Bringing In Personal Materials

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cutelilram, Feb 18, 2010.

1. cutelilram

cutelilram Rookie

Feb 18, 2010

I have a lot of children's books that I would love to bring for my students to read because the books that my school supplied are old and boring. My students have little interest in them. However, I don't know if I will be staying at this school nor do I know if this school will remain open being that the City is trying to put a charter school in part of the building.

So, my question is, should I drag the books to my classroom or should I just hold onto the books at my house until I know where I will be next year?

As a side note, when I say books I mean a lot of books! I went crazy during my year in grad school and hit every local yard sale that listed children's books. I have enough children's books to open my own library. Fiction, nonfiction, chapter books, picture books, and everything in between. If I knew that this school was where I was going to spend many years, if not my entire career, then I would bring them in and have the most awesome classroom library.

3. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Feb 18, 2010

If I were you, I would bring in some, but not all of your books since it is already February. I have tons of my own personal books at school. I just make sure my name is in them so I know that they are mine to take if I move rooms or schools.

4. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Feb 18, 2010

I wouldn't bring them all until you have a better idea of where you will be next year, but I would bring maybe 1 or 2 boxes just to add something new to the class. Make sure you write your name in everything that is yours, then if you have to pack up your room at the end of the year you can have some students help you by finding all the books with your name in them. I did this last year and it saved me a lot of time!

5. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Feb 18, 2010

I have tons of books and each weekend I look through them at home and bring in the ones that relate to the themes for the next weeks lessons. This includes themes in math, s. studies, language, etc. I include holiday themed books and also anything else pertaining to my classroom (such as a book about visiting a hospital if a student has a parent who is sick). Then Friday I bring them home and choose some for the following week. I never know where I will teach each year. This is my 3rd year and I'm at my 3rd elementary school. :)

6. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Feb 18, 2010

I agree...don't take them all in. You never know where you will be at. Take what you will use for that week or upcoming month.

7. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Feb 18, 2010

Bring some in. The kids in your class will enjoy reading the books immediately whether or not you'll be at the school next year. Books are meant to be enjoyed, not stuck in a box. I would say just bring in a box or two and LABEL them all with your name. Teach the children that these are YOUR books, you will share, and you would like them treated with respect. :)

I used to have kids sign out EVERY book they borrowed from me. It was a pain and seemed a little over the top. Now, I provide a book for every kid to take home every day. I don't keep track. If I notice a particular kid hasn't brought back books in a while, I'll send a note home. I figure if a few books go missing over the year, it's a small price to pay for my class having a new book to read every night.

Good luck!

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2010

I have hundreds of my own books in my little resource room/Special Ed office. When I teach my class of grade 7/8 students English (in the room next to my office), I usually take in a couple of bins of books that they can borrow if they choose. I also allow the kids to come and borrow books from the large collection in my room--I want them read, not collecting dust. I've lost a few during the years, but I don't worry about that too much--they're reading!

9. dannyboy

dannyboy Companion

Feb 19, 2010

They don't last long any way.

Bring in a lot of books that you don't mind losing. Keep separate books that you know you will want to share as read alouds/special occasion books. No matter how responsible your students are, the books you bring in for them will not last your entire career. If your school is in an area where parents can and do buy books for their kids, don't pass out many. Let the parents do that job. If you are in, or may be going to a area where money is tight, that is where you want to give out most of your books. If they come back and last a few years great, if not...as one writer already said...they don't belong in a box.

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 19, 2010

So, you guys are supplied books for your classroom library?! All of the books in my classroom library (over 800) were purchased by ME in the past few years. If I didn't bring my own books in, my classroom would literally have NO books!

I would bring them in! Isn't it worth it to haul books over if your class will enjoy reading? Isn't that what you bought them for?

11. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Feb 19, 2010

Bring in one crate full. After a week or two, take it home and bring another. The kids will love to dig into the 'new' ones.

12. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Feb 20, 2010

Not me! I've always supplied my own books. I would love to have a library shelf to store them on (where kids can see the fronts of the books) instead of a regular shelf.