Bringing in extra income

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 20, 2010

I work 2x/week at Outback as a hostess. The job is easy, and I like it most of the time, but I wish I could quit to have more time for me. Do you have a home-based side job? How difficult is it? Oh, and Avon is out, it doesn't interest me ;)

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 20, 2010

I did a medical research study over the summer. I've done them before, and they're interesting. It's not actually like work, but the pay is good. I earn from $250-1700 for each study. I've also tested products for companies.

I used to design webpages for people, and I got $75 an hour for that.

I would love to work at a clothing store, but we don't have any here in town.

4. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 20, 2010

How do you find out how to do medical research and test products?

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 21, 2010

6. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Aug 21, 2010

I've done many things over the years for a side income. The most time consuming and probably the least pay for time spent was coaching. I also worked at an auction two nights a week. That was fun and not bad pay.
    I have worked as a textbook reviewer for the state over the summer. Not bad pay and I got to keep all the materials which included a lot of things I can use in my classroom.
    Currently, I am working on items for a couple of local craftshows this Fall. I may also start selling online. I like this because it is fun and not too expensive to start up.
    I did sell Home Interiors and Gifts (no longer exists) when my children were smaller. That was also fun but things changed with the company and I gave it up to teach Adult Ed classes part time.

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 21, 2010

How do you find out about the textbook reviews?

8. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 21, 2010

Have you given any thought to tutoring? Most years of my teaching I tutor at least 2 students afterschool hours. It's a great supplemental income.

My second year teacher I worked at the Origins makeup counter in a department store at the Mall. I really have no idea how I went from teaching all day (on my feet) to standing up at the makeup counter 3x a week from 4 PM until closing, but it was a TON of fun! :D

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2010

This summer I taught an SAT prep class and did freelance math content writing.

Pete taught the Verbal component of the same SAT class and did photography (some for a local studio, some for the local Catholic newspaper, some freelance).

When I was a SAHM I did both tutoring and freelance writing.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 22, 2010

I started something really great from home & when I'm doing increasingly well, I'll be glad to post about it later! :D

11. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 22, 2010

For the past two summers, I have taught private swim lessons.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 22, 2010

I tried to advertise for tutoring but I only got calls for kids who were too far away or for a subject I'm not familiar with so I pretty much gave that up. I went on Craigslist under "Education" and found a tutoring agency. I signed up and am starting after Labor day. They are guaranteeing me 10 hours a week.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 22, 2010

Ms.I...I got your PM about the information and will look it up when I have more time. Thanks!

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 22, 2010

TeacherNY, sure thing! :)

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2010

All of my 'extra income' comes from school or other education related work. I work traffic duty at dismissal at school and teach an afterschool enrichment class for 8 weeks in the fall and again in the spring. I tutor A LOT. I've taught grad classes.

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 22, 2010

I do extra duties at work as well. I get paid extra for being a writing leader and team leader. I had an intern last year, and I have a student teacher this year. (She'll be my intern next year.)

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 22, 2010

If you live where I do, you can't help but find out about them. You see, I am sitting on my couch, looking out my sliding glass door, staring at the campus of a major pharmaceutical research company :D

18. Securis

Securis Cohort

Aug 22, 2010

I make stuff or paint personal murals or I do small remodeling work, which is inconsistent in when I do it and how much I get paid. Sometimes, I just trade for a fishing trip. I also have an after-school program that will hire me whenever they start up. That's pretty consistent and only adds two hours to the regular day. The same kids but in a less restrictive environment doing assignments that are more geared towards 'fun' learning and not so much 'test' learning. They'll probably have me after school this school term and next summer if all goes well.

19. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 22, 2010

I am an independent consultant for Pampered Chef. It's great in that you set your own schedule and work as often (or not) as you'd like. The income is variable though as it is commission so I tend to use it for one-time expenses or fun money.

20. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2010

I refereed for 30 years Football, Baseball, Softball, Basketball, Lacrosse, VolleyBall, Soccer,
    I made fron $3,000 to $5,000 a year at it, Paid for many vacations, Nights out, a extra gift, and a couple of times helped paid for the groceries

21. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2010

I also tutor children. I'm an Orton Gillingham tutor and can charge up to $70 an hour depending upon whether or not I go to their house or do it at school while I'm there.

I used to be a waitress for a mostly summer restaurant here in town and could make easily $10,000 additional there each year. Most of it was during the summer, and then I worked on the weekends and one night a week during the school year. Of course that was when I was in my 20's and 30's and had that much energy. I could never do it now, but it was great money. I did it for about 10 years before I got married. I stopped so I could spend more time with my husband.

It paid my mortgage most months.

Lots of teachers at our school nanny during the summer because our families need it and they charge $10 per hour per child. If they've got 4 kids to nanny, that's $1600 per week. One of our assistants makes a ton of money during the summer so he can continue to be the assistant during the school year.

22. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Sep 4, 2010

I just landed a freelance Education Writer gig, full time. I had to out-write what they say was an overwhelming amount of people. After the original writing submission, my next trial run was 'PhD in Nursing Science.' They liked it and put me on full time, I am very happy about it.

I have to research and write about obtaining PhD's in whatever field they tell me to, and follow an extremely tedious format. I have to produce the articles quickly so I'm trying to pace myself. I don't have a passion for formal writing but it will help keep Sallie Mae off my back for a minute. :help::spitwater:

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2010

I already have 5 hours per week of tutoring scheduled ($70 per hour, cash, off the books) and school hasn't even started yet.:)

24. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 4, 2010

I work as a desk clerk at a local hotel on the weekends. The pay is low, but gives me spending money, which allows my teacher paycheck to all go into the bank.

I also get to use an "Employee Rate" at other hotels in our corporate family, which can greatly reduce the cost of traveling or visiting other places. I took advantage of this most recently when I traveled to Georgia for my GACE assessment test.

Another area you might consider is dictation. You need to be a fast typist and understand medical terminology, but you can make some good money at it if you live in or near an area with enough potential clients (usually an urban area). If you don't know medical terminology, you can often take 1-2 classes at a community college to pick that up.

One of my HS classmates quit her job as an RN in Miami to do dictation full-time at home. She could type 100wpm and (IIRC) had about 6-8 doctor offices she worked for. She did all of this while home-schooling her children and made very good money at it.

I don't know if it would be feasible for you in your area, but it is just another idea to consider.

25. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Sep 5, 2010

I wish I felt comfortable getting a tutoring or other part time job. Our policy handbook STRONGLY DISCOURAGES us from having any additional work. :(
    I could really use the extra money.

26. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 5, 2010

Yarnwoman... that sure bites!!! I think you should be able to STRONGLY ENCOURAGE a RAISE then!! LOL

27. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Sep 5, 2010

I would not think twice about the policy handbook. Teachers are adults and you have a right to do what is best for you and your family.

Though I am still new to it, I have my 1st paying (amateur) photography gig coming up. When I start teaching full time, I plan to be a weekend/holiday/summer photographer. I couldn't care less what the district said.

Go for it.

28. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Sep 5, 2010

I would but because it is a charter school and the way it is written, if admin feels it is affecting out job at the school then we can be reprimanded and possibly let go.

29. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Sep 5, 2010

I would but it is a charter school and so far we have not had any lay offs and because of that I know there is no money for raises. We have not had a raise in two years.