Bringing alcoholic containers to recycle at school

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by lucybelle, Aug 16, 2012.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2012

(okay I realize I've made lots of threads today, this is the last one I promise!!)

Recycling here sucks. No one does it. There's no curb side recycling pick up. But, my school has finally started to recycle. So, instead of throwing away plastic bottles, etc, I now take them to school to recycle.

Thing I'm wondering about- would it be appropriate to bring my glass alcoholic bottles as well? I just hate throwing them away, but that's the only other choice (there's no recycling plant near by, and it'd be impossible to get a recycling truck to come by just one house in the neighborhood). When I bring them in they have no labels, but you can still tell they were alcoholic bottles (think wine bottles mostly). I'd put them in the bins while students weren't around. The last piece of the puzzle is my 7th grade science class goes around to get the recycling every Friday. So they see what's in the bins.

What do you think?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

No. I wouldn't do it...

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2012

It wouldn't be okay at my school.

5. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2012

I would feel uncomfortable doing it...

6. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Aug 16, 2012

I've often wondered about this as well. My nephew's school recycled cans for money to go on a field trip last year and I know they didn't put any restrictions on it, but I often wondered about it...
    I'm interested to see the responses.

7. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 16, 2012

I wouldn't do it, either.

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2012

I remember when I was in 10th grade and our class was asked to bring in cans. The only cans my parents had were beer cans, and my mom refused to buy soda just to have the can. She sent me to school with a beer can with tape over the "Miller" part.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2012

That's funny! But my teachers would have tossed that in a heartbeat!

I do hate that you don't other options.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

It is horrible that you don't have any other options, but I wouldn't take the bottles to school to recycle.

11. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2012

It just kills me to throw them away... :(

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

Hmmm, would it be possible to have a bin in the caretakers' room or the staff room so that students aren't collecting/seeing the bottles?

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

Pinterest has lots of crafty wine bottle ideas...:woot:

14. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2012

That's an idea... I'd have to figure out the logistics. They're the only ones collecting but perhaps I could have them bring me a bag and just sneak it in without anyone seeing...

:lol: Not to snitch on myself, but within a month I could make myself a freaking wine bottle christmas tree:p

15. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 16, 2012

I was on a walk with my grade 1s this year and one of them found a beer can. They were heart broken that someone would litter!! So I carried the can back to school and put it in my desk (we didn't pass a garbage can the whole way back to school). Wouldn't you know that was the day the assistant superintendent came for a visit. Luckily he did not see or smell the can and I promptly took it home at the end of the day and recycled it at home!

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

Some brand of beer has the same colors on its can as diet Pepsi or Coke...a colleague mistakenly brought the beer, not the soda in her lunch bag one day...:blush: it went back in her bag and out to her car!

17. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 16, 2012

I did a recyling project as a fundraiser with my kinders one year. I had some parents send in beer cans. I had 1 Dad who told me that he would bring me cash. . . .he admitted he didn't want me to see what he was drinking.

The only way I would do it is if I could personally put the bottles/cans in an outside recycling bin. (at a time that the kids weren't around).

18. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2012

I bet you aren't the only teacher with this dilemma. Can you talk to other teachers and organize a private recycle bin just for teachers?

19. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Aug 16, 2012

I like this idea. Maybe you could add the "adult recyclables" after the students have already come around to collect the others?

20. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2012

I'm thinking maybe I can just bag up my glass bottles at home in an opaque bag and when it's full bring it in for recycling! I'll already have it labeled and everything so the kids can just put it in the pile without having to do anything.

Thanks for all the input!

21. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 16, 2012

I wouldn't do it, I mean you want to recycle, and if there is no other choice it kinda makes sense, but I can definitely see myself bringing my vodka, rum and ALL the other bottles, and see how wrong that would be :)

I second the idea to look on Pinterest for crafty ideas for bottles and use them around your house. This way you're still kinda recycling.

22. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 16, 2012

Where are they taking them? Why can't you carry them out in an opaque bag to the same place the kids take them. I think if you could carry them out before or after school with no kids around, no one would know what was in the bag.

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

I agree.

24. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

This is what I was going to suggest as well.

25. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2012

They just take them to a gate and leave them there for the truck. Recycling here is very picky and we're still working out the kinks. The kids are having to go through all the recycling and make sure it's washed, in the right bag, etc. Which is why they see all the recycling.

You mention what I've sort of decided to do. I'm planning on just bringing a bag of glass when I have enough and giving it to them to take out.

:thumb::thanks:

26. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

I think that I would carry the bag out and do the sorting myself; I don't think the students should be going through the bags of alcohol bottles.

27. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2012

It's no big deal, as long as you are not an alcoholic.
    You should not feel guilty about drinking a little wine, here and there. You've earned it so you should not care about what anyone thinks or says. People talk anyway, so don't worry about it.
    Rebel1