favorites are the chicken Caesar salad and the mozzerella/ roasted peppers sandwich.

28. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 3, 2012

This coming year will be the first year I won't have a microwave and fridge in my room. :( In our new buildings, we are not permitted to have them.
    I usually bring leftovers, lean pockets, salads, etc. We are limited to where we can go for lunch, so we don't eat out often. Once every two weeks. This year, we went to Subway most of the time.

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2012

In warm months, I bring a big salad with lots of different veggies and some lean protein. In the winter, I bring soup or frozen veggie mix and some chicken. I always add a cup of yogurt and a piece or two of fruit.

30. MsG

MsG Companion

Jul 3, 2012

Some of you get to go OUT for lunch? Wow. We have 25 minutes and have to eat with our kids.
    I usually bring leftovers, but I am also the queen of snacks. Every couple of weeks I stock up on my baggies of snack sized things. I measure out serving sizes of cereal, Cheeze-Its, goldfish, chips, fruit, etc. and put them in baggies. I keep a basket at home, one in the fridge, and one at school. That way all I have to do is grab and go. It's quick and simple. Sometimes I throw cereal bars or things like that in the baskets, but everything in there is easy to eat and simple to grab and throw in my lunch bag.

31. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2012

I have an hour duty free lunch and go out with colleagues once or twice a week. The other days I bring salads, Sandwich Thin with hummus and veg, soup....

32. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 3, 2012

This is the best suggestion yet!!

I cook 1 -2 times a month. I spend entire days making meals and freezing them into lunch size portions. Then I just add a yougurt, fruit and drink and lunch is done!

33. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 3, 2012

I take leftovers or a salad usually. I have a few insulated lunchboxes that I use. I do keep cans of soup and such in my desk just in case I forget. Typically it is my husband that packs everyone's lunches otherwise we'd probably all starve ;)

34. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jul 3, 2012

I like cooking up a turkey breast over the weekend and then slicing it for sandwiches which I pack separate from the bread. Like others, I always back a variety of things - some fruits, veggies, a cookie, a few crackers, cheese, ect. Just in case. I usually end up eating it on the drive home as my snack.

35. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 3, 2012

When I read this thread it made me think of the teacher I work with, she east a hot-pocket, apple, and diet coke every... single... day. :confused: I could never eat the same thing like that.

36. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 3, 2012

Buy yourself a nice, insulated lunch bag w/ a pretty design that's big enough to carry everything in. Carrying a pretty lunch bag will help you look forward to bringing lunch as well. (It's like they say that nice clothing affects the psyche to feel good becuase you look good.) The key is to not get in a bored rut & bring the same things for lunch too often & you want to be healthy too. I've seen teachers pop way too much processed stuff in the microwave just becuase it's quick & easy. That can't be good all the time, so take the time to prepare something healthy & tasty!

Pasta salads
    Lettuce salads
    Sandwiches sometimes (since you said you get bored of them)
    Fruit salads
    Veggies & dip
    Jell-o
    Carrot salad w/ raisins
    Cook some healthy meat (turkey) on Sun & have all week in various ways
    Soups
    Sushi - Various stores sell them in the packs. One of my Ralphs makes good sushi
    Make a quiche & bring a slice or two

Even when you get food out, try to get HEALTHIER foods. Arby's has these nice Marketfresh sandwiches for example. I know someone who'd go w/ her coworkers & get some kind of fast food every single day, but she seemed to stay the same size all year for years, so maybe she hardly ate dinner at home.

37. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Jul 3, 2012

That is what I am planing on doing. I have been spoiled and have had access to a microwave, fridge, and the student lunches too. I wont have any of that this coming year. Plus a 1 hour commute. So I have to plan what I eat. I have been collecting recipes of Pinterest to try out.

38. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jul 3, 2012

I usually take leftovers from the night before or a salad. I bring a lot of food with me to school like granola bars and fruits in addition to my lunch because I find myself all the sudden starving. I bought a 30 piece set of tupperware at Costco and I use those to transport my food to school. I'm too cheap to buy another microwave and fridge just for work, so I use the teacher's lounge or my friend's.

39. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 3, 2012

DH has the same thing every day for lunch: PBJ, a yogurt, applesauce & pudding. It use to also include a coke, he's now drinking only water.

Like others I go for leftovers. I'm the only one in my house that will eat leftovers! I also do Michelina's, I can get them 10/$10, or hot pockets. Oatmeal is easy too.

40. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 3, 2012

Mine has consisted of micro meals, leftovers, occasional sandwich, and salad. I can make excellent salads and my colleagues comment on how great they look, but I forget to do it most of the time :( I have had a microwave and fridge in my room for years, so I usually kept yogurt, string cheese, bottles of water, condiments on hand. I also stocked a pantry with 100 calorie snacks, and other goodies as my son came with me and was usually starving by the time school was out and had a 40 minute commute home. We had to bring personal items home this summer, so I'm afraid we'll be told no micros/fridges next year. They tried it a few years ago but some swift talkers kept it to one per department/grade. Thanks to nursing, I got to be the keeper of it for our department. Oh well.

I hope to do better about salads and such next year. I need to break my habit of 'needing' a large lunch.

41. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 3, 2012

I am so jealous of all you that get to have a fridge and microwave in your room! Apparently that was outlawed under a former superintendent in my district because it "used too much energy". This past school year was my first in the district, and the first for a new superintendent. Hopefully, this guy is a little more reasonable and will consider letting us have them in our rooms. As a former college student, I have a perfectly nice mini fridge and microwave ready to move in!

Last year, I packed a lot of things for lunches. Sandwiches, salads, dinner leftovers, frozen foods. I am usually at school for at least ten hours, so I make sure to pack a lot of snacks as well. My favorite snacks are string cheese, fruit (strawberries, blueberries, bananas, apples), almonds and granola bars.